Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/08/5d-mark-iii-1d-mark-v-1ds-mark-iv-tidbits/" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/08/5d-mark-iii-1d-mark-v-1ds-mark-iv-tidbits/"></a></div>
<strong>Announcement(s) Soon

</strong>I’ll be posting more of the random stuff I get daily. Things are starting to heat up a bit as announcement season is nearly upon us.</p>
<p><strong>Random Info:</strong></p>
<ul style="font-weight: bold;">
<li><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-weight: normal;">Canon Australia has sent CPS management to Singapore for product training. [CR2]</span></li>
<li><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-weight: normal;">Any Canon announcement will come after Nikon’s announcement on August 24, 2011. [CR2]</span></li>
<li><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-weight: normal;">5D Mark III’s are in the wild and an announcement is imminent [CR1]</span></li>
<li><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-weight: normal;">1D Mark IV’s are out of stock or hard to come by in certain countries. A retailer in New Zealand actually said they won’t be getting any more. [CR1]</span></li>
<li><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-weight: normal;">1Ds Mark IV resolution correction, I’m told it will actually be 36mp.</span></li>
</ul>
<div>That’s it from today.</div>
<div><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong>

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
Furst!1one ;P

Sensor resolutions can be easily predicted from previous sensor pixel density. Ex. 8MP APS-C=21.1MP FF, 10MP APS-C=16MP APS-H, etc.

So 450D/1100D 12MP APS-C is around 31-32MP FF, 50D/500D 15MP APS-C is around 39MP FF, 7D/60D/600D/550D 18MP APS-C is around 46MP FF, etc.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Mark D5 TEAM II said:
Furst!1one ;P

Sensor resolutions can be easily predicted from previous sensor pixel density. Ex. 8MP APS-C=21.1MP FF, 10MP APS-C=16MP APS-H, etc.

So 450D/1100D 12MP APS-C is around 31-32MP FF, 50D/500D 15MP APS-C is around 39MP FF, 7D/60D/600D/550D 18MP APS-C is around 46MP FF, etc.

I suspect its due to technology and processes for masking a certain size photosite along with wiring layout. The masks merely need to be extended. That is gross over simplification of the work involved, but it still must help from a manufacturing starting point.

Of course, the 16MP 1DS MK II with its 7.2 um photosites was the first, followed by the 1D MK III, so occasionally there is something totally new. A drop from 6.4 to 4.7um is pretty drastic for Canon on a 1Ds, but its been over three years, so they should be ready.

Upvote 0
M

meinthai

CRAP! That throws a spanner in the works!

After assuming we wouldn't see a 5D III until Q1 2012 I was planning on buying a 5D II TOMORROW. I actually bought plane tickets to Bangkok to buy it! (no camera shops where i live)

Making a trip to Mongolia in 2 weeks and wanted to upgrade my 5D I. But if the announcement is 'imminent' I find my self overcome with indecisiveness :( If the III is coming out soon I can live with the I for the next month, but if it's coming out in 8 months......... Rats!

Mr Administrator. Do you see your self changing your buying advice from "buy" to "hold" based on this [CR1] rumour? As I'm getting a plane in 6 hours I'd really appreicate your thoughts.

What a funny world we live in ;D

Upvote 0
Either look to sell the Mark II soon (ish) or look to get a refund on the tickets...good luck. This is just a timing issue; there may be an announcement sometime later this month, or there may not be. The announcement will likely be keeping people salivating for months without any ability to buy the product until later.

I was thinking, however, that this is just about the exact right time for a 5D Mark II replacement to be in line with the lifespan of the original 5D before its replacement, down to the quarter (of a year).

Upvote 0
F

Flake

Why would anyone want 36MP? It's not a huge increase in terms of resolution, however the files are larger, meaning that there's less of them per GB, they take proportionatly longer to transfer to the PC longer to open & to apply PP. On top of that noise is generally worse, and with that dynamic range takes a hit too. Lens flaws are made even worse, processing in camera takes longer.

For me 25MP with better dynamic range (lower noise), a digic V processor with its greater power used to give more fps (3.9 just isn't quick enough).

If you need more MP then either buy a medium format (your work will obviously fund this) or if it's landscape the stitch two images together to acheive the same!

Upvote 0
J

J. McCabe

meinthai said:
CRAP! That throws a spanner in the works!

After assuming we wouldn't see a 5D III until Q1 2012 I was planning on buying a 5D II TOMORROW. I actually bought plane tickets to Bangkok to buy it! (no camera shops where i live)

One shouldn't make plans based on rumours. The 5Dmk3 wasn't even announced, and might take some time to become available after the announcement.

Upvote 0
quote author=Flake link=topic=1444.msg20198#msg20198 date=1312529755]
Why would anyone want 36MP? It's not a huge increase in terms of resolution, however the files are larger, meaning that there's less of them per GB, they take proportionatly longer to transfer to the PC longer to open & to apply PP. On top of that noise is generally worse, and with that dynamic range takes a hit too. Lens flaws are made even worse, processing in camera takes longer.

For me 25MP with better dynamic range (lower noise), a digic V processor with its greater power used to give more fps (3.9 just isn't quick enough).
If you need more MP then either buy a medium format (your work will obviously fund this) or if it's landscape the stitch two images together to acheive the same!
[/quote]

Sounds like someone urgently needs to consider upgrading their computer system, or at least parts of it.

I on the other hand want the highest mp count they can possibly cram into the beast, 65mp? Bring it on!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Mark D5 TEAM II said:
Furst!1one ;P

As maths aren't my strongest asset: What is the formula to calculate FF sensor sizes based on a APS-C cam? Thank you so much for your help. Looking forward to read more exciting rumored news about an "imminent" 5Diii announcement.

Regards, Pedro

Upvote 0
P

plam_1980

motorhead said:
Sounds like someone urgently needs to consider upgrading their computer system, or at least parts of it.

I on the other hand want the highest mp count they can possibly cram into the beast, 65mp? Bring it on!

So if they can cram the 120mp they announced last year, but all you see as a result is red dots, you will still buy that...

Upvote 0
F

Flake

motorhead said:
quote author=Flake link=topic=1444.msg20198#msg20198 date=1312529755]

[/quote]

Amazing! Only the other day you were decrying the noise & dynamic range of your current camera, and now you've done a complete 180 turn and decided that neither actually matter - nor image quality, all you want is high MP! Make your mind up because you can't have both!

As for my PC it's quad core 8GB running windows 7 I think it's powerful enough, the laptop is a Lenovo W700 again more than powerful enough.

Clearly you're an amature snapper who processes just a few images at a time for those of us needing to process a couple of hundred at a go, twice the file size makes a huge difference to the time it takes, and that's regardless of computer power.

Upvote 0
N

NXT1000

how much improvement in IQ for 36MB from 21MB, i wonder, i guess only a little. Noise might be more, therefore, i do not think it will be a big jump. If 5d3 share the same chip, no way i am going to spend more on the pro body. Canon waiting for nikon again? well let hope nikon delay until next year due to tsumani, i want my 5d2 to be top dog as long as possible. I hate the digital world, suddenly my camera is obselete.

Upvote 0
Its true I'm strictly an amateur, but why should I not want all the resolution I can get? Certainly DR is also important to me and I hope every photographer because its the one area where digital still lags behind film.

To put it into some kind of context, I want both and don't see why I should part with more cash than we spent on buying our first house and not get what I want. My camera fund is sat waiting but if Canon disappoint me then it can wait a bit longer.

Upvote 0
W

WarStreet

NXT1000 said:
how much improvement in IQ for 36MB from 21MB, i wonder, i guess only a little. Noise might be more, therefore, i do not think it will be a big jump. If 5d3 share the same chip, no way i am going to spend more on the pro body. Canon waiting for nikon again? well let hope nikon delay until next year due to tsumani, i want my 5d2 to be top dog as long as possible. I hate the digital world, suddenly my camera is obselete.

Without all this, your 5DII would cost $ 100,000. Thanks to technology improvement, we get better and cheaper toys, and your current camera will still continue to perform the same. I like the digital world, and for me it's never fast enough.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.