*UPDATE* Firmware 1.2.5 for EOS 7D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
Wahoowa said:
Most, if of all, people think that Canon pulled the firmware because there must be something wrong with it.

I too am not sure if there is something wrong with it. I already installed it before knowing it's pulled. I agree with some that they usually test the heck out of a firmware before releasing it. So, it's kinda odd that they would release it and then quickly pulled it. (I mean it'd be odd that they would test the firmware after releasing it.)

That said, would it be possible that there is something *good* in the firmware that Canon doesn't want to release? Some feature that the marketing department doesn't want it in there. If that's the case, like someone said, this firmware will be a collectible one. ;D

Canon likely received complaints from several who upgraded and had problems. If even 5% have problems, thats far too many. Usually they make a statement when they pull a firmware for problems, so that is puzzling.

The bad thing is that once a new version installed, you can not go back. if something stops working, you will have to wait for a fix.

Upvote 0
nitelife2 said:
What happened to V1.2.4? Does anyone know the changelog for it? The latest version I can find is V1.2.3.

1.2.4 appeared on a few cameras that got repaired at official shops. My 7D works "fine" (if you call still-no-audio-levels "fine") and I'm waiting for a MEANINGFUL firmware update, where they add in some of those features that everybody-freaking-else is allowed to have except for 7D users.

Upvote 0
L

LFG530

adamdoesmovies said:
nitelife2 said:
What happened to V1.2.4? Does anyone know the changelog for it? The latest version I can find is V1.2.3.

1.2.4 appeared on a few cameras that got repaired at official shops. My 7D works "fine" (if you call still-no-audio-levels "fine") and I'm waiting for a MEANINGFUL firmware update, where they add in some of those features that everybody-freaking-else is allowed to have except for 7D users.

I'm curious, what features do every body else has that I don't with my 7d?

Upvote 0
He is referring to audio gain control and disabling automatic gain. For video people it is an extremely annoying issue if you want you audio to be recorded with your video. The audio levels spike and drop all the time and it creates a lot of audio noise in the background.

The 5D2 is an older camera and they put the options on there, and the last few rebels and 60D have audio gain control, but not the more expensive 7D. The irksome thing is that it would not be difficult to have an option to disable automatic audio gain.

Upvote 0
Macadameane said:
He is referring to audio gain control and disabling automatic gain. For video people it is an extremely annoying issue if you want you audio to be recorded with your video. The audio levels spike and drop all the time and it creates a lot of audio noise in the background.

The 5D2 is an older camera and they put the options on there, and the last few rebels and 60D have audio gain control, but not the more expensive 7D. The irksome thing is that it would not be difficult to have an option to disable automatic audio gain.

Exactly! :D

Upvote 0
C

Chuckarama

nitelife2 said:
Often times developers work with odd and even numbering cycles. I don't know if Canon does, but I suspect they do. So after the official release of 1.2.3, (ending in odd) they begin developing on 1.2.4 (ending in even). When 1.2.4 becomes stable they release it as 1.2.5. That type of numbering scheme helps keep from releasing their development version accidentally, until it done, tested, and signed off on. All the developers recognize from the numbers that it is the Work In Progress firmware they are working on and until it gets that increment to a odd number, it's not ready for release.

Has anyone ever seen an even numbered release for the 7D? I can't remember myself.

Upvote 0

K3nt

"No good photo goes unnoticed!"
Feb 3, 2011
Finland
www.flickr.com
If we have any haxx0rs or people with ties to Canon here, it would be interesting to know whether the so called build number of this 1.2.5 load vs the previous one has changed.
I installed the 1.2.5 update the first time it was out, it did take care of the CF card Err issue I had occassionally been experiencing.
I'm happy with it as is, but would be educational... ;)

Upvote 0
P

Pasqual

Often times developers work with odd and even numbering cycles. I don't know if Canon does, but I suspect they do. So after the official release of 1.2.3, (ending in odd) they begin developing on 1.2.4 (ending in even). When 1.2.4 becomes stable they release it as 1.2.5. That type of numbering scheme helps keep from releasing their development version accidentally, until it done, tested, and signed off on. All the developers recognize from the numbers that it is the Work In Progress firmware they are working on and until it gets that increment to a odd number, it's not ready for release.

Has anyone ever seen an even numbered release for the 7D? I can't remember myself.

I think canon is not using this method. If you look here they use everything even and odd numbers. I think they just release a version test it if not good make a new version test it and when its good they release it to the public.

Upvote 0
A

autochrome

erwin said:
MyPhotographer said:
1.2.5 Seems to be back on the UK site...

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_7D.aspx?DLtcmuri=tcm:14-835658&page=1&type=download

Can anyone confirm that this is the same 1.2.5 as is posted and stored on canonrumors.com?

It's the same, the MD5 and SHA1 checksums match, the following are the (md5/sha1) checksums for the previous 1.2.5 FIR:

220889cfb5f60d4f038b4cb6ac6c5cf8 7D000125.FIR
9ea2c5641e397770bea91e5e602a664520051039 7D000125.FIR

the next are the (md5 and sha1 respectively) checksums for the "newly released" 1.2.5:

the checksums would differ if the file contents differed. If you have a *NIX machine around, OSX or Linux (or other *NIX flavour), you can compare, commands are md5sum <filename>, and sha1sum <filename>.

Upvote 0

K3nt

"No good photo goes unnoticed!"
Feb 3, 2011
Finland
www.flickr.com
autochrome said:
erwin said:
MyPhotographer said:
1.2.5 Seems to be back on the UK site...

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_7D.aspx?DLtcmuri=tcm:14-835658&page=1&type=download

Can anyone confirm that this is the same 1.2.5 as is posted and stored on canonrumors.com?

It's the same, the MD5 and SHA1 checksums match, the following are the (md5/sha1) checksums for the previous 1.2.5 FIR:

the next are the (md5 and sha1 respectively) checksums for the "newly released" 1.2.5:

the checksums would differ if the file contents differed. If you have a *NIX machine around, OSX or Linux (or other *NIX flavour), you can compare, commands are md5sum <filename>, and sha1sum <filename>.

Thanks to the person posting the hash info. This convinced me that there is no difference in the first "leaked" version vs the "official" one..

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.