5D MK III or 6D MK II

Would you buy a 5D MK III for $2089 or a 6D MK II for the same price?

• 6DMK II, I want or need the new features

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • 5D MK III, has what I need

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • If a 6D MK II costs $2099, I'll get a Mark I

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • If a 6D MK II costs $1700, I'll bite.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 25, 2011
I'm curious as to what most CR readers who are considering a new budget Canon FF camera are thinking.

I saw a Craigslist item locally from someone trying to sell a used 5D MK III for $2400 and it got me thinking (Yes, I know $2400 is outrageous).

The current street price is $2089 for a new 5D MK III from a authorized dealer! Would you pay the same for a new 6D MK II?

Its seems unlikely that the 6D MK II will have the quality of construction, dual card slots and a lot of other high end features of the 5D MK III, but it will have features like Wi-fi, GPS, flip up LCD, Dual Pixel Sensor, and genuine plastic body. Which some users will see as useful. A few MP one way or the other would be insignificant, at least. in my opinion.

At the current price of $1200 street price for a 6D, there is a $700 differential, but a 6D MK II is rumored to cost the same as the MK I when it was introduced. ($2099)

What do you think?

The answer isn't easy because I do not know the specs of the 6D ii - especially the not so easy to explain "specs" in terms of overall image quality and exposure/AF quality. So I have to wait for more info about the 6D ii.

After checking full frame bodies by buying two 2nd hand 5D classic I am impressed about the IQ of that camera in comparison to my latest APS-C bodies (EOS M, 600D). And its ergonomic qualities - I like the illuminated AF points for their good visibility. Speed is sufficient for me.
The only IQ improvement I need is more DR for very contrasty scenes. The 11 bits/EV aren't enough in ca. 20% of my subjects - backlit scenes outdoors.

Upvote 0

hbr

Oct 22, 2016
This is a real dilemma for me. Do I want to spend 2 grand for a little more DR, tilty/flippy screen, a little better signal to noise ratio and a little bit better AF, (assuming that the rumored specs are close to being correct), or spend the same amount on the 5D III which would be a good compliment to my 7D II with better weather sealing, better AF, faster fps, etc?

What a tough decision. I can't afford to buy both. :(

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
At the same price, I'd weigh the pros and cons.

6D2 upsides:

• Sensor -- a big bump up in base ISO DR and surely slightly better high ISO performance
  • DPAF -- dramatically better AF performance in video and LiveView stills
  • Tilty-flippy
  • Wifi
  • GPS
  • Lighter
  • More sensitive center AF point
  • Anti-flicker
  • Possibly retains interchangeable focusing screen functionality like the 6D1
  • Possibly gets more f/8 AF points for teleconverter users

5D3 upsides:

• Better build quality
  • Very similar to the 1DX AF setup -- likely will track subjects better than the 6D2 (through the VF)
  • A staggering ecosystem of body specific accessories available on day one
  • More weight + a nearly perfect grip = slightly better for wielding heavier lenses
  • More AF points, more AF customization options
  • More custom functions
  • More I/O ports
  • A track record of retaining price better (5D3 vs 6D)

Possible things the 6D2 might get that the 5D3 has today (these may be the features that tip the scales to the OP's question):

• 1/8000 shutter
  • Two card slots
  • AF joystick
  • More buttons, slightly better button placement (DOF preview, MFn, etc.)
  • Headphone jack
  • 6 fps

I'm sure I forgot something, please set me straight.

Those who should get the 6D2 over the 5D3 at the same price: Most of us, I'd say. The on-chip ADC sensor hotness + DPAF + tilty-flippy + more f/8 points is a comprehensively attractive set of new features for a host of types of photographers. The sensor alone (in this case especially so, not always with these decisions) will be a massive differentiator.

Those who should get the 5D3 over the 6D2 at the same price:

• People often needing to track moving objects through the VF
  • Those who can't wait for ACR profiles, accessories, etc. or need to bolt on a body-specific L-Plate, gimbal, etc. on day one
  • Those who treat their gear roughly and need a tough build

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
DomTomLondon said:
I very much doubt that the 6D2 will get better AF performance then the 5D3.
Perhaps in live view mode. But that doesn't really help for anything other than studio work, And then you might as well just use MF anyway.

Agree through the VF. The 5D3 AF will be generally better except for the -3 EV (or who knows, -4 EV this time?) center point, which is nice for concert / nighttime work, and the (probable) extra f/8 points to use a teleconverter. So, yes, in general use for most folks, the 5D3 will have better AF through the VF.

But not 'perhaps' better for the 6D2 in LiveView mode. The 6D2 will be a hammerlock certainty to mop the floor with the 5D3 in LiveView. It will not be close. 5D3 LiveView AF work requires clunkily lining up a target box with your subject using the joystick and then waiting for the AF to arrive like the train that never comes. DPAF is touch and boom.

And LiveView AF (in general) is more helpful than you think:

• It's a video game-changer for those who don't want to have to master MF lens work, isn't it?

• Tilty-flippy + DPAF allows you to shoot over your head (over crowds) and both frame the shot and even selectively focus with small DOF. As a 5D3 owner, without an external monitor, neither is possible without a lot of patience and luck -- you often resort to stopping the lens down quite a bit and hitting and hoping. So tilty-flippy + DPAF should be pretty huge for photojournos, concert goers, press photogs, etc. who haven't had that option in a FF rig yet.

• I don't do this personally, but I believe some folks here actually have shot wildlife with the DPAF + touch combo. It apparently even tracks well.

- A

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
The main issues for me with the 5DMKIII are the fact it feels its age now compared to newer cameras. The speed of operation, the viewfinder II etc compared to my 7DMKII it does feel old and they are the little features that make the day to day use of the camera more enjoyable when you use it everyday.

The other things are the banding and colour noise from the 5DMKIII which arent apparent in the newer sensors or to a lesser extent the current 6D.

I had my 5DMKIII for 4-5 years and unfortunately it was stolen. Loved every minute with it and got some incredible imagery. It also went through some abuse - it was dropped in a river, been in yellow weather warning shooting motorsport (and actually gave up after about 8 hours, wrapped it up in a towel and it booted back up the next morning) so many weddings I cant recall, round the world, desserts, tropical rainforests, went through 3 shutters etc etc never missed a beat apart from that one time above. So basically it got well used and abused and never kicked up a fuss. Trim was warn, paint was very warn, and the mode dial was missing its selector dial.

Sorely missed but onto what next...

Cant decide what to buy. I dont need 50mp of the DSr or the editing headaches it brings. The 5DMKIV runs around £3349, £1349 more than a new 5DMKIII at £1999 and a well loved preowned 5DMKIII (30k actuation) is around £1400 £6-700 cheaper again.

Although the 5DMKIV has all the features above making the day to day operation more enjoyable and the technology advancements that the 5DMKIII lacks and more with higher resolution and better DR the differences are not worth 75% more at the moment. The banding and colour noise can also be avoided with good technique, bracketing and post processing.

When the 6DMKII comes out it will undoubtedly replace the MKIII like the 6D replaced the 5DMKII. But there will be some features that the 5D crowd will be used to that wont be in the 6DMKII which will make buying difficult.

Its a tough one. There isnt really a great option currently and im leaning closer and closer to just buying a well loved 5DMKIII. Financially its not a big deal its just more value for money the 5DMKIV is a stellar camera but the 5DMKIII does 95% the same and just think that there may be a fairly hefty price reduction soon making it much more attractive.

Other camera makers directions are intriguing too if I wasnt so invested in canon I would certainly give some other options a go. I love canons aftercare nothing competes with it and the glass is gorgeous, I just wish they would push the boundary a little more. Dont get me wrong the 5DMKIV is great but I cant help but feel it could have been better, although 5 years later it feels like Canon is being blase with the user base that everyone with a MKIII will just jump on board. I have nothing to back up my thoughts but I dont know if this is the case. Many of my fellow local wedding photographers haven't seen the benefit of upgrading other than to replace warn out cameras rather than lusting after them.

When I bought the 5DMKIII I was confident it would last me 5 years but I cant honestly say the same for the IV. There is a lot of innovation and change of direction in the market which could see canons 5 year upgrade timescale into flux.

The A9 for example is probably going to be more a prosumer camera than a pro camera but what they are doing is very interesting.

Time will tell. Canon will do its own thing regardless of what anyone else is doing which has its benefits but also its drawbacks.

Im documenting a 4000 mile road trip for Porsche post on the 18th of June so need to make a decision fairly quickly so that means I cant wait to see what the 6DMKII does to the market. We may see even better deals on 5DMKIIIs new and pre owned and the 6DMKII may bring the 5DMKIV price down by £4-500 like the MKIII did in October 2013 18 months after it was released.

One thing is interesting that not one person has thought that the 6D could be the test ground for a new hybrid mirrorless in a DSLR body that has been rumored. That could be interesting, a 5DMKIII esk camera with some newer technology.

That could be a camera I would be intrigued to play with although I call myself 'an old school shooter' im ready to try some new tech.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
tomscott said:
The main issues for me with the 5DMKIII are the fact it feels its age now compared to newer cameras...

Interesting post, appreciated. A few thoughts in response:

1) I rarely have regularly felt handcuffed by the limits of my 5D3 nearly so much as the limits of my own ability. Some of my work is here, and as you'll see, I'm clearly an amateur. Put another way, I don't live at ISO 8000+, I don't shoot blindingly fast action, I don't depend on my camera for my livelihood, etc. Sure, I'd love 2 more stops DR for more-difficult-to-capture shots, and I'd love to have more latitude in my files. But I need to become a better photographer far far far more than I need 5% more horsepower with the rig I use. So I'm sitting on my 5D3 this cycle (didn't get a 5D4, won't get a 6D2) and I haven't lost a wink of sleep over it.

2) For your tough decision, I'd 100% rent a 6D2 and 5D4 for a weekend of shooting and see just how much you'll be missing out of the 5D4's pro feature set. Unless you are an eight-menu-levels-deep technician in the studio, I'll think you may find the tilty-flippy of greater value than (say) DPRAW or some nice tethering option that the 6D2 doesn't get. It's entirely possible that 6 MP, 1 more fps and a few more bells and whistles aren't of such great import to you to pony up the huge cost for the 5D4.

3) The 5D3 may feel dated but it doesn't seem to be impacting the images it is taking. See attached from the WPP winners this year. Granted, the 5D4 wasn't out long at all when this was posted (Feb of this year), but people are still reeling in phenomenal images with it.

Cheers

- A

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 8.58.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 8.58.00 AM.png
    223.8 KB · Views: 2,132
Upvote 0

hbr

Oct 22, 2016
  • ahsanford said:
    6D2 upsides:

• Sensor -- a big bump up in base ISO DR and surely slightly better high ISO performance
    This is probably the biggest factor in my decision. Cleaner output, (less noise and better DR).
    • DPAF -- dramatically better AF performance in video and LiveView stills
    Not too important for me as 98% of my shots are hand held looking through the OVF
    • Tilty-flippy
    I used to have no use for this feature, but once I had to lie down on the ground to get the shot that I wanted and wouldn't you know I lay down on top of an ants nest and nearly got eaten alive. I learned a good lesson there. Also at my age, I am afraid that once I get down, I may not be able to get up. So now I want this.
    • Wifi
    I have used this on occasion.
    • GPS
    Same as above.
    • Lighter
    Getting more important every day.
    • More sensitive center AF point
    Yes
    • Anti-flicker
    Yes
    • Possibly retains interchangeable focusing screen functionality like the 6D1
    Not important to me.
    • Possibly gets more f/8 AF points for teleconverter users
    Heck Yes. The second most important feature I want.

Possible things the 6D2 might get that the 5D3 has today (these may be the features that tip the scales to the OP's question):

• 1/8000 shutter
    I hope so.
    • Two card slots
    Canon should add this, but probably won't. Would be nice, but not essential.
    • AF joystick
    Don't think this is going to happen.
    • More buttons, slightly better button placement (DOF preview, MFn, etc.)
    • Headphone jack
    I hope so, but I don't shoot video, so not important to me.
    • 6 fps
    Sufficient for my style of shooting.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
ahsanford said:
Also, anyone have a read on whether the 6D2 will allow use of the touchscreen (in closed down position while you use the VF) to select AF points like the 5D4?

5D4 owners: what do you use more for AF point selection? The joystick or the touchscreen?

- A

Not a 5DIV user, but on my 5Ds I have them set to use the rear wheel to control AF point in a loop. Prefer this to the joystick which I find awkward to go diagonally. ( This means that to use EC or aperture I have to press the AF top rear button whilst using the front command wheel - basically like a Rebel).

However, the 6D doesn't allow you to do this, and even if it did the appalling tangibility of the rear command wheel on that camera wouldn't encourage me to use it. Why-oh-why is the rear wheel on a 60D smooth and "clicky", and on the 6D it is crap ?

tomscott said:
When the 6DMKII comes out it will undoubtedly replace the MKIII like the 6D replaced the 5DMKII.

I'm not sure that it ever did really. I ran a 6D and 5DII together for a couple of years, sold the 6D and kept the 5DII.

I think you are going to have to stump up the cash for a 5DIV Tom :(

Upvote 0