Show your Bird Portraits

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
An excellent shot, I hope this helps you feel happier about the function of your camera, it looks OK to me. Have you done some AFMA?

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
My friends are back . This young lady was the first. ISO 8000 though, 400 DO II X 2 III Please, some sunshine soon. :(

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks guys.

I did some AFMA in the most undesirable conditions but probably am close at -8, so that has helped. My observation is that front focus is more easily detected, at least in bird shots.

It's about 3/4 of the frame, but I boosted sharpness to 4 where I have always used 3 in the past.

It's only been recently that I've fully realized how good the IQ of the 6D has been and how much latitude it gives for exposure adjustment. I always cropped a lot, seldom filling the frame and thus never went higher than ISO 1250. It seems to me that most cameras give very good results if not cropping and now with the 1DX II I'll go higher but my hopes are pinned on 800mm reducing my need for cropping.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Jack Douglas said:
Took a small break in the late sun today to fool with the 1DX II.

Junco 1/1000 F9 ISO 1600 400 DO II X2 III Roughly 1/4 of the frame.

Jack

ISO 1600, 2xtc and quarter of the frame....? Jeez, Jack you don't believe in making it easy, do you?
I guess you are happy you got the 1Dx2, the ;D

Nice shot as well with the bird in just the right pose.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Jack Douglas said:
Took a small break in the late sun today to fool with the 1DX II.

Junco 1/1000 F9 ISO 1600 400 DO II X2 III Roughly 1/4 of the frame.

Jack

Jack
Congrats on your first shots "in anger"! How did you process the image? I am using RAW in DPP with generally fine picture settings for sharpening of 4,1,1 and for noise reduction 4,4. I'll go back to DxO probably when they upgrade it to take the 5DIV. I find DPP sharper but noisier. It doesn't look any noisier than your image though. How fast did the 800m focus when switching from close up to far distance?
Alan

ps, what's the noise like compared with your 6D?

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Alan and others that are interested, I'm playing around in DPP trying to see what gives the best results, so here is a shot from an hour ago with the details. It is almost uncropped with 1DX II 400 DO II X2 III. AF servo, spot focus (exposure linked) with 8 pt expansion was on his head, ISO 3200 F8 1/1000 Standard style, hand held

DPP - Exp + 1/3, pulled back 1/3, Lighting opt std., shadow +1, Unsharp mask str. 3, F 8, Thr 3 (lower and noise rises). No noise reduction, Lens optimizer - 65. That's about it.

I'm surprised at how good my 6D has been for IQ with 300 X2 and presently don't know if I'm at that level with 400 X2 but it's pretty close. AF is really fast and I love the illuminated focus points.

Jack

Attachments

• Pileated F_294.JPG
    Pileated F_294.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 77
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
lion rock said:
Jack,
Great photo!
I like.
-r

Riley, I was hoping by now you'd be posting some of these guys! Strangely, this summer they disappeared. The weather has warmed and once again the planter is interfering with my shooting. If it stays warm maybe this week I'll finish it. Then I plan to post a photo in landscapes. :D

Jack

Upvote 0