1D X Troubles (not funny)

Valvebounce

Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Ok how many of you besides mackguyver had the same reaction I did? I will have to try that! ;D

Thanks for the idea Neuro.

Cheers Graham.

neuroanatomist said:
mackguyver said:
Maybe I can just tape a magnifying glass to the front or something?

Your 1D X came with a body cap. Take it off, drill a small hole (slightly less than 1mm in diameter, a 1/32" drill bit would work) right through the first n in Canon, then put it back on. You'll be good to go.

Of course, you won't be the first to do that with a 1-series body. ;)

Upvote 0
Menace said:
mackguyver said:
10. I flipped some lever or something and now my viewfinder is blacked out???

Mine did the same so I drilled a hole in the viewfinder and now I can see again what I'm shooting.

I usually just look OVER the viewfinder. Much easier, and works even when the lens cap is on (although then I can see what I'm NOT shooting). Whatever.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

neuroanatomist said:
mackguyver said:

Your 1D X came with a body cap. Take it off, drill a small hole (slightly less than 1mm in diameter, a 1/32" drill bit would work) right through the first n in Canon, then put it back on. You'll be good to go.

Doh! I was going to suggest that!
If you can find a REALLY fine drill it works well.

Upvote 0

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
tolusina said:
Menace said:
mackguyver said:
Dylan777 said:
neuroanatomist said:
mackguyver said:

@ Neuro. You need to be very careful when you do this, otherwise, you might create "light leak" ;D
Yep, and I must have missed the "take it off" part because now I have a big hole in my mirror as well. Talk about a light leak :'(

The extra hole will allow for some truly amazing and creative 'artistic' effects !
Naw, a hole in the mirror won't show in photos.
It might whistle when the mirror flips up, that'd be different.

Now the hole in the sensor, on the other hand....

Upvote 0

Menace

New Zealand
Apr 5, 2012
New Zealand
dgatwood said:
tolusina said:
Menace said:
mackguyver said:
Dylan777 said:
neuroanatomist said:
mackguyver said:

@ Neuro. You need to be very careful when you do this, otherwise, you might create "light leak" ;D
Yep, and I must have missed the "take it off" part because now I have a big hole in my mirror as well. Talk about a light leak :'(

The extra hole will allow for some truly amazing and creative 'artistic' effects !
Naw, a hole in the mirror won't show in photos.
It might whistle when the mirror flips up, that'd be different.

Now the hole in the sensor, on the other hand....

Now that can be a problem especially as there are only 18mp to start off with! If on the other hand, it had 36mp surely the neighboring pixels will compensate for the pixels in the hole.

Upvote 0
I thought I had finally sorted out all of my issues on Saturday during a Kentucky Derby party. The camera felt light, familiar, and everything seemed to work. Then my wife asked why I wasn't using my "new camera" and I realized that I was holding my 5DIII, which explained my lapse in judgement. The next morning, I didn't find any photos on my 5DIII or 1D X, however, and it was then that I realized that several mint juleps + the EOS M = the greatest camera in the world.

Upvote 0
DominoDude said:
This thread is the best read! But somehow I find that I have to clean my monitor afterwards - one shouldn't laugh violently down into a hot cup of coffee just when sitting down in front of the screen. *waves fist and clears screen all at the same time*
Thanks! We try to be funny around here sometimes, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Sorry to hear about your monitor, though ;)

Upvote 0

Menace

New Zealand
Apr 5, 2012
New Zealand
mackguyver said:
DominoDude said:
This thread is the best read! But somehow I find that I have to clean my monitor afterwards - one shouldn't laugh violently down into a hot cup of coffee just when sitting down in front of the screen. *waves fist and clears screen all at the same time*
Thanks! We try to be funny around here sometimes, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Sorry to hear about your monitor, though ;)

Make sure to re calibrate your monitor after your accident.

Upvote 0

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
Menace said:
mackguyver said:
DominoDude said:

See, now, if you'd just spent the extra $2,000 for an L-quality, weather-sealed monitor....

Upvote 0

privatebydesign

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 29, 2011
dgatwood said:
Menace said:
mackguyver said:
DominoDude said:

See, now, if you'd just spent the extra $2,000 for an L-quality, weather-sealed monitor....

You are way off, way way off, try $40,000.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e02480a6996f

Upvote 0

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
privatebydesign said:
dgatwood said:
Menace said:
mackguyver said:
DominoDude said:

You are way off, way way off, try $40,000.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e02480a6996f

Still not weather-sealed, I don't think, but these are. Still, I'm low by a few hundred bucks.

That said, there's some disagreement about whether they are L-quality. :D

Upvote 0
More true than you think.......
Yesterday I got my new 1Dx (also have a 5D3), went out for the ultimate test. Fired away, looked great on the LCD...
Came home, got them into Lightroom, hm.... this is not good at all - these 4MB loss in pixels - do they really give such shitty pictures....
Bad DR, detail ..... wtf ..... big waste of money......

Then I saw the camera was on Jpeg ..........

Today the sun shines again .....

Upvote 0