5D Mark III, 1D Mark V & 1Ds Mark IV Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WarStreet

Canihaspicture, the competition technology (Sony sensors) are very good at the moment, and they have a strong momentum. I think it will be very difficult for Canon to surpass Sony by a big gap, although I can never exclude the possibility. I will be more than happy if Canon is just competitive with Sony's sensors, and yes I will be happier if the new technology is groundbreaking :)

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
macfly said:
46 for the 1Ds would make me very happy!
polpaulin said:
36 mp for 1Ds I sell mine and I stop with Canon , too many pixels for a small sensor
the 7D is not a good camera

you win some, you lose some...

frankly though, I don't mind the 5D III dropping later rather than sooner ... I've got other things I want to spend money on this year and next year besides upgrading ...

I don't want to get between flake and motorhead, but I don't see why a 36 MP or even 46 MP image should slow you down if you have even a reasonably spec'd current system. I am only an amateur photographer but I am a professional working in the design and graphics industry. the last file I worked in was 500 MB illustrator file, and raster work I do regularly exceeds 250 MB. pretty sure that's bigger than anything even coming out of a phase 1 back.

if you were to get a computer with an Intel core i3 or i5, a mid-level production graphics card (not a gaming card), 8GB of RAM, and a 7200+ RPM hard drive all on a sturdy motherboard running USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbp/s, you could have a brand new system that will chew through 36 MP files, both in terms of processing and in terms of input/output read/write speeds, all for well less than $1000. and that's a system that will last you into the next camera cycle. your external HDD should be running USB 3.0 at this point if you do professional photography of any sort.

if you are willing to put out just a little more dough, up to the $1500 range, you can get a SSD drive involved, and probably another graphics card in SLI/Xfire configuration. that might take you into one more camera cycle. computing power has never been cheaper, and there's no reason not to invest in your entire workflow, not just the front end.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
kubelik said:
your external HDD should be running USB 3.0 at this point if you do professional photography of any sort.

Or FW800. USB3 has a faster theoretical spec, but suffers in practice because the CPU must manage the data stream, whereas FW does not have that dependency. So, in the real world, USB3 finally achieves the speeds that FW800 has had for years. Then again, if you want fast, get yourself a system with Thunderbolt and a Pegasus RAID storage system...

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
neuro, canihas, good points both. however, my main focus was the fact that a high-performance desktop for photo-processing (and really any workplace) functions is very accessible, and there's no reason to be daunted by 50 or 60 MB files coming off of a >21MP resolution camera. for a modern shooter, your computer equipment is worth investing in just like good flash units or good lenses are worth investing in.

Upvote 0
P

polpaulin

kubelik said:
neuro, canihas, good points both. however, my main focus was the fact that a high-performance desktop for photo-processing (and really any workplace) functions is very accessible, and there's no reason to be daunted by 50 or 60 MB files coming off of a >21MP resolution camera. for a modern shooter, your computer equipment is worth investing in just like good flash units or good lenses are worth investing in.
the reason is not the computer , I have a big MAC PRO, but the pixel size AND pixel pitch, I shall NEVER buy a FF 35mm with 40 mp it is a non sense, only good for tourists

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I shall NEVER buy a FF 35mm with 40 mp

Better hope whatever you do buy will last a long, long time because it may be hard to find cameras with less than 40 mp in a few years.

my main focus was the fact that a high-performance desktop for photo-processing (and really any workplace) functions is very accessible, and there's no reason to be daunted by 50 or 60 MB files coming off of a >21MP resolution camera. for a modern shooter, your computer equipment is worth investing in just like good flash units or good lenses are worth investing in.

I agree, but with a slightly different perspective. I remember the days when, if you were serious about photography, you had to take a room in your home and completely convert it over to a darkroom, with enlarger, plumbing, sink, chemicals, etc. etc. (and that was only for black and white prints, almost no one could afford to do color on their own). The truth is, what I save in film costs alone probably more than offsets the cost of a new computer every three-four years.

Upvote 0
J

JimKarczewski

kubelik said:
I shall NEVER buy a FF 35mm with 40 mp it is a non sense, only good for tourists

Well, I for sure welcome any MP Increase, 40, 50, I don't care. Storage is cheap and to say it's for "Tourists" only is BS. Long as it has speed and works. When I shoot assignments now for the newspaper, I shoot strictly sRaw1 on the 5DII, but when I need something I know I'm going to have to crop to get the content, I shoot full size so I have the necessary latitude.

Last week a friend shot a pair of nesting bald eagles with his 5DII and my 70-200 @ 200. He cropped the hell out of it and had to enlarge it beyond being crappy to even see the birds. Having 40MP would had lessened the burden some.

Also, nobody has mentioned, would Canon be sneaky and add their patented Foveon type sensor to a new flagship model?

Honestly all I care about is they increase the IQ with more DR and increased noise performance. Could this be solved by the new multi-layer sensor? Anybody's guess for the next couple of weeks I guess.

Upvote 0
P

polpaulin

JimKarczewski said:
kubelik said:
I shall NEVER buy a FF 35mm with 40 mp it is a non sense, only good for tourists

Well, I for sure welcome any MP Increase, 40, 50, I don't care. Storage is cheap and to say it's for "Tourists" only is BS. Long as it has speed and works. When I shoot assignments now for the newspaper, I shoot strictly sRaw1 on the 5DII, but when I need something I know I'm going to have to crop to get the content, I shoot full size so I have the necessary latitude.

Last week a friend shot a pair of nesting bald eagles with his 5DII and my 70-200 @ 200. He cropped the hell out of it and had to enlarge it beyond being crappy to even see the birds. Having 40MP would had lessened the burden some.

Also, nobody has mentioned, would Canon be sneaky and add their patented Foveon type sensor to a new flagship model?

Honestly all I care about is they increase the IQ with more DR. Could this be solved by the new multi-layer sensor? Anybody's guess for the next couple of weeks I guess.
I see that you dont know what you are talking about a 7D is certainly the right camera for you

I have an Hasselblad with 40 MP but the sensor is twice the one of a Canon ... anyway to answer is spoiled time

Upvote 0
polpaulin said:
skitron said:
polpaulin said:
...a FF 35mm with 40 mp it is a non sense, only good for tourists

Why is that as long as they manage to control noise?
noise seems to be all your life, and IQ at native ISO you have heard about it ? a 1Ds is a pro camera not for tourists

Noise is the primary thing that needs to be controlled (at the sensor level) to achieve high native ISO...thus IQ...

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
I want better AF, DR, and IQ. better FPS would be nice as well.

Megapixels could be anything Canon wants (greater than 21 at least), provided those criteria are met. It's nice being able to crop down some when shooting with a FF camera.

I also like not having to stitch frames together to get a large image, since that doesn't necessarily work with architectural subjects that need everything straight to be truly straight.

Upvote 0
Canon should only have 1 camera in the MP race...probably the 1D Mark V. The 5D should stay around the 21-24MP range (or lower) with 7fps shooting, have an amazing focus system to compensate for the crap they put in the Mark II and up the high ISO capabilities so that 12800 is very usable. Ideally they should have 2 1D models, one for great high ISO performance in a lower 21MP body w/12fps shooting and another that pushes the 36MP mark with a more standard 7fps geared more for studio. With high MP comes lower ISO performance and slower speeds which most run & gun shooters with 5D's don't consider a worthy sacrifice.

All should have 1080p video @60fps with the 5d having allowing 120fps@720p.

The canon 8D really only needs a minor refresh with the previous movie modes, dual memory card slots, digic5 with better high ISO performance and 18-21MP @7+fps shooting. All of these specs should be possible. I think Nikon will stay in the 16-18MP range with their low light capable cameras so Canon should have the MP upper hand if they stay in the 18-21MP range. Since their cameras are already capable of this, I expect they could focus more attention to low light performance and speed.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
polpaulin said:

kennykodak said:
call me a tourist anytime.

There are no permanent residents here. We are all tourists. Our visits are but a blink of the eye to the mountains and the sea.

I want to see the world through the eyes of a tourist, where everything is new and unusual. How can a good photographer be anything but a tourist?

Upvote 0
J

jeremymerriam

Flake said:
motorhead said:
quote author=Flake link=topic=1444.msg20198#msg20198 date=1312529755]
Why would anyone want 36MP? It's not a huge increase in terms of resolution, however the files are larger, meaning that there's less of them per GB, they take proportionatly longer to transfer to the PC longer to open & to apply PP. On top of that noise is generally worse, and with that dynamic range takes a hit too. Lens flaws are made even worse, processing in camera takes longer.

For me 25MP with better dynamic range (lower noise), a digic V processor with its greater power used to give more fps (3.9 just isn't quick enough).
If you need more MP then either buy a medium format (your work will obviously fund this) or if it's landscape the stitch two images together to acheive the same!

Sounds like someone urgently needs to consider upgrading their computer system, or at least parts of it.

I on the other hand want the highest mp count they can possibly cram into the beast, 65mp? Bring it on!

Amazing! Only the other day you were decrying the noise & dynamic range of your current camera, and now you've done a complete 180 turn and decided that neither actually matter - nor image quality, all you want is high MP! Make your mind up because you can't have both!

As for my PC it's quad core 8GB running windows 7 I think it's powerful enough, the laptop is a Lenovo W700 again more than powerful enough.

Clearly you're an amature snapper who processes just a few images at a time for those of us needing to process a couple of hundred at a go, twice the file size makes a huge difference to the time it takes, and that's regardless of computer power.
[/quote]

lol, I knew a girl that they called the snapper--lets keep it at that

I agree with you, Flake. I could easily setting just for a high enough MP to get rid of the AA filter and to improve DR. Pending this next announcement will decide whether I buy another Canon or I go with a digital back. I would like canon to have my back but I do prefer the 6x4.5 images. It will have to take a stunning DR improvement to make me spend my dollars on another Canon camera because of my applications.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.