Canada
Nice series, storioni.
smile.png

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Testing EOS-R for birding. Canadian geese migrating south.
Canon EF100-400mm L II, 1/500 sec, ISO 500.
A rectangle of sky on the left, stretching from about 1/4 from the bottom to just over halfway on the right is slightly lighter. What's that due to?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
A rectangle of sky on the left, stretching from about 1/4 from the bottom to just over halfway on the right is slightly lighter. What's that due to?
It was a two shot combined as photomerge panorama in PS. My eyes are getting worse. 20181222 120.jpgPerhaps I should have flattened the image and then convert to JPEG. the SOC JPEG of one without any correction or combination is attached here. Sorry.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Thanks, Storioni. ISV is correct, the cedars disappear to go south from central Alberta in September. I don't recall seeing Bohemians until late fall and then throughout all of winter. In early spring they'll be on the ground eating (gorging) on rotten berries as the snow melts. I've included a shot of that activity from two or three years ago (probably previously posted).

Now Costa Rica - Alan, check; rainy season isn't just rainy and it's more lush.

If it works out we may go in March and stay until April, which I guess would be on the edge of the dry season. That's if we go on the volunteer work project that I tentatively signed up for. Otherwise, being retired, anything is possible.

I signed up for newsletters from: https://www.twoweeksincostarica.com/ and am trying to wrap my head around all the new information. Much like Alan, I'd be most interested in photography and more wildlife than landscape, but both and also a little culture/history.

This is a bird thread but we seem to tolerate various chit-chat and even allow Nikon shooters!;) So, I'm sure everyone would love to hear about Costa Rica, especially the birding.

JackView attachment 182164

Beautiful shot. Strange (from a British perspective) to see waxwings on the ground!

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Beautiful shot. Strange (from a British perspective) to see waxwings on the ground!

It's a little uncommon because they are such group fliers and typically descend on the berrie trees but when the berries have fallen, down they go.

Talk about a weird experience, just going back over old 2013 shots, consider this. The waxwings had been around eating berries (mainly mountain ash) but I hadn't noticed them. It was December and I was out with a super long hose watering a skating rink but quickly stopped and ran for my camera. You can see why. Turns out they get very thirsty and regurgitate the skins!B waxwing Dec 2013 s_0196.JPGCanadian skating party s_0231.JPGSplish splash_04321.JPGSplish splash_04331.JPG

Jack

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Storioni, we enjoy all the shots and there is never a glut so just keep posting. Here I sit in the midst of winter snow so there isn't too much available for me to post. Lovely photos. BTW, did you find the heat plus humidity hard to take when hiking?

Jack
Thanks a lot, Jack! You seem to be quite an expert on waxwings, I can imagine they are almost something like a faithful companion! Looks like a frenzy in these last shots, seems they're having lots of fun!
About the climate: yes, on the coast and in the jungle like Corcovado it's a little unpleasant but i got used to it. You get to sweat a lot. And then you reach a nice little river, take off your hiking shoes and refresh yourself. I could've stayed there all day long! Speaking of hiking shoes, if you go to Corcovado in the rainy season it's good to also have a pair of rubber boots... Cause if you get your shoes wet inside, you'll never get them to dry up again - I made this painful experience... I had to throw them away eventually, after walking two days long with them wet like that.
Otherwise, once you get off the coast and above 1000m it's quite nice. One hike my wife and I did was to the lagoon of the Barva Volcano (3000m altitude) and our hands were freezing because of the cold, the rain and the wind, so better have some gloves too next time going there or places like that...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks guys. Of course I'm no expert on waxwings but once you start shooting them you're bound to learn a little. Last two years - no rink but previously I tried to get a repeat to get better shots with new gear but no bites (so to speak). You can see in the shots how thrilled they were to have been in frigid water!;)

Great advice regarding Costa Rica!! Makes me think of being in Arizona in mid winter, nice and warm, and then travelling up to Flagstaff via Route 66. 4L jug of water froze over night and we had every possible cloth item over our sleeping bags and nearly froze.

Jack

Upvote 0