Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
What camera and lens were using for these nice shots? Unfortunately, CR removes the EXIF now.
D7200 & 200-500. Both are indeed slow for BIF. I have just two attempts for BIF, attached are few photos from the second one
DSC_5422_DxO.jpg
DSC_5426_DxO.jpg
DSC_5530_DxO.jpg
BTW, good luck taking pictures of Estreldids in fly, most of them (all, here on the islands, inkl. the Silver bill) are 2/3 the size of House sparrow with rather unsteady pattern of fly! I agree, faster combo may help somewhat but I don't think it will make huge difference for this type of birds. Anyway, I have plans for faster camera but it's not priority right now.

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
Nice shots ISv, especially the pair of silver-bills.

We're not allowed to divulge the camera brand and type ISv uses on the canon forum:p; but i assume the lens used is a 200-500mm f/5.6 zoom from a good pedigree :D
W.
Thanks Wiebe! Hey, it seems you have a spy-camera in my backpack;)!

AlanF

EOS 5DS R
Aug 16, 2012
D7200 & 200-500. Both are indeed slow for BIF. I have just two attempts for BIF, attached are few photos from the second one View attachment 180505 View attachment 180506 View attachment 180507 .
BTW, good luck taking pictures of Estreldids in fly, most of them (all, here on the islands, inkl. the Silver bill) are 2/3 the size of House sparrow with rather unsteady pattern of fly! I agree, faster combo may help somewhat but I don't think it will make huge difference for this type of birds. Anyway, I have plans for faster camera but it's not priority right now.
Thanks for the info. It's not mandatory to use Canon gear and it is important to learn first hand what other equipment can do. Some Nikon fanboys claim that the 200-500mm is fast enough but when they start rating the new 500mm f/4 or the old 80-400mm against it the truth comes out.

Nat_WA

How about some more free time to take pictures...
Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
Thanks Wiebe! Hey, it seems you have a spy-camera in my backpack;)!
... at times I would like to hide in your backpack myself ;) - see some of Hawai's natural beauty - but no, the information was derived from the EXIF of one of your earlier pictures (before CR decided to strip EXIF). I'm always curious to see how / at what settings the best pictures are taken - in order to learn and improve my own work.
W.

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
Thanks for the info. It's not mandatory to use Canon gear and it is important to learn first hand what other equipment can do. Some Nikon fanboys claim that the 200-500mm is fast enough but when they start rating the new 500mm f/4 or the old 80-400mm against it the truth comes out.
Hmm... If somebody says "fast enough" they probably mean "fast enough", and they do not mean better than lenses with rather different price tag (and targeting different kind of public, especially 500/f4). Also, those who shoot with some of the most recent cameras say it's faster (something that I'm going to check personally when I have a time). It is big, heavy lens, without enough weather protection and... well, it is black:)!

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
... at times I would like to hide in your backpack myself ;) - see some of Hawai's natural beauty - but no, the information was derived from the EXIF of one of your earlier pictures (before CR decided to strip EXIF). I'm always curious to see how / at what settings the best pictures are taken - in order to learn and improve my own work.
W.
Wiebe, since I check my backpack and didn't find anything suspicious I think you are right, you may have it from the EXIF files:D!

dpc

EOS 5DS R
Dec 11, 2013
Western Canada
Cedar waxwing in our neighbour's yard yesterday afternoon. I think this is the first time I can remember seeing one of these creatures without its prominent 'bishop's cap' of feathers displayed. These pictures and the ones following were all taken with the 7DMII + Sigma 150-600mm C.
_36A0266_DxO.jpg
_36A0206_DxO.jpg

Nat_WA

How about some more free time to take pictures...
Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
Nice sets dpc, were the waxwings taken at the longest end of the 150-600?
(as EXIF is stripped by CR - if it was in the picture to begin with - I can't satisfy my curiosity anymore that way :cry:)
Wiebe.