A new Canon ILC appears for certification, but we already know what it is

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Any guesstimates as to price? Has to be closer to the R5 than to the 1DX if there is still a "R1DX" coming....
People have included their guesses for the R3 pricing in the thread below. It covers quite a big range...

Upvote 0

USMarineCorpsVet

Bird/Wildlife Photography
Jul 2, 2021
Yes, I think that I've seen enough details. Now I need to see how it performs. How well does it track? Does it keep up with the A1 in AF? How strong is the AA filter? How good is high-ISO/low-light performance?

Hopefully It will be officially announced and pre-release reviews get out in the wild.
It's not meant to be a competitor to the A1. If it outperforms the Sony flagship product and it's not even considered to be Canon's flagship model, then that says everything you need to know

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
People have included their guesses for the R3 pricing in the thread below. It covers quite a big range...
I love the people who are complaining about the price already before we know it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
It's not meant to be a competitor to the A1. If it outperforms the Sony flagship product and it's not even considered to be Canon's flagship model, then that says everything you need to know
How do you know what Canon intends for the R3? Rarely do companies specifically identify their competition. However, the evidence of competition is clear. The cameras absolutely are in the same class. Given the similar specs--sports/action cameras with stacked sensors, 30fps burst rates, and blazing fast AF tracking differing significantly only in body style and resolution--the cameras are undoubtedly competitors. Moreover, until Canon releases a model superior to the R3--my money is on late 2022 at the earliest and more likely late 2023 or 2024--the R3 will be Canon's flagship.

And I have no idea how well it measures up to the Sony A1 (and neither do you unless you have early access; in which case, lucky you!). Thus, as stated, there is much I want to know about how well the R3 stacks up to competitors Sony A1 and Nikon Z9.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
The video is just a summary of the known specs and commentary on what McKinnon thinks about them. No new information, he doesn't even have the camera, so 'interesting' only if you care about McKinnon.
Iris scanning for eye control is the interesting part, didnt know about that. If Canon really is going to deploy Iris scanning for Eye tracking then it might really be more accurate.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
You have just described most of his videos.
To be fair, a lot of people do seem to care about him.
I didn't mean it in any critical way, I just dislike it when people post a video without going into detail on why it is or isn't a waste of time to watch it. So having watched it myself, I just wanted to save those not interested in McKinnon the time.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Iris scanning for eye control is the interesting part, didnt know about that. If Canon really is going to deploy Iris scanning for Eye tracking then it might really be more accurate.
That how it has been described in the patents on the technology at least. According to the patents, Canon actually keeps a record of the different users of a camera and saves their settings and tracking preferences on a per person basis. Using the iris scan to identify who uses the camera. But if that is just patent talk or actually implemented in the R3 is unknown as far as I'm aware.

The other interesting thing from those patents is that by detecting where the user is looking in a scene, a camera could learn their preferences. In a macro scene with a bug on a flower for example, both could be subjects to focus in but the users eye would allow the camera to detect their preferred subject.

What I personally spaculated on in the thread about the tech was that they could also use the iris scan as a security feature, similar to fingerprint sensors in phones. That was not in any way part of the patents though, so although interesting, that's probably not coming in the R3.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
They kind of have to do what is in their patent or someone else could patent what they are actually doing.
Not necessarily. They could have filed a subsequent patent application on it that hasn't published yet (so we don't yet know about it), but gives them a priority date to protect their IP.

Upvote 0
I’m gonna buy one either way, but I think if I had my preference it would be the 30 megapixel over 45. I have an hour five for the 45 megapixel stuff, and once you get too far over 30 we have to start increasing shutter speeds more than usual For the higher resolution. It’s kind of a pain. I’d rather have 30 for action and 45 for static.

Upvote 0

USMarineCorpsVet

Bird/Wildlife Photography
Jul 2, 2021
Rhey
How do you know what Canon intends for the R3? Rarely do companies specifically identify their competition. However, the evidence of competition is clear. The cameras absolutely are in the same class. Given the similar specs--sports/action cameras with stacked sensors, 30fps burst rates, and blazing fast AF tracking differing significantly only in body style and resolution--the cameras are undoubtedly competitors. Moreover, until Canon releases a model superior to the R3--my money is on late 2022 at the earliest and more likely late 2023 or 2024--the R3 will be Canon's flagship.

And I have no idea how well it measures up to the Sony A1 (and neither do you unless you have early access; in which case, lucky you!). Thus, as stated, there is much I want to know about how well the R3 stacks up to competitors Sony A1 and Nikon Z9.
Well they have stated already that the R3 holds a place between the R5 and 1DX3. So that's how Canon sees it and I have no reason to doubt their vision. At 24mpx, it's not even close to being on par with the A1..

Upvote 0