Show your Bird Portraits

where I live we have Carolina Wrens. Probably very similar. They nest on my back porch every year in cardboard boxes, on shelves and once in a flower watering can that was lying on it side. While the female is sitting on the eggs the male loves to go under my car which is parked close by to see if the coast is clear. When he sees me he starts scolding me. I oblige and step inside to allow him to bring food for his mate or babies. They have the loudest call I have ever heard.

BTW, lovely shot.

Brian

Upvote 0
Lots of great images folks!

This is from a visit to my good friends, the Woodpeckers. The kids are growing and are now fighting for the food in the opening to the nest. Mama and Papa must be exhausted by now. I expect them to leave the nest today or tomorrow. I will of course be on travel, so I will not be able to photograph them when it happens, this year as last year ...

Attachments

• _V4I2872.jpg
    _V4I2872.jpg
    779.7 KB · Views: 113
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
A few random favourites

mallard_1.jpg

Low (handheld) shutter speed for this Mallard, to get long rain streaks.

pheasant_6.jpg

Male Pheasant in full "check me out, girls..." mode

hooded_crow_mull_DPP_1a.jpg

I don't think this Hooded crow appreciated my attention.

arctic_tern_farnes_1.jpg

This Arctic tern didn't want me around, either.

lr_IMG_7253-3.jpg

Confiding Cormorant

C17__MG_7269a.jpg

Reed bunting in evening light.

Upvote 0
Mother Swan has been patiently protecting and warming her eggs. Between 2 and 6pm today, the first two eggs hatched. Still three to go, but she can finally start thinking about stretching her legs and wings and get some decent food :)
I am equally fascinated every year, to be part of these wonderful processes.

Attachments

• _V4I3029.jpg
    _V4I3029.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 103
Upvote 0
Eldar said:
Lots of great images folks!

This is from a visit to my good friends, the Woodpeckers. The kids are growing and are now fighting for the food in the opening to the nest. Mama and Papa must be exhausted by now. I expect them to leave the nest today or tomorrow. I will of course be on travel, so I will not be able to photograph them when it happens, this year as last year ...

Really cool! I missed two of the Western Bluebird nests when they fledged but hope to catch another tomorrow afternoon. Work really gets in the way of my fun sometimes :/ lol.

Upvote 0