2022 is scheduled to ‘The Year of the Camera Body’ [CR3]

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
45MP is plenty for me. A decent upgrade "R5Mkii" and/or a pro-grade 33MP APS "R7" would be where I'm looking to go next.

But I really wish 2022 would be "Year of the RF Lenses" - there are still a few "missing" from the range.
How about a nice compact 180mm or 150mm F5.6 AF 1:1 macro for starters?
Or a birding/safari 150-600mm F4-6.3 zoom?

... and some non-extending zooms for those that like them?

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I do hope they offer an updated R. The camera doesn't get much respect on this forum, but it performs well above its price point. Unfortunately, I don't know how they upgrade it without undercutting the R6.

It looks like the great APS-C debate will continue on this forum for awhile.

Now that I have the R3 in hand, I think it makes sense for Canon to wait for professional feedback before they release the R1. My guess is that they will want to have a second generation of the eye-control autofocus ready before they release the R1. Eye and face detection could also be improved, especially so that it better detects Black subjects.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I've seen nothing suggesting that DSLRs are anything but past announcements.
But yes, there is always hope... ;-)
Pentax will help you out. I'm quite tempted to add a Pentax K3 Mkiii to run alongside my Canon gear, for the sheer pleasure of using one. The cameras are pretty much bullet-proof, and just about any lens you could want is available in K mount.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
But I really wish 2022 would be "Year of the RF Lenses" - there are still a few "missing" from the range.
How about a nice compact 180mm or 150mm F5.6 AF 1:1 macro for starters?
Or a birding/safari 150-600mm F4-6.3 zoom?

... and some non-extending zooms for those that like them?
I imagine there will be more RF lenses coming next year, but I would also expect that most will be from the "roadmap" rather than the "rainbow unicorn" category.

Upvote 0
I don't know how they upgrade it without undercutting the R6.
R successor upgrades that won't hurt R6 sales:
- similiar sensor like the R with a slight bump (32 MP) or a completely new 24 MP sensor without BSI (I don't believe in a new sensor though)
- 8-10 FPS with mechanical shutter and focusing abilities
- 10-12 FPS with electronical shutter
- uncropped 4k 30FPS (I don´t care, but the internet does...)
- no Touch Bar (I use it but could live without it)

and to really differentiate from the R6:
- no IBIS
- no 4K 60FPS
- single card slot

The point where gets really tricky is the focusing abilities of the R successor. On the one hand, Canon needs to differentiate the R successor and the R6, on the other hand they are in danger to "unnecessarily cripple" the camera in its focusing abilities. I won't even try to take a guess here, because I have no clue how I'd handle this issue.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I do hope they offer an updated R. The camera doesn't get much respect on this forum, but it performs well above its price point.
I´ll seond that opinion. The R has a great value but there is still so much negativity out there about this camera. I figure this mainly still comes from its release. People were disappointed in not getting a truly pro camera. Furthermore, a lot of feature were taken from the 5D IV and so people started comparing those cameras. The"Touch Bar" fiasco and cropped 4k really took care of the camera never getting a fair chance and being reviewed for it is. There recently was a quiet interesting review about the R on thephoblographer. I think people should really reconsider what they think about this camera in terms of what the successor will/ could offer. imho, a R successor with the right improvements could a be huge seller for Canon.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I do hope they offer an updated R. The camera doesn't get much respect on this forum, but it performs well above its price point. Unfortunately, I don't know how they upgrade it without undercutting the R6.[..]
I would love an updated RP, its small size if great for bringing it along, but it really needs better AF.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I highly doubt Canon will develop a new sensor for a/ or two lower cost model(s). Heck, the R got the sensor from the 5D mk IV, the RP has the 6D Mk II sensor. I therefore figure the R replacement will use the same sensor, but it'll get a slight upgrade to 32 mp or maybe 34 mp. Next camera to maybe feature BSI are the R5/ 6 mkii and the R1, if it doesn't get an even better sensor.
If it gets a resolution upgrade, then it’s a different sensor. Whether the underlying technologies are changed to the ones Canon is using in its new models is something else. I would imagine that they would want to get as much as possible on those, as quickly as they can since they solved the problems that had them behind for so many years.

it’s a point of competitiveness. They want to sell as many of all their models as they can. Sony is now the one to beat. And we can be sure that they are dead in the center of Canon’s sights.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I imagine there will be more RF lenses coming next year, but I would also expect that most will be from the "roadmap" rather than the "rainbow unicorn" category.
Very true, but I can dream.
It's my birthday today, so the very least that Canon could do would be to announce the 180mm F5.6 stabilised macro or 150-600mm zoom that I yearn for... :D

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Competition is THICK right, but it would be really cool if Canon released a sort of "M50 of the EOS R world" next. An affordable camera that appeals to a lot of people, but makes for a terrific and simple video camera. Right now the EOS R could be seen as that, but it doesn't check off all the boxes I'm looking for - especially in 4K. If they made a decent 4K camera with IBIS in a small, lightweight body priced around $1100-1300 it would be mighty impressive. DON'T recycle the RP or R sensor!!

I don't think the market will accept another camera from Canon without IBIS, but I don't think Canon will adhere to that ideology with its next affordable cameras. It will probably reserve IBIS as a feature for higher tier cameras.

Heck, it would just be nice to see Aperture Priority added to video mode on the R6! But that's apparently too much to ask for, sadly.

Upvote 0
It's easy to see the R6 sensor being reused (after all it's a 1D Mklll sensor and it carries far more cache and ability than the old 18mp low end reused sensor)

Single card slot and less to no weather sealing. There's your R8/9
It would make sense to reuse th R6 sensor in a new entry level camera, plenty performance for entry level, and with a quite usable ES.
I wouldn't be surprised if the R6 mk2 gets the R3 sensor some time after the R1 hits the market.

Upvote 0
R successor upgrades that won't hurt R6 sales:
- similiar sensor like the R with a slight bump (32 MP) or a completely new 24 MP sensor without BSI (I don't believe in a new sensor though)
- 8-10 FPS with mechanical shutter and focusing abilities
- 10-12 FPS with electronical shutter
- uncropped 4k 30FPS (I don´t care, but the internet does...)
- no Touch Bar (I use it but could live without it)

and to really differentiate from the R6:
- no IBIS
- no 4K 60FPS
- single card slot

The point where gets really tricky is the focusing abilities of the R successor. On the one hand, Canon needs to differentiate the R successor and the R6, on the other hand they are in danger to "unnecessarily cripple" the camera in its focusing abilities. I won't even try to take a guess here, because I have no clue how I'd handle this issue.

I switched from the R to the R6. Based on my experience with both, I'd think that they could use the same sensor as the R and the same Digic X processor as the R3, R5, and R6. The shutter can be a step down (slower and cheaper) from the R5/6, but the focusing and the IBIS should be included. Probably good to also keep all of the video modes that the R has that are lacking on the R6. Single card slot, and the same controls and dials as the R6. Fewer FPS in both mechanical and electronic shutter modes, a single card slot, and an older (but higher resolution) sensor than the R6 would be differentiation enough, but the improved focusing, IBIS, and better controls would be incentive enough for an upgrade.

Upvote 0
There’s a 100-400 non-L and a 100-500L. Neither are abnormal.

If you want an internal focusing 70-200, get the EF and adapt it. They’re not going to release an RF version until the MkII updates for the two of them that already exist, that will be a long time and the design probably will not change.

We own 70-200 f/2.8 and I don't like design at all. Canon did much more consistent (at least in comparison to other RF lens design) work with the f/4 version. I hope next f/2.8 interation changes that. Why the ring order on those two lens is reversed, escapes my mind.

Upvote 0