Two New Lenses Coming From Canon Next Week [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS 1D MK II
Jul 20, 2010
8,139
891
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We’re told that the date is finally upon us and we can confirm that Canon will announce two new lenses next week. At the time of writing this, I’m not sure if it’ll be Tuesday or Friday of next week, but we should know in the next 24 hours or so.</p>
<p>Pricing and availability is not yet know.</p>
<p><strong>Lenses being announced:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II</li>
<li>Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III (Though we’ve never seen this lens actually named in full for announcement, we’re running on assumptions, which can be dangerous.)</li>
</ul>
<p>The EF-M 32mm f/1.4 will be announced closer to Photokina, which happens in September.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
 

amorse

EOS 7D MK II
Jan 26, 2017
639
752
www.instagram.com
I'm looking forward to the f/4. I really want a lighter option than my 70-200 2.8 II for backcountry hiking. Here's hoping that this comes in as a lightweight, high resolution option!
 

Famateur

EOS 6D MK II
Oct 9, 2012
810
139
I really like my 70-200 F4 L. It'll be interesting to see what they have in mind to improve upon it with the Mark II. Quieter IS motor is about the only thing I can think of...

Can't wait to see some reviews!
 

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
8,529
1,416
Famateur said:
I really like my 70-200 F4 L. It'll be interesting to see what they have in mind to improve upon it with the Mark II. Quieter IS motor is about the only thing I can think of...

Can't wait to see some reviews!
For both, one might expect:

Lighter
Sharper
New CPL cutout in the hood
Slightly better IS
Maybe a new tripod ring design?

But as virtually everyone has said thus far: both of these lenses are still outstanding today. Canon will need to pull a rabbit out of the hat to get folks to upgrade.

- A
 

Famateur

EOS 6D MK II
Oct 9, 2012
810
139
ahsanford said:
Famateur said:
I really like my 70-200 F4 L. It'll be interesting to see what they have in mind to improve upon it with the Mark II. Quieter IS motor is about the only thing I can think of...

Can't wait to see some reviews!
For both, one might expect:

Lighter
Sharper
New CPL cutout in the hood
Slightly better IS
Maybe a new tripod ring design?

But as virtually everyone has said thus far: both of these lenses are still outstanding today. Canon will need to pull a rabbit out of the hat to get folks to upgrade.

- A
Yes, all good possibilities.

I guess what I mean to say is, there would need to be more than slight improvement in those areas for me to consider upgrading. That said, I recognize that new iterations are not always intended to be upgrades for current owners of the replaced version.

Agreed about the rabbit and hat! :p
 
Jul 12, 2013
259
107
ahsanford said:
Famateur said:
I really like my 70-200 F4 L. It'll be interesting to see what they have in mind to improve upon it with the Mark II. Quieter IS motor is about the only thing I can think of...

Can't wait to see some reviews!
For both, one might expect:

Lighter
Sharper
New CPL cutout in the hood
Slightly better IS
Maybe a new tripod ring design?

But as virtually everyone has said thus far: both of these lenses are still outstanding today. Canon will need to pull a rabbit out of the hat to get folks to upgrade.

- A
I posted this before: if the reviews indicate that the newest pair of 70-200 Canons are as superior to their predecessors as the 100-400 Canon II is to its I version...count me in.
 

cpreston

EOS 80D
Mar 22, 2014
117
54
I wonder if they will be porting over some of the refinements that are on the 70-200 CN-E t/4.4. That lens has a few different flavors of IS and is certainly sharp enough.
 

traveller

EOS 6D MK II
Jul 22, 2010
895
58
josephandrews222 said:
ahsanford said:
Famateur said:
I really like my 70-200 F4 L. It'll be interesting to see what they have in mind to improve upon it with the Mark II. Quieter IS motor is about the only thing I can think of...

Can't wait to see some reviews!
For both, one might expect:

Lighter
Sharper
New CPL cutout in the hood
Slightly better IS
Maybe a new tripod ring design?

But as virtually everyone has said thus far: both of these lenses are still outstanding today. Canon will need to pull a rabbit out of the hat to get folks to upgrade.

- A
I posted this before: if the reviews indicate that the newest pair of 70-200 Canons are as superior to their predecessors as the 100-400 Canon II is to its I version...count me in.
Let’s hope that’s the pattern it follows, rather than the 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM II...
 

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
8,265
1,923
Canada
The two big sellers for L glass are 24-70 (or 105) and 70-200..... it does not matter if not a single person upgrades from the previous version, these lenses sell a lot. It’s also a bragging rights lens, and to help draw people into the brand they need/want to be better than the competition.... they will be great lenses.

I am very curious to see how well they turn out, as this should be a very good indicator of what the state of the art is at Canon....
 
Sep 26, 2017
3
0
United States
justawriter said:
But I imagine that someone will complain that these lenses don't pop popcorn or come with a unicorn.

I initially read then end of your sentence as ”buttered unicorn”. Maybe it was the popcorn :)


Oh, and I agree with the sentiment. If you have a group of 4 photographers, there'll be 11 opinions on the same thing :)
 

unfocused

EOS 1D MK II
Jul 20, 2010
5,514
2,378
66
Springfield, IL
www.mgordoncommunications.com
josephandrews222 said:
I posted this before: if the reviews indicate that the newest pair of 70-200 Canons are as superior to their predecessors as the 100-400 Canon II is to its I version...count me in.
Unlikely to be the case. There just isn't as much room for improvement on the 70-200 II as there was on the 100-400 I. And, keep this in mind:

Don Haines said:
... it does not matter if not a single person upgrades from the previous version, these lenses sell a lot...
 

Talys

Canon 6DII
Feb 16, 2017
2,062
341
Vancouver, BC
Don Haines said:
The two big sellers for L glass are 24-70 (or 105) and 70-200..... it does not matter if not a single person upgrades from the previous version, these lenses sell a lot. It’s also a bragging rights lens, and to help draw people into the brand they need/want to be better than the competition.... they will be great lenses.

I am very curious to see how well they turn out, as this should be a very good indicator of what the state of the art is at Canon....
Exactly. For people who say that there isn't enough reason for them to upgrade, I would respond, "be happy that your decade-old design is still awesome!"

As long as it isn't worse, which is pretty hard to imagine, this pair of lenses will be great sellers for Canon. I'm sure that some of us will find an excuse to upgrade, even if the benefits are minor :) I absolutely love my II, and it's one of my most-used lenses, so I suppose eventually I'll probably upgrade it -- but keeping in mind that it's $2k+, that probably won't happen until there's a sale, at the earliest.

Unless there's some special voodoo magic that knocks 250g off the lens or shortens it by 4 inches :D
 

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
8,265
1,923
Canada
unfocused said:
josephandrews222 said:
I posted this before: if the reviews indicate that the newest pair of 70-200 Canons are as superior to their predecessors as the 100-400 Canon II is to its I version...count me in.
Unlikely to be the case. There just isn't as much room for improvement on the 70-200 II as there was on the 100-400 I. And, keep this in mind:

Don Haines said:
... it does not matter if not a single person upgrades from the previous version, these lenses sell a lot...
Yes..... at some point in the manufacturing cycle it starts to get hard to get parts and a "new" version has to come out. Sometimes the differences are invisible to us, such as when the internal electronics gets upgraded, or they use a different lens coating.... but at some time, you end up with a whole lot of pending changes, one of which is going to mean a noticeable change, and you roll everything through to the latest tech....


On this lens, you can expect that the machining will be to higher tolerances....that makes less copy variation and that simplifies manufacture, but does not have much impact on image quality for the average lens.

The coatings will be better..... there will be less flare, but none of us will be able to tell the difference.....

Florite glass is more common now.... there MIGHT be more florite elements, and that will reduce chromatic abberation by an amount too small for us to notice.....

The IS system will be better. It will be faster and it will be more accurate, and it will be quieter than the F4 IS is now.... We will be hard pressed to notice the difference....

The design software has improved and the polishing of elements will be to greater precision. This will give us a sharper lens, and if you look real hard, you wil notice the difference.

Overall, everything adds up, but the differences will be hard to tell by eye. The existing lenses are VERY! good and there is only so much space for improvement. The market for these new lenses will be new buyers.... sure, a few of us will upgrade, but the numbers will be so low that it is neglidgeable
 

Famateur

EOS 6D MK II
Oct 9, 2012
810
139
Talys said:
For people who say that there isn't enough reason for them to upgrade, I would respond, "be happy that your decade-old design is still awesome!"
Indeed!!!

Don Haines said:
Overall, everything adds up, but the differences will be hard to tell by eye. The existing lenses are VERY! good and there is only so much space for improvement. The market for these new lenses will be new buyers.... sure, a few of us will upgrade, but the numbers will be so low that it is negligible.
Yep -- that pretty much sums it up nicely.
 
Keeping an eye on this, as I have the old non-IS version of the 2.8. It is tack sharp and I love it, but there are times IS would be nice. Closer focus would come in handy at times also.

One of the things I am interested in is the tripod ring. Will be a removable foot like the 100-400ii? I really liked the (now long gone) design of the ring on the old black 80-200, two halves hinged together that could be removed without taking the lens off the body.