2022 is scheduled to ‘The Year of the Camera Body’ [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have been told a couple of times now that 2022 is still scheduled to be “The Year of the Camera Body” from Canon. This means we should expect many new camera bodies announced this year. For the moment, it sounds like most major releases will happen in the 2nd half of 2022.
While I haven’t been told specific models, I do have a good idea about what to expect from Canon.
The first camera announced will be the Canon EOS R5c that I have been reporting about for quite some time. The EOS R5c is expected to be announced in mid-January of 2022.
I also expect replacements for both the Canon EOS R and Canon EOS RP. I don’t believe either camera will get a direct replacement and instead we’ll get two new affordable full-frame cameras to fit below the Canon EOS R6.
I also expect at least one APS-C RF mount camera to be...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Jul 21, 2010
What about lenses?
Will there be a normal 100-400 and 70-200 IF?
There’s a 100-400 non-L and a 100-500L. Neither are abnormal.

If you want an internal zooming 70-200, get the EF and adapt it. They’re not going to release an RF version until the MkII updates for the two of them that already exist, that will be a long time and the design probably will not change.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

2Cents

EOS R5, 1DX mkiii, C70, R5 C
Nov 2, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
www.606.media
It’ll be interesting to see what kind of sensor they put an R replacement. I doubt it will be the one in the R5 and the one in the R6 is quite low res compared to what’s out there. So maybe a new one, and it their new sensor fab is making Stacked, BSI sensors it could be very interesting.
Stacked BSI & DGO for all!

Upvote 0
The R successor will be the most interesting for me. I love my R but I'm exciting to see whether Canon is going to keep the R with a new naming scheme in the line-up. The R6 is not for me, the R5 too expensive for a pure hobbyist/ enthusiast like me.

I´m also wondering whether Canon will release a high-mp R5 or if they just opt to go that route with 80-100mp R1. It would at least one (or two) crazy processor.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
It’ll be interesting to see what kind of sensor they put an R replacement. I doubt it will be the one in the R5 and the one in the R6 is quite low res compared to what’s out there. So maybe a new one, and it their new sensor fab is making Stacked, BSI sensors it could be very interesting.
Probably a 0% chance of a stacked BSI sensor in the low end bodies. R3 and the higher end bodies are the only ones that have it now, and at much higher price points. I don't even know if that tech will filter down to the R5/6 mk 2, or wait until mk 3. To see it jump down to the entry level bodies would be a huge shocker. They are also generally built for speed, which is not something the R and RP are built for. So it would seem a waste to put such a sensor in a body that can't use it, and/or drive the price of that body up significantly when you are trying to aim for entry level.

I'm sure it will be something new though, and probably better than the 5d and 6d type sensors in the original R and RP.

Brian

Upvote 0
It’ll be interesting to see what kind of sensor they put an R replacement. (...) So maybe a new one, and it their new sensor fab is making Stacked, BSI sensors it could be very interesting.
I highly doubt Canon will develop a new sensor for a/ or two lower cost model(s). Heck, the R got the sensor from the 5D mk IV, the RP has the 6D Mk II sensor. I therefore figure the R replacement will use the same sensor, but it'll get a slight upgrade to 32 mp or maybe 34 mp. Next camera to maybe feature BSI are the R5/ 6 mkii and the R1, if it doesn't get an even better sensor.

Upvote 0