5D Mk4, 6D Mk2, 7D Mk2, 80D and 5D Mk 3 compared for Wildlife photography

Just posted a side by side comparison of what it is like to use the 5D Mk4, the 6D Mk2, the 7D Mk2, the 80D and the 5D Mk 3 for wildlife photography: https://www.grantatkinson.com/blog/6d-mark-ii-5d-mark-iv-7d-mark-ii-or-80d-which-mid-range-canon-dslr-for-wildlife-photography
The aim of the post is not to declare an overall winner but rather to share what my wife and i perceive to be the different cameras strengths and weaknesses, for our kind of wildlife photography. With that group of cameras, the 5D Mk4, 7D Mk2 and 5D Mk3 are all similar in their control layout, in their viewfinder autofocus, their dedicated AF multi-controllers, and their grip size. The 6D Mark 2 and 80D are smaller in the hand, and have reduced size and controls, but make a strong case for themselves with their swivel-tilt screens and their image quality.

We get asked questions often by Canon users about these five cameras, so are hoping that the post provides some useful information.
Cheers
Grant

Jan 29, 2011
I'll go read it now Grant, though I have no interest in any of the cameras if your write up is anything like your previous ones it will a very valuable hands on resource that all of us can get something from. Really appreciated your various reviews and videos in the past, especially the AF set up ones, thanks for the link.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
I'll go read it now Grant, though I have no interest in any of the cameras if your write up is anything like your previous ones it will a very valuable hands on resource that all of us can get something from. Really appreciated your various reviews and videos in the past, especially the AF set up ones, thanks for the link.
Thanks for those kind words PrivateByDesign, really appreciate that :)
It was more difficult than usual to write, what with having to write out five different Canon camera names what felt like a million times, but hopefully many Canon readers will find something there of interest or that will start some discussion, or share and add new information to the post themselves that i may have omitted
Cheers
Grant

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Grant, a superb comparison - but we expect no less from you! It's very useful.

I have worked my way through a 7DII and 5DIII, and now use a 5DIV and 5DSR, with 100-400mm II and 400mm DO II for nature and birds, as you frequently do. My view on image quality may be somewhat different because I use DxO PL as RAW converter. It cleans up noise, especially on the 5DSR, far, far better than Adobe or other software, and I can use iso6400 with the 5DSR. My favourite body is the 5DSR because its resolution is like using the 5DIV with a 1.4xTC added. It's lag is worse than the 5DIV but its AF seems just as good. It can be annoyingly slow for bursts but for static shots it is just so good.

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
Grant, a superb comparison - but we expect no less from you! It's very useful.

I have worked my way through a 7DII and 5DIII, and now use a 5DIV and 5DSR, with 100-400mm II and 400mm DO II for nature and birds, as you frequently do. My view on image quality may be somewhat different because I use DxO PL as RAW converter. It cleans up noise, especially on the 5DSR, far, far better than Adobe or other software, and I can use iso6400 with the 5DSR. My favourite body is the 5DSR because its resolution is like using the 5DIV with a 1.4xTC added. It's lag is worse than the 5DIV but its AF seems just as good. It can be annoyingly slow for bursts but for static shots it is just so good.
Thanks Alan
I thought of including the 5DSR as I do sometimes use one (but dont own one)but then thought the post might get even longer :) it is a good thing you mention it here. For sure it is still another option, and with better pixel level image quality than a 7D Mk 2 which which is has a similar pixel density. I also found that the times I used the 5D SR that I really liked the images that I got with it and i found the autofocus to be very good. I think having the 5DSR and the 5D mk4 like you do is a nice combination and one of the things that I do enjoy about the diversity of the mid-range Canon bodies...you can get different things in terms of the image size/cropping leeway, all from camera bodies that are easy to shoot side by side, share batteries etc

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
I agree, that was a good read especially the second half. Not just about the cameras but Iots of little nuggets of setup and real world usage info and of course cracking images!

Hope you don't mind me saying but there are a couple typos that you may wish to tidy up though...
80D Autofocus image title is wrong
3. 5D Mark 6
6D Mark ? body (reliability)

Regards

Upvote 0
zim said:
I agree, that was a good read especially the second half. Not just about the cameras but Iots of little nuggets of setup and real world usage info and of course cracking images!

Hope you don't mind me saying but there are a couple typos that you may wish to tidy up though...
3. 5D Mark 6

Regards
Hi Zim, thanks for the feedback and also for pointing out those errors, i will get them fixed :), really appreciate you taking the time to let me know.
Cheers
Grant

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Grant Atkinson said:
zim said:

3. 5D Mark 6

Regards
Hi Zim, thanks for the feedback and also for pointing out those errors, i will get them fixed :), really appreciate you taking the time to let me know.
Cheers
Grant

My pleasure, at least you know I actually read it ! ;D
Regards

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Don Haines said:
Great article. And, as usual, I learned new things from it, such as the metering lock on the 6D2.....

I use the touchscreen so much for settings that I can't get myself to learn what the little buttons do. Some of that may be my coming from a Rebel background, where I didn't have all those little buttons.

I still need to practice a lot with the camera so that more controls are in my repertoire. The AE and AF work so well that I get things right (or close enough) in the first try, so I don't do as much fiddling as I need to in order to learn things I might need to know some time.

Upvote 0
stevelee said:
Don Haines said:
Great article. And, as usual, I learned new things from it, such as the metering lock on the 6D2.....

I use the touchscreen so much for settings that I can't get myself to learn what the little buttons do. Some of that may be my coming from a Rebel background, where I didn't have all those little buttons.

I still need to practice a lot with the camera so that more controls are in my repertoire. The AE and AF work so well that I get things right (or close enough) in the first try, so I don't do as much fiddling as I need to in order to learn things I might need to know some time.

All those little buttons on top can be set to be seen in the viewfinder, once you learn them all by feel you can quickly change them on the fly with the dial wheel without needing to pull your eye away from the viewfinder to use the touch screen; it's much faster this way.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
I'd like to add my thanks too Grant. I've only had time to skim read your article so far but I've already found some interesting things in it and I will read it properly as soon as I have a chance. I do like reading about your hands on experience with the various cameras and the way you set them up - plus there are some fantastic photos.

I noted your comments about the lack of an AF joystick on the 6DII and 80D. That alone was almost enough to make me to spring for a 5DIV (not that that is the 5DIV's only advantage of course), but I ended up going with the 6DII. One thing I've recently been trying is tapping the M.Fn button once and then you using the wheel near the shutter button and the rear dial to set the AF point - an idea I picked up from another CR member (thanks @tomscott!). It's a little annoying having to tap the M.Fn button first, but otherwise it is reasonably quick (although I need to develop the muscle memory for it yet) and I think it's a bit more comfortable than getting my thumb down to the eight way controller. Have you ever tried that AF point selection method?

Lastly, at the risk of going off topic, I noted a couple of photos in your post were taken with the 24-70 f/4L IS. Any reason you use it rather than a 24-70 f/2.8L II? I have the f/4L IS and I do think it's a good lens (especially for long hikes and other travel), and I have a couple of primes in that focal range for when I want faster apertures. Even so though, I get tempted by the 24-70 f/2.8L II from time to time. Just curious why you use the f/4 L IS, given the reputation of the 2.8L II. Given the other lenses you are carrying, it cannot be size/weight! :)

Upvote 0
jd7 said:
I'd like to add my thanks too Grant. I've only had time to skim read your article so far but I've already found some interesting things in it and I will read it properly as soon as I have a chance. I do like reading about your hands on experience with the various cameras and the way you set them up - plus there are some fantastic photos.

I noted your comments about the lack of an AF joystick on the 6DII and 80D. That alone was almost enough to make me to spring for a 5DIV (not that that is the 5DIV's only advantage of course), but I ended up going with the 6DII. One thing I've recently been trying is tapping the M.Fn button once and then you using the wheel near the shutter button and the rear dial to set the AF point - an idea I picked up from another CR member (thanks @tomscott!). It's a little annoying having to tap the M.Fn button first, but otherwise it is reasonably quick (although I need to develop the muscle memory for it yet) and I think it's a bit more comfortable than getting my thumb down to the eight way controller. Have you ever tried that AF point selection method?

Lastly, at the risk of going off topic, I noted a couple of photos in your post were taken with the 24-70 f/4L IS. Any reason you use it rather than a 24-70 f/2.8L II? I have the f/4L IS and I do think it's a good lens (especially for long hikes and other travel), and I have a couple of primes in that focal range for when I want faster apertures. Even so though, I get tempted by the 24-70 f/2.8L II from time to time. Just curious why you use the f/4 L IS, given the reputation of the 2.8L II. Given the other lenses you are carrying, it cannot be size/weight! :)
Hi JD, thanks for the feedback, always appreciated. I do know about the dial turning method of moving the focus point around on the 6D Mark 2 and the 80D, and in fact you can do it on any Canon camera with two dials, but i find it very awkward to remember to use that method on one body then have a different method (on the 1DX, 5D4, 7D2 etc) when I pick up one of those bodies, specially when shooting them side by side which I do often :). Sometimes it can also happen that you don't press the M.Fn button far enough to activate it (by accident) and then I end up spinning the aperture the wrong way :)
About the 24-70f4L IS, you nailed the reason that I carry it - although it is precisely because of the other lenses that i carry and how heavy they are, that i have to try cut weight somewhere - normally on any given trip i will take ONE big tele (400DO f4 IS ii OR 500f4 IS ii) and a mid range zoom (100-400 IS ii OR 70-200 f2.8 IS ii) and then just one wide angle. I would like the extra sharpness of the f2.8 version of the 24-70 but I am happy enough with the results that i get from the f4 IS. So for now it is doing the job. :)
Cheers
Grant

Upvote 0
Talys said:
Grant,

Thanks very much for the article! I really enjoyed reading it. There is a minor typo in the ranking of DPAF for stills, where you refer to the 5D Mark 6 :)

The detail you go into with respect to things like exposure and autofocus is great.
Hey Talys
Thanks so much for the feedback, i really appreciate it. And thank for telling me about the typo with 5D Mark 6, don't we wish that was for real :). Zim actually pointed that out to me with two other typos, and i spent ages trying to find the 5D Mark 6 one but couldnt - but not i can fix it.
Autofocus is one of the biggest performance features for us, so I do tend to go on a bit about it :). As are controls that can be activated with minimal chance of messing up other settings inadvertantly etc
I have also been enjoying your recent posts on the forum here with interesting detail about the Sony shooting experience.
Cheers
Grant

Upvote 0
jd7 said:

You and Tom Scott bringing up the dial method of changing the focus point reminded me that was the only way to change the focus point position in the viewfinder grid on the EOS 1D Mark 2 and EOS 1D Mark 2 N, as they where not fitted with dedicated AF multi-controllers. The rear command dial moved the AF point vertically and the front dial (beside the shutter) moved it horizontally if i recall properly. The EOS 10D used the same method but the dedicated AF multi-controllers came out on the 1D Mark 3, and the 20D bodies and made it easier..I thought. When using that system of changing the AF point with a command dial on those cameras with many focus points, i found it can save time to reduce the number of points in the viewfinder so that there are not so many to step across so long as you still have enough coverage :)
Cheers
Grant

Upvote 0