1DX Mark II - User Manual available for download

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Jack Douglas said:
More seriously, I wonder why they wouldn't be able to at least give a very quiet single shot given the need. I presume it relates to the basic structure being configured for extreme speed.

Jack
Have you tried the mode 2 on the live view mode? It is quieter than the 5D MK III (at least with current 1DX). It is just literally one shot though. Currently, I use it with manual focus.
With DPAF you should be OK on the mark II.

Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2013
arthurbikemad said:
Not sure what to say about the shutter noise, I do use my 5D3 on silent shutter fairly often, it's the only thing making me think "do I or don't I" want it... problem is that shutter could scare off half of what I like to photograph!

Oh well, not an upgrade for skittish wildlife photos. If it only had a quiet shutter like to 5DMKIII, it could replace that body due to the other features.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
IgotGASbadDude said:
Am I the only one who is baffled by the fact that lower end cameras (1300D) come with wi-fi and we're forced to not only use an add on, we have to pay, what like $500 for it.

:mad:

When one buys an S Class Mercedes the gas price doesn't matter.

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
IgotGASbadDude said:
Am I the only one who is baffled by the fact that lower end cameras (1300D) come with wi-fi and we're forced to not only use an add on, we have to pay, what like $500 for it.

So what you're saying is when someone buys an expensive car (because they can afford to) they should have to purchase an add-on to use what comes stock on a POS car? Great logic.

"Hey, this car has a stereo but you have to purchase this adapter. It's only $500 extra, and oh BTW it has to be plugged in and will protrude from the dashboard. Then and only then will you be able to hear music."

Dumb logic. Next . . .

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
IgotGASbadDude said:
CanonFanBoy said:
IgotGASbadDude said:

So what you're saying is when someone buys an expensive car (because they can afford to) they should have to purchase an add-on to use what comes stock on a POS car? Great logic.

"Hey, this car has a stereo but you have to purchase this adapter. It's only $500 extra, and oh BTW it has to be plugged in and will protrude from the dashboard. Then and only then will you be able to hear music."

Dumb logic. Next . . .

"Are you saying..." Just sounds better rather than making it sound as though you correctly understand what I said when you don't.

My analogy would be more akin to equating gasoline or diesel fuel with batteries. I said nothing close to what you suggest.

"But batteries come with the car." Yup, but you paid for it too. When it goes bad in either you'll buy another.

Extras are called "options". Automobile manufacturers almost always have optional upgrades for stereos and etc. You just have to pay more for them.

We may not like how Canon does it, but there might be other options out there.

Is there a Nikon that has wifi at the top end? I honestly don't know. I read all the time on this site how good the lens resale value is.

I hope you find what you want.

I don't think my logic is dumb, but that is just a matter of opinion. I know I'm not and I know you did not suggest that I am. Just the logic I used. That's fair and okay with me. :)

I am interested, though, about what you think about an articulated touch screen on a 1DX Mark III? Some of us were hoping for that this time. It might not be your cup of tea. I have no idea.

There are also lots of us out here that couldn't care less about wifi.

Maybe Canon could put wifi in cameras just like car manufacturers do with alarms. Then we have the option to have it activated after we pay for it if we want it or don't pay if we don't want it. Pay the price, hook the camera to the internet through your computer, and a signal is sent from the manufacturer to activate the wifi. Same for folks who don't want touch screens or automatic food modes.

At any rate I hope you have a nice day. May your donuts be warm from the oven and the coffee hot. :)

next.

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
IgotGASbadDude said:

It would matter if they were giving the gas for free with a Volkswagen Golf but not with you S Class

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
IgotGASbadDude said:
CanonFanBoy said:
IgotGASbadDude said:

Dumb logic. Next . . .

Extras are called "options". Next!

Then how come it is not an extra for a 1300D? Next!

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Palm 1980.
I think the answer to this is that a full magnesium alloy body could also be called a faraday cage, a full plastic body could not.
It would require a drop in armour protection to add wifi which I guess Canon don't mind with lesser bodies, 7D etc but a 1D series body! Not happening?

Cheers, Graham.

plam_1980 said:
IgotGASbadDude said:

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
CanonFanBoy said:
IgotGASbadDude said:
CanonFanBoy said:
IgotGASbadDude said:

Dumb logic. Next . . .

"Are you saying..." Just sounds better rather than making it sound as though you correctly understand what I said when you don't.

My analogy would be more akin to equating gasoline or diesel fuel with batteries. I know you specifically were talking about wifi. I was just making a lighthearted joke. I used to hear people say, "Wow that's a nice car." Then they would wonder how much gas the V-8 consumed. The reply was always, "If you can afford that car the price of gas doesn't matter." So please, don't take my remark too seriously. I certainly didn't. :)

Extras are called "options". Automobile manufacturers almost always have optional upgrades for stereos and etc. You just have to pay more for them.

We may not like how Canon does it, but there might be other options out there.

Is there a Nikon that has wifi at the top end? I honestly don't know. I read all the time on this site how good the lens resale value is.

I hope you find what you want.

I don't think my logic is dumb, but that is just a matter of opinion. I know I'm not and I know you did not suggest that I am. Just the logic I used. That's fair and okay with me. I don't agree with what you said about my logic, but I wouldn't say your logic is dumb.:)

I am interested, though, about what you think about an articulated touch screen on a 1DX Mark III? Some of us were hoping for that this time. It might not be your cup of tea. I have no idea.

There are also lots of us out here that couldn't care less about wifi.

Maybe Canon could put wifi in cameras just like car manufacturers do with alarms. Then we have the option to have it activated after we pay for it if we want it or don't pay if we don't want it. Pay the price, hook the camera to the internet through your computer, and a signal is sent from the manufacturer to activate the wifi. Same for folks who don't want touch screens or automatic food modes.

At any rate I hope you have a nice day. May your donuts be warm from the oven and the coffee hot. :)

next.

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Palm 1980.
I think the answer to this is that a full magnesium alloy body could also be called a faraday cage, a full plastic body could not.
It would require a drop in armour protection to add wifi which I guess Canon don't mind with lesser bodies, 7D etc but a 1D series body! Not happening?

Cheers, Graham.

plam_1980 said:
IgotGASbadDude said:

I know this and it is true, only his comparison with the Mercedes was not appropriate. But thanks

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Palm 1980.
Sorry, I thought you were the originator of the query about it not being included, re the car analogies, quite a lot of us go there, and more often than not there is no direct comparison with cars and what we end up with is a stretch of the imagination at best. I'm Guilty as charged too.

Cheers, Graham

plam_1980 said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Palm 1980.

Cheers, Graham.

plam_1980 said:
IgotGASbadDude said:

I know this and it is true, only his comparison with the Mercedes was not appropriate. But thanks

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
plam_1980 said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Palm 1980.

Cheers, Graham.

plam_1980 said:
IgotGASbadDude said:

Oh well. Like I said... it was a lighthearted joke from a bygone era. You took it literally and ran with it. The joke can be applied to anything expensive when people who don't own or can't own ruminate over an extra they will never have to worry about. That's me.

I will never be able to afford one of those cameras. I have been out of work for over a year due to health concerns. The analogy is appropriate for my situation. Completely.

The upside is that I can be happy for those who can and do get to own such a technological wonder.

If I could own one I certainly wouldn't let the lack of a feature keep me from being happy about having the wear with all to do so. Especially if the feature is not there due to the materials the body is constructed of.

My 70D is made of plastic. It has the wifi feature, but I have not used. I can't think of a situation where I, personally, would ever use it. I paid for something I didn't want and will never use. Ever. I understand this is the sacrifice I made to have the swivel touch screen I did want. I absolutely love that feature.

If I could have 14 frames a second in an awesome machine like the Canon 1DX with it's tough body and robustness, I'd be on cloud nine.

I hope you get your camera soon. I hope you get to fully enjoy it. I hope the add-on wifi is not too inconvenient.

Have a nice day and a fabulous lunch. I hope my explanation of why I think the analogy is appropriate for my situation has not insulted you in any way. Take care and be safe. :D

Upvote 0

privatebydesign

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 29, 2011
CanonFanBoy said:
I will never be able to afford one of those cameras.

Never say never.

I sold my 1D for $250 (and that was a good price for it), it cost me close to $4,000, my 1DS MkIII's cost well over $4,000 and I would be lucky to get $1,000 for them. There will come a time when the 1DX MkII has as little perceived value.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
privatebydesign said:
CanonFanBoy said:
I will never be able to afford one of those cameras.

Never say never.

I sold my 1D for $250 (and that was a good price for it), it cost me close to $4,000, my 1DS MkIII's cost well over $4,000 and I would be lucky to get $1,000 for them. There will come a time when the 1DX MkII has as little perceived value.

Very true. But with the current 1DX II price for new... never is a very safe bet for me unless I win the lottery. :)

Maybe I'll be able to buy the 1DX Mark III when it comes.

Right now the 5D mark III is plenty good for me and I am far from mastering it. I was very fortunate to have got it this past fall. I'm extremely happy with it. It is an awesome machine.

Since I am just an enthusiast I need to take it all into perspective. Sometimes GAS isn't so wise and one must take his head from beneath the bed linens.

Take care PBD. :)

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
I will never be able to afford one of those cameras. I have been out of work for over a year due to health concerns. The analogy is appropriate for my situation. Completely. The upside is that I can be happy for those who can and do get to own such a technological wonder.

I truly apologize CFB. I feel horrible that I was so blunt. I'm a bit passionate about the subject.

My comment comes from my disdain for the mentality that because I buy the camera I can afford the extras. I scraped together every extra penny of cash to get the 1DX, and even had to trade my favorite lens and flash to complete the deal.

I'm having to do the same thing again to get this new camera--after selling some things and saving I'll barely make the camera body. If they didn't include the cFast card I'd be using only my current Compactflash cards.

I shoot concerts for fun so being able to get the photos quickly to social media would be amazing--but I guess I'll just consider myself fortunate enough to be in a position to get it.

Again, my apologies. I can only hope your situation improves!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
IgotGASbadDude said:
CanonFanBoy said:
I will never be able to afford one of those cameras. I have been out of work for over a year due to health concerns. The analogy is appropriate for my situation. Completely. The upside is that I can be happy for those who can and do get to own such a technological wonder.

I truly apologize CFB. I feel horrible that I was so blunt. I'm a bit passionate about the subject.

My comment comes from my disdain for the mentality that because I buy the camera I can afford the extras. I scraped together every extra penny of cash to get the 1DX, and even had to trade my favorite lens and flash to complete the deal.

I'm having to do the same thing again to get this new camera--after selling some things and saving I'll barely make the camera body. If they didn't include the cFast card I'd be using only my current Compactflash cards.

I shoot concerts for fun so being able to get the photos quickly to social media would be amazing--but I guess I'll just consider myself fortunate enough to be in a position to get it.

Again, my apologies. I can only hope your situation improves!

No problem my friend. :) I did not mean to imply it to you at all and I hope I've explained my intent well enough. Just the perspective of someone on the outside looking in.

Everything in my signature took about 4 years to get. I got a huge amout of it in the last two years. I scraped and scraped to do it. It was tough. Now it is time to start enjoying it.

Take care! :D

Upvote 0