“Pro” EOS R camera coming in March 2020? [CR0]

Yes, but the point was to discuss the terminology in this rumour, not the skills of photographers.
But that's my point. Debating over whether a 5DIV is a Professional or Enthusiast camera doesn't make much sense. It's not the camera that's professional.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Correct. Only for US markets though. That is how Canon US decided to position the 5D series locally They changed the tune in about a year with intent to capture more of the market with the same product and to justify a premium product pricing model.
I don’t know about the premium pricing model, but pros always use lower models as backup. If they really like the camera, they may use it more often. Pros who either can’t afford the top model, or don’t need some of the features, but prefer others, may use the lower model instead.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Yeah... it is actually more about a product being suitable for being used in a commercial environment: frequent use and abuse.
As you are aware, products being used commercially are exempt form the standard 12 month manufacturers warranty. e.g. white goods used in a commercial environment, large screen TVs used in pubs and for shop demos, any other goods designed for a domestic, occasional use rather than a challenging commercial environment. I hope it makes sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But that's my point. Debating over whether a 5DIV is a Professional or Enthusiast camera doesn't make much sense. It's not the camera that's professional.

It does make sense in the context of this thread as the initial post discusses pro vs non-pro cameras.

Upvote 0
It does make sense in the context of this thread as the initial post discusses pro vs non-pro cameras.
Uh, sure. I guess if you want to have that debate, go ahead. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, but maybe I just don’t get it.

On an unrelated note, beautiful shots on your web page. Some really stunning work. Also makes me want to explore your country.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi melgross.
Why would anyone care where Apple considered a Canon product had been targeted?

Cheers, Graham.

I seem to remember that when the 5D first came out, which is when I first bought it, Apple considered it to be an advanced amateur camera, not a Pro model. I suppose that evolved over the years.

Upvote 0