Technique for making sure everyone’s looking at you when capturing a group photo

Looks like he learned his group posing setup at the police lineup school of photography.

I have used two useful techniques for groups. First is the simple close your eyes and countdown to zero. More complicated involves a balloon. The balloon trick I developed for public ("street") photography, but it works with a posed group.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
distant.star said:
Looks like he learned his group posing setup at the police lineup school of photography.

I have used two useful techniques for groups. First is the simple close your eyes and countdown to zero. More complicated involves a balloon. The balloon trick I developed for public ("street") photography, but it works with a posed group.

I do the closed eye and even then I shot six shots just I'm case someone is slow with opening their eyes.

I'm not concerned of everyone is looking at the camera... But that might just be me.

Upvote 0

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
mustafa said:
Can't remember if it was Patrick Lichfield or not, but someone used to blow a referee's whistle just before firing the shutter. You probably wouldn't get away with it too often with the same group.

Well, if you do that, you'll never have to widen the eyes in the pictures again, that's for sure! :D

BTW, am I the only one who watched the dancing photographer and half expected somebody to walk behind the group and steal their billfolds? I mean, it would be the perfect crime of opportunity. Everybody was just staring at that guy for half a minute.

Upvote 0

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
Steve Balcombe said:
Maui5150 said:
If you are a good looking female photographer, there is a good way to get all the guys (and a lot of the gals) attention that does not take too much effort (or imagination)

Yeah, but you won't get great eye contact if everyone is looking below the lens...

That's why you have a 4'6" tall second shooter.

Upvote 0
Steve Balcombe said:
Maui5150 said:
If you are a good looking female photographer, there is a good way to get all the guys (and a lot of the gals) attention that does not take too much effort (or imagination)

Yeah, but you won't get great eye contact if everyone is looking below the lens...

Waist Level Viewfinder. ;)

A constant stream of socially unacceptable photographic puns comes to mind. I am sure I am not the only one. ;D

Upvote 0