2022 is scheduled to ‘The Year of the Camera Body’ [CR3]

You misspelled 35 f/1.2
I’m really anticipating a 35 1.2 myself. I use a 35 a lot for environmental and editorial style portrait work and I’m quite curious about what improvements I can get in depth of field separation on my subjects. Even if it’s minimal I’ll take what I can get.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
We own 70-200 f/2.8 and I don't like design at all. Canon did much more consistent (at least in comparison to other RF lens design) work with the f/4 version. I hope next f/2.8 interation changes that. Why the ring order on those two lens is reversed, escapes my mind.
I suspect it’s the optical design. The EF 70-300L had ‘reversed’ focus and zoom ring positions because it had a floating rear focusing group to improve sharpness at close focus distances.

It doesn’t bother me, the focus/zoom/control ring positions are the same on the RF 70-200/2.8L and RF 100-500L so for me black lenses are one set of controls and white are another.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
There’s a 100-400 non-L and a 100-500L. Neither are abnormal.

If you want an internal zooming 70-200, get the EF and adapt it. They’re not going to release an RF version until the MkII updates for the two of them that already exist, that will be a long time and the design probably will not change.
1640287938132.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2020
I wouldn't count on too much. Less than 10 months ago the rumor was Canon was going to make a massive splash with a new camera and many many lenses in 2021. We did get the R3, but only 4 new mainstream RF lenses, a dual fisheye, and 2 tele RFs that were seemingly simple modifications of existing EF lens designs.

The world remains panicked over SARS Cov2 test results so 2022 may be only a little better than 2021 as far and new product introductions. And if Canon is focused on releasing three or so new camera bodies, that may mean only a few new lenses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
I don't know anything about specifics of sensor technology, so don't know what should and shouldn't be expected in that regard. But what I would guess is important to the random person in an R successor is that camera gets the better eye detection and tracking we've seen in the R5/6. I also full expect it will lose the touch bar, but what that means for the replacement controls I'm not sure. I feel like Canon would reserve the joystick for the R6 and above. The megapixels will be fine whatever Canon chooses for it. Single card slot and not much, if any, weather sealing are also safe bets.

I also wonder if the name will be as simple as calling it the R Mark II, or if they'll change it to something else.

As for lenses, I just want to see those autofocus Tilt-Shift lenses in action.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
maybe canon could look up to sony and release 24, 35, 50, 85 in 1.4 with compact size and with pro focus and build.
that's something sorely missing at the moment.
there is glaring hole between 1.2 and 1.8/2.0 versions of the lenses.
1.2 too heavy and big and unwieldy and 1.8/2.0 too slow to focus and light build quality.
something i think most wedding photographers would more than welcome.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Any opinion on whether a mostly-still photog should just get the R5c when it comes out? Is it merely going to be more expensive and a few mm thicker for the cooling? Or is it somehow going to suck enough that you really don't want it unless you're heavily using the video?
If you are a mostly-still photographer, why would you choose a cinema model over the R5?

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
If you are a mostly-still photographer, why would you choose a cinema model over the R5?

It really comes down to the quoted question. If there aren't any drawbacks except a modest size increase and cost, then even occasionally video use might warrant the purchase. (As opposed to something more drastic like removing the mechanical shutter)

Upvote 0