1dx plus 85 1.2 is great for night street photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
TrumpetPower! said:
sanj said:
ISO 2000. 1.2 1/640

In fairness, the 1DX wasn't even breathing hard, let alone breaking a sweat. You'd need to go at least a half dozen stops darker before it really starts to pull away from the competition.

But nice photography, nonetheless. HCB would nod approval.

Cheers,

b&

Thank you... What does HCB stand for?

Upvote 0
sanj...you inspired me to take my 1dx - 85 1.8 combo out on a walk this morning to see if I might come upon something of interest.

usually I slap my trusty 24-105 on for "walk about" photography, or sometimes the shorty 40, but this was a first for the 85 1.8.

not a "street shot", but I like this image. cloudy and gray here today, and considering the setting, i went b/w using nik silver efx.

f10
250th
iso 100

thanks for your post....in the future I'll be using this combo again for "walkabout" photography.

Attachments

• CH1T5979 (1).jpg
    CH1T5979 (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 642
Upvote 0
sanj said:
Very graphic! And the plane is a good touch... :)

Is your sensor dirty?

thx...one plane after another every minute, that part was easy. getting the right location for composition so that my shot didn't have any names viewable on a headstone was tougher.

sensor - i don't think so, why?

edit....yes, you were right....i was able to blow them away. thx.

Upvote 0
Northstar said:
sanj said:

Is your sensor dirty?

thx...one plane after another every minute, that part was easy. getting the right location for composition so that my shot didn't have any names viewable on a headstone was tougher.

11 O'clock right over the treeline over the lane

Upvote 0
Northstar said:
sanj said:

Is your sensor dirty?

Sanj might be right, I think ur sensor needs cleaning ... zoom in just slightly to the right above the tail of the plane and you will see a clearly visible round dust spot ... now look either side of the sky and you will see that several such dust spots are clearly visible ... I can see it even on my iPad mini ... btw AWESOME image.

Edit: oops, sorry, didn't notice ur edit that u already noticed and took care of the dust. Peace

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
Northstar said:
sanj said:

Is your sensor dirty?

Sanj might be right, I think ur sensor needs cleaning ... zoom in just slightly to the right above the tail of the plane and you will see a clearly visible round dust spot ... now look either side of the sky and you will see that several such dust spots are clearly visible ... I can see it even on my iPad mini ... btw AWESOME image.

Edit: oops, sorry, didn't notice ur edit that u already noticed and took care of the dust. Peace

thx rienz....I actually went back in and "retouched" the dust spots out of the original image...I have no idea how my sensor suddenly became that dirty.

Upvote 0
Northstar said:
sanj...you inspired me to take my 1dx - 85 1.8 combo out on a walk this morning to see if I might come upon something of interest.

usually I slap my trusty 24-105 on for "walk about" photography, or sometimes the shorty 40, but this was a first for the 85 1.8.

not a "street shot", but I like this image. cloudy and gray here today, and considering the setting, i went b/w using nik silver efx.

f10
250th
iso 100

thanks for your post....in the future I'll be using this combo again for "walkabout" photography.

That is a brilliant composition IMO. Very well done.

Upvote 0
sanj said:
Jesse said:
Um, the first photo you posted is of 6 girls in their panties in a place called "Temptations Ladyboy Bar". And believe me, I'm 23 and the last thing I am is offended by this, but please don't call it "street photography.

Jessie! See the sign post? That indicates that this is indeed outside. But if we were to get super technical, you may be right as I am not standing on a street or the subject on a street. However it is practically an extension of a street where lots of bars are.

And yes, I do realize the obvious that 1dx and 85 1.2 will give best results at night photography. However, I never read about this combo for night street photography and so expressed myself. Most talk about Leica or such and 35mm lenses for street photography but not of this combo. This combo works on various levels: 1. Low noise at high ISO. 2. Weather sealing 3. Great out of focus background. 4. One can be a bit far from the subject and get candid shots.
Sanj, I don't think you need to justify your post. the discussion has already proved that it was very relevant both regarding the HW combo but also your pictures got people talking. I look forward to see more of your stuff.

thanks
J

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
eml58 said:
Rienzphotoz said:
neuroanatomist said:
I can take good pics of small birds with >$20,000 worth of gear. :p
Good one! ... I guess some don't understand that there are people who can pay top dollar for the gear they want and/or need. Maybe its a case of "Sour Grapes" or "Frog in the Well" mentality.

"Sour Grapes" I've heard, seen, felt, but "Frog in the well" ??? New one for me & I've been around longer than I care to think about, but agree your & Neuro's sentiment, we all have one thing in common, we love Photography, some people just loose sight of what's really important from time to time, and that's not what others have, it's the Photography.
This is the story of "Frog in the Well" http://www.taiwandc.org/folk-fro.htm
The reason I used that reference was due to one of one guys cribbing about the OP using expensive f/1.2 lens to capture that image.
I totally agree with you when you say "we all have one thing in common, we love Photography".
Peace

Yep, suits the situation, Thanks for that, probably the most wonderful thing about Life, you learn something new at every opportunity, I like the Story Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0
florianbieler.de said:
Literally, the first thing that came to my mind when I read the title of this thread was:

asdasdrcrvk.jpg

Seriously, I highly doubt anyone can not tell that a body that can handle high Iso that perfect, and a 85mm 1.2 lens are probably the best base for shots in such circumstances.

learncanon said:
my 6D + 50 1.8 can do great street photography at night too and many folds cheaper than your 1dx + 85 1.2.

talking about IQ/price ratio, my combo is greater than yours. ;)

You compare a 50 1.8 to a 85 1.2? Heck, even a 6D to a 1DX? That is almost more trolling than the original post here.
+1

Upvote 0
Quasimodo said:
Jesse said:
Um, the first photo you posted is of 6 girls in their panties in a place called "Temptations Ladyboy Bar". And believe me, I'm 23 and the last thing I am is offended by this, but please don't call it "street photography.

Why on earth not?!!! On the contrary, I think the first shot captures the essence of street photography, whether it is actually outside or not. That picture will withstand time and could be a semiotic symbol representing a particular part of some culture in a particular point in time/history.

Sanj, I again applaud you for a great picture which actually tells a story, and please do not pay heed to sour nay-sayers.

G.

Thank you for your kind words... :)

Upvote 0
TexPhoto said:
I wonder if anyone has tried the 1DX with some of the big f2.8 telephotos for sports photography? I'm willing to bet it would work well for that.

One day when I have some more money I want to walk the streets at night with 1dx and the 200 f2. Whoa!!!
And I am certain that if you search you will find many 1dx with 2.8 lenses sports photos...

Upvote 0
skitron said:
Northstar said:

f10
250th
iso 100

That is a brilliant composition IMO. Very well done.

Thanks Skit!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.