We May Be Waiting a Little While Longer for a New 50mm Lens [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
This is bad news for a lot of folks, myself included. We’re told not to expect a new 50mm lens in the first half of 2018. Neither of the<a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/new-unreleased-canon-gear-has-appeared-for-certification/"> two lenses that appeared for certification</a> is a 50mm lens.</p>

<p>This doesn’t mean we won’t see a new 50mm in 2018,  it just won’t be for CP+ in February.</p>
<p>I can already hear the sadness from a few regulars on the CR forum.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
neuroanatomist said:
I already hear the keen cry of anguish from one CR member, in particular.

But...but...we are getting a new 50mm. The Canon TS-E 50mm f/2.8L Macro Tilt-Shift Lens. It's supposed to be available in early December. Just in time for Christmas. Of course I've seen no reviews of any of these new tilt-shift lenses from Canon. But at $2,199USD each (the 50mm, 90mm, and 135mm: are all priced the same at B&H) it has to be an awesome lens! Right?

::)

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Chaitanya said:
Surprised Canon hasn't released this lens yet considering it is one of the most awaited lens for most Canon users. Maybe now whenever the said 50mm IS/non-IS lens is released it will also make use of Nano-USM motor for "fast" AF.
Yeah...it is hard to tell.....will it be a high-end lens or just a modest update of one of the non-L lenses?
Based on the general market and the competition, I am betting on an L lens... as far as the IS goes...that is a tough one with recent offerings 16-35mm f/4L IS and the new 85mm f/1.4L IS....ya never know, I guess. They do keep a lid on it, though, don't they!

Upvote 0
Maybe the delay of lens releases is strategic.
Might be Canon will make a mirrorless camera with Eos-m mount and want to launch that together with a couple new lenses for eos m. Instead of designing new non L lenses for EF at this moment in time.

Just a 50mm F1.8, 35mm F2, 28mm F2.8, 24mm F2.8, 16-35mm F3.5-6.3 and 24-70mm F3.5-6.3 for eos-m Fullframe in one unleash. Then everyone can put their money where their mouth lies and buy a small FF mirrorless.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
I think they are working on a remake of the 50mm 1.0L (w/o IS). Who would be interested in that beast? And since it's closer in FL to the 35mm 1.4L II, maybe introduce some more of that "Blue-goo" goodness...

And introduce it at $1,999.99USD. Like that would ever happen - probably closer to $2,699USD if it was even a on the table...
:eek:

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
FramerMCB said:
I think they are working on a remake of the 50mm 1.0L (w/o IS). Who would be interested in that beast?

I think they aren't, because nobody wants it, for familiar reasons:

1. Back in the film days, cameras could AF @ EV 0 and ASA peaked at 3200. Nowadays cameras can AF @ EV -3 and ISO is in the 6 digits territory, so f/1.0 is far less useful than it used to be.

2. Apparently the 50mm f/1.0L was not a success story worth repeating.

3. The shallow depth of field, and specifically the delta gained over f/1.2, is hardly that useful.

4. A 50mm f/1.4 IS USM, with or without an L, would sell so much better than a 50mm f/1.0, it would be irrational to prioritize the later over the former.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
FramerMCB said:
neuroanatomist said:
I already hear the keen cry of anguish from one CR member, in particular.

But...but...we are getting a new 50mm. The Canon TS-E 50mm f/2.8L Macro Tilt-Shift Lens. It's supposed to be available in early December. Just in time for Christmas. Of course I've seen no reviews of any of these new tilt-shift lenses from Canon. But at $2,199USD each (the 50mm, 90mm, and 135mm: are all priced the same at B&H) it has to be an awesome lens! Right?

::)

Lie to me. Paint the letters 'USM' on that 50 T/S lens and you might get my money.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
My question is this: for all those of you that know what I'd ideally want -- a compact (and not necessarily face-meltingly sharp) 50 f/1.4 IS USM like the 35 f/2 IS -- what happens if the next new 50 is an L like the 85 f/1.4L IS?

Such a lens will likely be too big for me. I want a compact double gauss lens.

Seeing as it might be last new 50 we get for 5-10 years after that f/1.4L IS is announced, do I cave and get the f/1.2L because it's still relatively compact? Do I except all of it's flaws (finnicky AF, non-flat field, really a specialty tool for wide open shooting) or wait even longer for a non-L replacement?

- A

Upvote 0

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
@ ahsanford: I'm waiting for the same 50mm prime as for which you have valiantly lobbied, but if it is released in "pickle jar" L format, I would be sorely tempted to buy it. After all, I'm already accustomed to large, heavy glass (I have several L zooms), and I do like me some sharpness.

Besides, the best thing I could do to induce Canon to produce the lens we really want would be to buy its L predecessor first!

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
JonAustin said:
@ ahsanford: I'm waiting for the same 50mm prime as for which you have valiantly lobbied, but if it is released in "pickle jar" L format, I would be sorely tempted to buy it. After all, I'm already accustomed to large, heavy glass (I have several L zooms), and I do like me some sharpness.

Besides, the best thing I could do to induce Canon to produce the lens we really want would be to buy its L predecessor first!

Sure. Many folks would give their $1500 for the resolution of a Sigma 50 Art with the confidence/reliability/consistency of Canon AF. No explanation needed there.

- A

Upvote 0