Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks all!
Alan, I'm coming from Bulgaria. I whent there in bad time: hot! Birds are hiding in deep shades, only feeding in open space early morning and late afternoon when the light is rather insufficient for APS-C sensor. Only in the high mountains (above 1800 up to 2500 meters) I met birds feeding at noon but I was there for just 4-5 hours.

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Being ISO 12800 , I'm not thrilled but it's another variety I just discovered in my shots that I didn't know I had - Bronze-tailed Plumeleteer Hummingbird.

I think there are 12 varieties represented in my captures from Costa Rica, which contrasted with Canada, is mind boggling.

In fact, in just over two weeks shooting in Costa Rica I have ID'd over 80 birds. And now with my new computer build I have half a chance of getting through them all.:)

The Quetzal is extracted from a high ISO video, so likewise disappointing but it brings back a great memory.

Jack

Bronze-tailed Plumeleteer_s_39624.JPG
Quetzal F_s_38230.JPG

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
Today I took ~3h walk to check my equipment (I'm honestly not satisfied from the photos taken in my vacation). My finding: you brake before the equipment! You need to know the behavior of your objects (to find a proper place to find them and to hide from them), you also need a time (and patience) to take the right shot (this is for really good shots, you shoot whenever you are not prepared and look at the results later, at least for the birds :cry:!). I think there is rather big difference when you know what exactly you are doing versus "just take that shot" - at least for me...
The bottom line: nice to shoot home (at least concerning the results)!!!
DSC_2384_DxO.jpg
DSC_2400_DxO.jpg
DSC_2406_DxO.jpg
DSC_2417_DxO.jpg
DSC_2426_DxO-1.jpg

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
Thanks Click but it was check of the equipment : I like all of them, they just show that the mistake was not in the equipment (because the results match the ones from similar conditions before). I was the mistake:mad:!

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
Great to see the thread heating up again with nice shots! Here are a couple of Toucans that kept me guessing, Jack, a Chestnut-mandibled and a Choco, plus an easy one, a Pale-mandibled Aracari.

3Q7A9172-DxO_chestnut_mandibled_toucan_small.jpg
3Q7A9308-DxO_choco_toucan_small.jpg
3Q7A9167-DxO_pale-mandibled_aracari_small.jpg

Nat_WA

EOS 7D mk.II
Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
Thanks all!
Alan, I'm coming from Bulgaria. I whent there in bad time: hot! Birds are hiding in deep shades, only feeding in open space early morning and late afternoon when the light is rather insufficient for APS-C sensor. Only in the high mountains (above 1800 up to 2500 meters) I met birds feeding at noon but I was there for just 4-5 hours.
Hi ISv,
with your comments on not getting the quality of shots you are used to - and the amount of great shots that you've shown here; did you only spend time chasing all native birds in the mountains of Bulgaria ;) or was some time spent visiting relatives as well ...
Anyhow - you managed to capture a load of birds in excellent quality! :cool:(y)
W.

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
Hi ISv,
with your comments on not getting the quality of shots you are used to - and the amount of great shots that you've shown here; did you only spend time chasing all native birds in the mountains of Bulgaria ;) or was some time spent visiting relatives as well ...
Anyhow - you managed to capture a load of birds in excellent quality! :cool:(y)
W.
Hi Nat_WA!
:) - first tanks for the kind words! And yes I spent time with relatives and old friends (more than expected). Also, all the time spent in the nature was together with my daughter who is avid hiker and used to create turbulence - like getting lost in the unknown for her trails:D! Most of the time I didn't have the opportunity to relax and concentrate on shooting. Off-course, I'm not sorry: two weeks are by far not enough for the all planed activities. Better planing next time!
Here are few more species, not included in the firs series.
DSC_1927_DxO.jpg
Song Thrush 1.jpg
Marsh Tit 1.jpg
Common Chaffinch 2.jpg
Phylloscopus sp 2.jpg