Show your Bird Portraits

Not a very good picture. I'm only posting it because this is a bird I last saw maybe 25-30 years ago. We're within the range of the Baltimore oriole and we have lots of foliage in our yard, but I just never encounter this fellow. He's obviously not terribly common where I live.

Attachments

• _36A7151_DxO-Edit.jpg
    _36A7151_DxO-Edit.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
dpc said:
Not a very good picture. I'm only posting it because this is a bird I last saw maybe 25-30 years ago. We're within the range of the Baltimore oriole and we have lots of foliage in our yard, but I just never encounter this fellow. He's obviously not terribly common where I live.

I used to see them but not anymore. A V beautiful bird. That is a nice picture - could you raise the shadows a bit?

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
clbayley said:
Ruddy Duck...it was cloudy and the image was very noisy. I liked the composition site I am trying to salvage it by giving it a dreamy look. Does it work?

Well kind of but somehow I can't quite fall in love with it. You may still be able to do more with it though and I can appreciate why you like it.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Anyone, does this look like a (Alberta) Song sparrow? Not the best as I was more than a stop overexposed.

The Pileated stopped at my pond for a drink and I only had the bare 400 so heavily cropped.

Blue-winged teals are very common here and this guy I shot with 400 X2.

Jack

Attachments

• Song sparrow_12062.JPG
    Song sparrow_12062.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 103
  • Pileated F drinking_12190.JPG
    Pileated F drinking_12190.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 108
  • Blue-winged teal F_12166.JPG
    Blue-winged teal F_12166.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 123
  • Blue-winged teal M_12168.JPG
    Blue-winged teal M_12168.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 122
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Jack Douglas said:
Anyone, does this look like a (Alberta) Song sparrow? Not the best as I was more than a stop overexposed.

The Pileated stopped at my pond for a drink and I only had the bare 400 so heavily cropped.

Blue-winged teals are very common here and this guy I shot with 400 X2.

Jack

Nice series, Jack. :)

The bird on the first picture looks like a Song sparrow.

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
clbayley said:
Ruddy Duck...it was cloudy and the image was very noisy. I liked the composition site I am trying to salvage it by giving it a dreamy look. Does it work?

Well kind of but somehow I can't quite fall in love with it. You may still be able to do more with it though and I can appreciate why you like it.

Jack

Thanks for the feedback...honestly I don't love it either. But I can't put my finger on what is wrong...is it the look? Or is it just poorly executed?

Maybe this is better?

Attachments

• Dreamy Ruddy 2.jpg
    Dreamy Ruddy 2.jpg
    872.4 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
clbayley said:
Jack Douglas said:
clbayley said:

Jack

Thanks for the feedback...honestly I don't love it either. But I can't put my finger on what is wrong...is it the look? Or is it just poorly executed?

Maybe this is better?

Better in the sense that it looks sharper and more defined but I'm willing to bet there is some treatment that is more abstract that might make it look more artistic. Unfortunately, I'm not artsy creative, just technically critical by nature so I'm no help. ;) Riley what do you/your wife, think?

Jack

Upvote 0