1D X Troubles (not funny)

Coming from a 5DIII, I'm having some issues with my 1D X. Some of them might just be my ignorance, but others are just frustrating me. And a few just seem impossible to solve.

First of all, it took me 3 or 4 days to figure out that the rubber plug was not the battery. After removing that, I was able to get the battery into the camera. After another week of experimenting, I realized that Canon has moved the power switch back to where it was on my 5DII. That seems so backwards from a supposedly innovative company. After that, I ran into the following:

1. My camera is missing the mode dial
2. I'm scaring people and filling up my memory card because each time I push the shutter it goes really fast
3. Related to #2, my flash tried to keep up but ended up burning out
4. It's missing the pop-up flash, just like my 5DII and 5DIII. What's happened to Canon's quality control?
5. No matter how hard I try, I can't get the battery grip off
6. The memory card door is on the back and won't slide open
7. It came with a double battery charger, but only one battery, I must have gotten ripped off - damn white box sellers!
8. My charger came with a cord instead of a flip out outlet - must be a foreign model?
9. My camera has 3 extra DOF preview buttons - they must have had a lot of spares?
10. I flipped some lever or something and now my viewfinder is blacked out???

Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You missed the biggest problem - the camera didn't come with a lens.

Get one of these:

PowerShot-A1400_Default_tcm13-1001565.jpg

It's got 16 MP, so it's really almost as good as the 1D X, but much simpler to operate. Good luck!

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
You missed the biggest problem - the camera didn't come with a lens.

Get one of these:

PowerShot-A1400_Default_tcm13-1001565.jpg

It's got 16 MP, so it's really almost as good as the 1D X, but much simpler to operate. Good luck!

My lip is bleeding from biting it so hard. I'm trying to read this with all sincerity and am not having much luck.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
Coming from a 5DIII, I'm having some issues with my 1D X. Some of them might just be my ignorance, but others are just frustrating me. And a few just seem impossible to solve.

First of all, it took me 3 or 4 days to figure out that the rubber plug was not the battery. After removing that, I was able to get the battery into the camera. After another week of experimenting, I realized that Canon has moved the power switch back to where it was on my 5DII. That seems so backwards from a supposedly innovative company. After that, I ran into the following:

1. My camera is missing the mode dial
2. I'm scaring people and filling up my memory card because each time I push the shutter it goes really fast3. Related to #2, my flash tried to keep up but ended up burning out
4. It's missing the pop-up flash, just like my 5DII and 5DIII. What's happened to Canon's quality control?
6. The memory card door is on the back and won't slide open
7. It came with a double battery charger, but only one battery, I must have gotten ripped off - damn white box sellers!
8. My charger came with a cord instead of a flip out outlet - must be a foreign model?
9. My camera has 3 extra DOF preview buttons - they must have had a lot of spares?
10. I flipped some lever or something and now my viewfinder is blacked out???

Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

LOL... ;D

Attachments

• delete.png
    delete.png
    62.5 KB · Views: 3,576
Upvote 0
Dave_NYC said:
mackguyver said:

Have you tried using a crowbar?

It's probably best that you go back to your 5DIII and let me take the 1DX off your hands. It sounds like a total headache, but I like challenges and would even pay you for it. How 'bout $1K? Or we can trade straight across for my 70D?

It was worth a try, wasn't it? :p

Upvote 0
Dear mackguyer

I think I understand your problems. You purchased a 1 X model..
We all understand that X is a common abbreviation for experimental, I think some of your issues are because of this. You also got version 1 of the dslr.

I would be happy to swap your version 1, for a version 60. It is a much more advanced DSLR ( 60 is newer than 1h , and will not have many if the issues you have found, like the lack of popup flash, the memory card filling up so quickly and the lack of a mode button.

Please feel free to contact me vi IM.

Thanks
A Camera Collector

:)

Upvote 0
I find number 10 funny since it happened to me and the first time I accidentally moved that button, I could not figure out how to undo it. I'd been using a T2i for many months, so when I got the 5D3, I was able to immediately use it due to familiarity with the Canon control layout. The T2i video stuff is different, though, and that level or button I accidentally moved wasn't on the T2i, and I hadn't yet learned all the differences in the cameras. I did it about an hour before I was going to be shooting and had to scramble to learn what the heck I'd done and it took me a bit even after reading since I didn't know that button moved that way. :)

Upvote 0
chris_w_digits said:
I find number 10 funny since it happened to me and the first time I accidentally moved that button, I could not figure out how to undo it. I'd been using a T2i for many months, so when I got the 5D3, I was able to immediately use it due to familiarity with the Canon control layout. The T2i video stuff is different, though, and that level or button I accidentally moved wasn't on the T2i, and I hadn't yet learned all the differences in the cameras. I did it about an hour before I was going to be shooting and had to scramble to learn what the heck I'd done and it took me a bit even after reading since I didn't know that button moved that way. :)

I think Mackguyver was talking about the lever to block off the viewfinder- which is exclusive to 1-series bodies.

OTOH, you are probably talking about the still/video toggle. I have had a bit of an issue with the Liveview/video button myself because occasionally I'd press on that instead of AF-on (for BBF)- and bam!- there'd be darkness!

Upvote 0