1dx plus 85 1.2 is great for night street photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
neuroanatomist said:
I can take good pics of small birds with >$20,000 worth of gear. :p
Good one! ... I guess some don't understand that there are people who can pay top dollar for the gear they want and/or need. Maybe its a case of "Sour Grapes" or "Frog in the Well" mentality.

Upvote 0
Hobby Shooter said:
eml58 said:
Okay, I know, it's not Street Photography, it's also not Nana at night (last time I was there was 1969 when I was in the Army, hasn't changed much either from what I see of Sanj's shots).

But it is the 1Dx and it is the 85f/1.2 L II, shot at f/5.6 & 1/125th ISO800.

The subject though is male, a real one, albeit Simian, to my eye a better looking subject than Sanj's earlier post with the He/She & the fag in the mouth, but I like Sanj's use of the Combo, great stuff.

Japan's "Street", sorry Snow Monkeys Nagano.
Love the shot, but the poor monkey looks a bit cold.

I am sure you have a lot of stories from those days.
Thanks Hobby Shooter, yea, but the only people that want to listen to old guys telling war stories, are other Old guys that tell war stories.

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
neuroanatomist said:
Good one! ... I guess some don't understand that there are people who can pay top dollar for the gear they want and/or need. Maybe its a case of "Sour Grapes" or "Frog in the Well" mentality.

"Sour Grapes" I've heard, seen, felt, but "Frog in the well" ??? New one for me & I've been around longer than I care to think about, but agree your & Neuro's sentiment, we all have one thing in common, we love Photography, some people just loose sight of what's really important from time to time, and that's not what others have, it's the Photography.

Upvote 0
eml58 said:
Hobby Shooter said:
eml58 said:
Okay, I know, it's not Street Photography, it's also not Nana at night (last time I was there was 1969 when I was in the Army, hasn't changed much either from what I see of Sanj's shots).

But it is the 1Dx and it is the 85f/1.2 L II, shot at f/5.6 & 1/125th ISO800.

The subject though is male, a real one, albeit Simian, to my eye a better looking subject than Sanj's earlier post with the He/She & the fag in the mouth, but I like Sanj's use of the Combo, great stuff.

Japan's "Street", sorry Snow Monkeys Nagano.
Love the shot, but the poor monkey looks a bit cold.

I am sure you have a lot of stories from those days.
Thanks Hobby Shooter, yea, but the only people that want to listen to old guys telling war stories, are other Old guys that tell war stories.
Hey, don't be so sure about that :D

Having spent a good part of the last ten years here in SEA I've taken interest in the complexity of the history the last hundred years, especially in the Indochina region. I especially enjoy meeting people who played a part in it.

Upvote 0
And yes, the tile floors and stool seats are a dead giveaway that this is not an exterior location, so good luck arguing with me.

No one cares that the best low-light performance camera along with the best low-light performance lens can take good shots in low-light conditions. Tell us something we don't know, please.

Upvote 0
Jesse said:
And yes, the tile floors and stool seats are a dead giveaway that this is not an exterior location, so good luck arguing with me.

No one cares that the best low-light performance camera along with the best low-light performance lens can take good shots in low-light conditions. Tell us something we don't know, please.
Why so belligerent? If Sanj says it's outside, then we can safely trust him.

Upvote 0
eml58 said:

First, at 60 you're not that old, and secondly, I have enjoyed some great times and stories with guys that were in this part of the world around that time. Some of the stories are fascinating.

On the other hand there have been a few moments in Manila, down Bugos street, where supposed ex-Special Ops/Pick Your Agency (as long as it is American, has three letters and starts with a C) have raised a few hairs. In fact one guy down there is quite well known for being a little unstable, something you are quite obviously not.

Jesse said:

I do not know why I am replying to this, as I do not see the point of your post. But to give you an idea of the location of the shot. It is outside in that there are three floors, all the thoroughfare looks down into the courtyard area and is all public, so you can wander around and never buy a beer anywhere if you do not want. The bars all run round the outside of the thoroughfare. If it rains you get wet, and those stools normally get put inside the bar when it closes.

Oh, and there is not a single girl in that first shot (except for possibly the one in the red dress with her back to the camera). Just so you know.... :)

Upvote 0
Jesse said:
Um, the first photo you posted is of 6 girls in their panties in a place called "Temptations Ladyboy Bar". And believe me, I'm 23 and the last thing I am is offended by this, but please don't call it "street photography.

Why on earth not?!!! On the contrary, I think the first shot captures the essence of street photography, whether it is actually outside or not. That picture will withstand time and could be a semiotic symbol representing a particular part of some culture in a particular point in time/history.

Sanj, I again applaud you for a great picture which actually tells a story, and please do not pay heed to sour nay-sayers.

G.

Upvote 0
Jesse said:

How very sad!

The OP presents the only thing that actually matters in photography, - photos. Does it matter if the capture could have been gotten with other gear? He has found a combo that works great for him, and conveys it in an entusiastic manner. God forbid that people are actually thrilled about something....

Is it me, or have the discussions on the latest threads taken a sour/foul turn? I find more and more that people are out to arrest eachother, rather than participating in a constructive kind spirited discourse that will benefit us all.

G.

Upvote 0
Quasimodo said:
Jesse said:

How very sad!

The OP presents the only thing that actually matters in photography, - photos. Does it matter if the capture could have been gotten with other gear? He has found a combo that works great for him, and conveys it in an entusiastic manner. God forbid that people are actually thrilled about something....

Is it me, or have the discussions on the latest threads taken a sour/foul turn? I find more and more that people are out to arrest eachother, rather than participating in a constructive kind spirited discourse that will benefit us all.

G.

Actually I don't think it's you. I agree with you on that. There's alot of aggression and insults for no apparent reasons. I felt I used to be able to post really any questions showing my ignorance and still get very polite and informative answers and not getting shot down. Now I won't, on the other hand I might be a part of it without knowing it.

J

Upvote 0
Hobby Shooter said:
Quasimodo said:
Jesse said:

How very sad!

G.

Actually I don't think it's you. I agree with you on that. There's alot of aggression and insults for no apparent reasons. I felt I used to be able to post really any questions showing my ignorance and still get very polite and informative answers and not getting shot down. Now I won't, on the other hand I might be a part of it without knowing it.

J

:) me too without been aware of it.

Spring is upon us, and hopefully more sun-more ceratonin-more fun :)

Like you I have benefitted tremendously from the collective wisdom and konsensus of this forum. Pity if this sentiment is destroyed by petty individuals.

G.

Upvote 0
Quasimodo said:
Hobby Shooter said:
Quasimodo said:
Jesse said:

How very sad!

G.

J

:) me too without been aware of it.

Spring is upon us, and hopefully more sun-more ceratonin-more fun :)

Like you I have benefitted tremendously from the collective wisdom and konsensus of this forum. Pity if this sentiment is destroyed by petty individuals.

G.
Quasimodo & Hobby Shooter, I totally agree with you.
Sanj posted a really nice image, instead of appreciating it, some people argue about irrelevant stuff, making it very petty and childish.

Upvote 0
eml58 said:
Rienzphotoz said:
neuroanatomist said:

"Sour Grapes" I've heard, seen, felt, but "Frog in the well" ??? New one for me & I've been around longer than I care to think about, but agree your & Neuro's sentiment, we all have one thing in common, we love Photography, some people just loose sight of what's really important from time to time, and that's not what others have, it's the Photography.
This is the story of "Frog in the Well" http://www.taiwandc.org/folk-fro.htm
The reason I used that reference was due to one of one guys cribbing about the OP using expensive f/1.2 lens to capture that image.
I totally agree with you when you say "we all have one thing in common, we love Photography".
Peace

Upvote 0
Jesse said:

You're wrong and disrespectful

Upvote 0
Jesse said:
Um, the first photo you posted is of 6 girls in their panties in a place called "Temptations Ladyboy Bar". And believe me, I'm 23 and the last thing I am is offended by this, but please don't call it "street photography.

Jessie! See the sign post? That indicates that this is indeed outside. But if we were to get super technical, you may be right as I am not standing on a street or the subject on a street. However it is practically an extension of a street where lots of bars are.

And yes, I do realize the obvious that 1dx and 85 1.2 will give best results at night photography. However, I never read about this combo for night street photography and so expressed myself. Most talk about Leica or such and 35mm lenses for street photography but not of this combo. This combo works on various levels: 1. Low noise at high ISO. 2. Weather sealing 3. Great out of focus background. 4. One can be a bit far from the subject and get candid shots.

Upvote 0
Most at 3200 ISO. f 1.2

Attachments

• _FG_3548-as-Smart-Object-1.jpg
    _FG_3548-as-Smart-Object-1.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 3,911
  • _FG_3633-as-Smart-Object-1.jpg
    _FG_3633-as-Smart-Object-1.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 945
  • _FG_3792-as-Smart-Object-1.jpg
    _FG_3792-as-Smart-Object-1.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 991