1dx plus 85 1.2 is great for night street photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2012
The low noise of 1dx at high ISO plus the 1.2 f stop of the 85mm lens open up options of night street photography which were difficult before for me.

Am loving it as I love to walk nights where ever I travel and take photos. Many times I am working in day time with my real job and do not get to do any photography.

Am loving it!

Attachments

• _FG_2731-as-Smart-Object-1.jpg
    _FG_2731-as-Smart-Object-1.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 14,100
H

Hobby Shooter

sanj said:
Robby am trying to figure out your statement.

All I am saying is the camera lens combo I mention is never discussed when street photography is mentioned. But to me it seems like the best when shooting in low light. # no sarcasm
I got what you meant. It's probably like what you say, the 85L doesn't get much attention when it comes to street. I like the pic, is it in Bangkok? The guy with the smoke seems to carry a fair bit of attitude.

Upvote 0
sanj it was totally in jest, hence the sarcasm. One would expect you to be able to take great images, regardless of the situation with, in my opinion, the near pinnacle of canon gear. Personally I hate the idea that a lens, or camera for that matter, it meant for only a specific purpose. Some are known to say certain lenses are landscape lenses, portrait lenses, others are street lenses, etc, it's just silly in my mind. FWIW the little late night shooting I do is almost exclusively with the little brother of your pair, a 5diii and 85 1.8. I believe the saying goes "the best camera is the one you have with you."

Upvote 0
Literally, the first thing that came to my mind when I read the title of this thread was:

asdasdrcrvk.jpg

Seriously, I highly doubt anyone can not tell that a body that can handle high Iso that perfect, and a 85mm 1.2 lens are probably the best base for shots in such circumstances.

learncanon said:
my 6D + 50 1.8 can do great street photography at night too and many folds cheaper than your 1dx + 85 1.2.

talking about IQ/price ratio, my combo is greater than yours. ;)

You compare a 50 1.8 to a 85 1.2? Heck, even a 6D to a 1DX? That is almost more trolling than the original post here.

Upvote 0
You compare a 50 1.8 to a 85 1.2? Heck, even a 6D to a 1DX? That is almost more trolling than the original post here.

you would be surprised many great photos are taken by the Rebels and m4/3. With good technique, framing, story-telling and skills, people can produce greater photographs that rival the IQ of 1dx + 85 1.2.

Upvote 0
learncanon said:
you would be surprised many great photos are taken by the Rebels and m4/3. With good technique, framing, story-telling and skills, people can produce greater photographs that rival the IQ of 1dx + 85 1.2.

You do realize that IQ does not mean quality regarding to technique, framing, story-telling and skills, but IMAGE quality, regarding noise, sharpness and so on? In that point it is absolutely ridiculous to compare these combinations.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Hobby Shooter said:
sanj said:
Robby am trying to figure out your statement.

All I am saying is the camera lens combo I mention is never discussed when street photography is mentioned. But to me it seems like the best when shooting in low light. # no sarcasm
I got what you meant. It's probably like what you say, the 85L doesn't get much attention when it comes to street. I like the pic, is it in Bangkok? The guy with the smoke seems to carry a fair bit of attitude.

The combo does get lots of attention but the tradeoff is that the IQ is great.

Yep the guy with the cigarette is flamboyant. :)

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
robbymack said:
sanj it was totally in jest, hence the sarcasm. One would expect you to be able to take great images, regardless of the situation with, in my opinion, the near pinnacle of canon gear. Personally I hate the idea that a lens, or camera for that matter, it meant for only a specific purpose. Some are known to say certain lenses are landscape lenses, portrait lenses, others are street lenses, etc, it's just silly in my mind. FWIW the little late night shooting I do is almost exclusively with the little brother of your pair, a 5diii and 85 1.8. I believe the saying goes "the best camera is the one you have with you."

Agree with everything. I am sure 5d3 or 1dx will work almost equally in this situation for most eyes.

Upvote 0
Hobby Shooter said:
I like the pic, is it in Bangkok? The guy with the smoke seems to carry a fair bit of attitude.

It is Nana Plaza on Sukhumvit Soi 4. I will let you google the rest! ;-)

Sanj, nice shot. Just be careful not to get carried away and leave your nice camera unattended while you are distracted elsewhere!! And do not leave it out if you have a "friend" visit your hotel!! That's what the safe is for! But I do not think I need to tell you that.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
florianbieler.de said:
learncanon said:

You do realize that IQ does not mean quality regarding to technique, framing, story-telling and skills, but IMAGE quality, regarding noise, sharpness and so on? In that point it is absolutely ridiculous to compare these combinations.

You both make very valid points. Smile.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
expatinasia said:
Hobby Shooter said:
I like the pic, is it in Bangkok? The guy with the smoke seems to carry a fair bit of attitude.

It is Nana Plaza on Sukhumvit Soi 4. I will let you google the rest! ;-)

Sanj, nice shot. Just be careful not to get carried away and leave your nice camera unattended while you are distracted elsewhere!! And do not leave it out if you have a "friend" visit your hotel!! That's what the safe is for! But I do not think I need to tell you that.

Yes it is Nana. And yes I guard my equipment very carefully. It does not come off my neck under any circumstance. :) THANK YOU BUDDY.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.