60D better sensor than the 7D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

unexposure

unexposure said:
Addition to my previous post:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM using this comparometer, you can compare several images taken under the same conditions. My impression is, that in words of detail-preservance at given noise is (C-60D?)>C-550D>C-7D>N-D90>C-50D
The guys at imaging-resource.com and my guess to statement above were pretty right. I just got a mail from canon-support, regarding the sensor of the 60D:

Translation (in my bad english) goes here:
"The sensor of the EOS 60D is indeed a reengineering of the EOS 550D sensor. It is more light-sensitive and uses the same improved filters as used infront of the EOS 7D sensor. Taking this into account, noise-ratio and light-sensivity should be slightly better than in EOS 550D"

Upvote 0
U

unexposure

Jan said:
wuschba said:
Year thanks very much. If it's true that would give one point plus for the 60D in my eyes compared to the 7D.
Well, even IF the 60D's sensor was slightly more sensitive than the 7D's you won't probably see the difference. So this is not a point to make a decision whether to buy a 60D or 7D in my opinion.
Let me guess, you didn't even checked the link to imaging-ressource.com i postet, right?
Just go there, get yourself the raw-files provided and compare them. There's already a pretty noticable difference in noise-levels made by this pre-production 60D when compared to the T2i.

Upvote 0
unexposure said:
Jan said:
wuschba said:
Year thanks very much. If it's true that would give one point plus for the 60D in my eyes compared to the 7D.
Well, even IF the 60D's sensor was slightly more sensitive than the 7D's you won't probably see the difference. So this is not a point to make a decision whether to buy a 60D or 7D in my opinion.
Let me guess, you didn't even checked the link to imaging-ressource.com i postet, right?
Just go there, get yourself the raw-files provided and compare them. There's already a pretty noticable difference in noise-levels made by this pre-production 60D when compared to the T2i.

I'm sorry, but couldn't find the EOS 60D in the comperator...

Upvote 0
Edwin Herdman said:
It's worth mentioning that the T2i preproduction model scored about 50 points higher on DxOMark for ISO than the production model. That said this does sound promising, especially if the difference is visible (we don't have access to the DxO RAWs so it's taking them on faith that the preproduction T2i had better ISO).
Why does this sound promising, when a preproduction model is better than a production model?

By the way: I don't understand how the points are calculated. When you look at the SNR 18% chart, comparing 550D pp and 550D you can clearly see that there is absolutely no difference.

Upvote 0
U

unexposure

Jan said:
I'm sorry, but couldn't find the EOS 60D in the comperator...
Sorry, I didn't want to sound rude.

Here's the Link for 60D Images http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E60D/E60DGALLERY.HTM
Here the one for T2i Images http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/T2I/T2IGALLERY.HTM

You have to scroll down a bit. The pics to compare are the ones taken in the ancient looking room. Beneath the preview pics (click em to see the full-size jpg) are the links to the raw-files (.cr2).

Upvote 0
E

Edwin Herdman

Jan said:
Edwin Herdman said:
It's worth mentioning that the T2i preproduction model scored about 50 points higher on DxOMark for ISO than the production model. That said this does sound promising, especially if the difference is visible (we don't have access to the DxO RAWs so it's taking them on faith that the preproduction T2i had better ISO).
Why does this sound promising, when a preproduction model is better than a production model?
I missed a comma in there. It should say:

"That said, this does sound promising, especially [...]"

By the way: I don't understand how the points are calculated. When you look at the SNR 18% chart, comparing 550D pp and 550D you can clearly see that there is absolutely no difference.
Not sure what you mean. When you look at the SNR 18% chart for the T2i, look at both cameras' ISO 12800 points - for the T2i preproduction they measured 9531 in actuality, for a SNR of 19.4 dB; the measured ISO of the production model has a value of ISO 10,222 for the same point, for a slightly lower SNR of 19.1 dB. At the low end of the ISO scale the situation is reversed.

Additional: For an explanation how they come to their ISO sensitivity rankings, look here.

Upvote 0
E

Edwin Herdman

Missed this up to now, a quote from this page:

The Canon rep we spoke with claims they've narrowed the space between the micro lenses on the 60D's image sensor to create "gapless microlenses" which absorb more light and help reduce noise. While we can't give a verdict on image quality since it was a pre-production camera we were testing, we can say the 60D fared a lot better than expected at ISO 1600-3200. (See some examples of images we shot on the next page.)

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
Edwin Herdman said:

The Canon rep we spoke with claims they've narrowed the space between the micro lenses on the 60D's image sensor to create "gapless microlenses" which absorb more light and help reduce noise. While we can't give a verdict on image quality since it was a pre-production camera we were testing, we can say the 60D fared a lot better than expected at ISO 1600-3200. (See some examples of images we shot on the next page.)
Something is fishy here. The 7D is already a gapless micro lens set up.

Upvote 0
Rocky said:
Edwin Herdman said:

Yap, exactly. Even the 550D's sensors has gapless microlenses, I think.

Upvote 0
U

unexposure

Jan said:
Rocky said:
Edwin Herdman said:

Yap, exactly. Even the 550D's sensors has gapless microlenses, I think.
Just to clarify this:
550D same as 7D and 60D all have gapless microlens architecture. The difference (as i understood it) is: The (lowpass)filters attached to the sensor is a minor version used for 550D/t2i and a better one in 7D. 60D however uses the same Filter-solution used in 7D but uses tight to "gapless" sticking (is this the right word?) to the sensor, which itself is an improved 550D-Sensor, regarding light-sensivity.
As conclusion: In theory, 60D-Sensor (in whole) should perform better regarding noise and general performance than 7D and 550D should.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.