5Ds + lenses changeover

For the second time in my life, I'm quitting sports photography for good. I've quit before, so I can certainly quit again.

Anyways, I'm selling both 1Dx's, my 300 f/2.8L I IS, and 400 f/2.8L I IS and purchasing a 5Ds and a 300 f/2.8L II IS. My goal is to keep the 24-70 f/2.8L II and 70-200 f/2.8L II IS and build my lens arsenal to fully enjoy the 5Ds's sensor. I might pick up a 5D4 when it's released depending on specs. I'd also like to add maybe the 16-35 f/2.8L III, and work on a 600 later (as funds become available).

Anyways, just letting all my friends on here know that I'm leaving the sports world and I look forward to enjoying shooting everything else and actually enjoy photography vs. a job. I'm looking forward to "shooting with" all the future fellow 5Ds/R owners!

:)

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi bdunbar.
Wow, that is a big change, I hope the cause of this is your choice and not any other reason. If you are heading towards a 600 at some point would it not pay to hang on to the 400 for a while? Cropped on a 5DS the 400 should look like a 600 on the 1DX shouldn't it?
I just wondering how this can be the second time of quitting sports photography for good, :) or is that a for good this time.
Good luck with your change in direction.

Cheers, Graham.

bdunbar79 said:
For the second time in my life, I'm quitting sports photography for good. I've quit before, so I can certainly quit again.

Anyways, I'm selling both 1Dx's, my 300 f/2.8L I IS, and 400 f/2.8L I IS and purchasing a 5Ds and a 300 f/2.8L II IS. My goal is to keep the 24-70 f/2.8L II and 70-200 f/2.8L II IS and build my lens arsenal to fully enjoy the 5Ds's sensor. I might pick up a 5D4 when it's released depending on specs. I'd also like to add maybe the 16-35 f/2.8L III, and work on a 600 later (as funds become available).

Anyways, just letting all my friends on here know that I'm leaving the sports world and I look forward to enjoying shooting everything else and actually enjoy photography vs. a job. I'm looking forward to "shooting with" all the future fellow 5Ds/R owners!

:)

Upvote 0
Strictly by choice. I just don't have the energy anymore and it did take a lot out of me this past spring. I don't enjoy photography anymore because being a sports photographer is demanding and you have to get certain shots, etc. I had no time to do photography for fun, which I want to do now. I tried to quit in 2014 but my wife talked me into doing it for awhile again because of the extra money. But the money no longer is worth it.

I hear you on the 400. However, I want to sell it to save funds for later lenses because I really would rather have a 600mm f/4L II IS with my 5Ds (future thought). I'm still going to keep everything else including all my 600EX-RT speed lites, etc.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Welcome to the wonderful world of the 5DS. I bought mine back last September and was unsure how it would handle given the reports of increased risk of image shake however in reality Ive adjusted to slightly faster shutters speeds or slightly increased ISO (I shoot mainly landscape and try to keep the ISO at 100 or 200, and use a tripod)

With a photography safari to South Africa, various trips to Dartmoor & Cornwall under my belt the camera is little different to use than my 6D. I don't stop to think about using it hand-held and Im over the moon with the images you can get when I get everything right.
Images with the EF16-35mm f4L IS USM are outstanding, so are those with the EF70-200mm f2.8L IS USM II and the EF100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM II. The EF24-70mm f4L IS USM is not great with this camera beyond 60mm in fact I would say the EF24-105mm f4L IS USM is better at the longer end. The EF100mm f2.8L IS USM is another outstanding lens with this camera & even the nifty fifty STM. You will notice the camera gives better colour reproduction and the metering system is more accurate than the 5D MKIII.
Happy shooting.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Congrats on the change. Change is good. I "retired" from managing a 20-person public information office in 2014. I've been smiling ever since. I love not having to worry about motivating or supervising anyone but myself.

Over the last year, I've actually been doing a lot of sports photography for a small college and loving it. (Not my only client). I'm at the stage where I enjoy the challenge of delivering great action shots of an event, but I can certainly understand that perspectives change over time and there is no question, it can be a high pressure responsibility.

Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Upvote 0