6D- An amateur's review

I bought a 6D based on the recommendation of everyone here, and hence I think I owe everyone a review based on it, which I believe people upgrading from a Rebel model would appreciate. I myself upgraded from a 550D, so I guess I would have a similar idea of what people are looking for. I'm not aiming for a scientific journal, but rather more of experience relating, so please don't flame me for stuff you don't agree on.

1) Ergonomics and size:
This is highly rated by everyone, so I would give my point of view. I find it a lot bigger. MUCH BIGGER. Heavier too. My fingers used to wrap around the grip completely, but now I'm quite sure I don't reach the end of it. However, I guess it depends on individuals.

2) Layout:
It's quite different from my 550D, it takes quite a bit of learning. For example, learning all over again how to take bracketed shots and long exposure shots is a pain. However, I like how aperture has a dedicated button. I would expect ISO to have one too. It requires you to press the middle button among five buttons (there is a little bump on it so you will be able to know without looking) without spinning the dial, so it's slightly troublesome. I will prefer something like Nikon's mechanism, with two dials.

3) Image Quality:
Now, this is the best part. Image quality is AWESOME. It's such a big upgrade from my 550D, I can't get back to using it anymore. The details captured are awesome, with a sharpness that I can never get from my 550D. I used the same lens for both camera, and the effect is just extraordinary, with just a change of camera. (Tamron 28-75mm F2.8) It has a soft feeling, where my 550D would have been quite harsh with background but with very sharp lines, hence the image is distinct with a certain dreamy feeling. Bokeh effect is even stronger and more pleasant. It's much better for both portrait and landscape shots compared to 550D. Cropping a photo is ABSOLUTELY fine too. It's awesome how much detail you can extract from a shot!

4) Shooting speed:
Upgrading from a 550D, this is another big plus. It's able to take more than 20 RAW images continuously without buffering, and I don't think adding another frame in one second would matter much to me. However, I'm not heavily into sports shots, so that might explain it.

5) Flash:
Now this is something I miss quite a bit. I would prefer to have even a built in flash at times, but I guess it pushed me to get an external flash. However, it means extra weight and space. Boohoo. =<

6) Wi-fi and GPS:
Not too big fan of this. I take photos for trips and own pleasure, so I don't really use such options frequently.

7) ISO:
I decided to separate this from image quality, as I think it deserves a corner of its own! ISO was such a pain in the bottom when I was using the 550D: nothing acceptable beyond 1600! However, this totally changed my game. ISO6400 is now a common thing, with slight noise within it that is considerably unnoticeable. With a little photoshop, nothing's impossible! It makes me much more comfortable of using aperture values around F8-11 at anytime, anyplace. It also means I am now becoming a manipulator of light! Awesome!

8) Autofocus:
I don't do much of fast-paced stuff, so I haven't really pushed it to its limits. However, I have always been using the center point as autofocus point, so that might explain it too. Anyway, I have developed the habit of locking onto the subject first using the middle point then move away, so auto-focus has not been much of an issue. However, at times when I accidentally changed the auto-focus points, it does seem to not work as well (Accidentally? You're bound to have that mistake when you upgrade from a Rebel!) However, the center point is an awesome focus point: it really focuses in the dark as advertised! Accurately!

Verdict?
I love being in the full-frame family. Image quality is awesome. Those who said that 6D is just a full-frame Rebel with no difference in image quality should try it. My friends described me being poisoned by it, and they too now have been poisoned by it! Trust me, constantly observing photos produced by my 550D and now looking at my 6D, I am a happy man. I do not know about D610's image quality nor have I tried it out, so it's a hard comparison for me, but as an upgrade, definitely not regretting it. It expands the arsenal of my shots and skills. I hereby declare that for me, equipment does make a difference.

Thanks for your review. I also moved from the T3i to the 6D and am very happy!

I have heard how much better the 5DIII is but I could not justify spending the extra $1K for what I would get, especially since I am not making money with it now. After reading Justin Abbotts review I decided that the 6D was the better option for me.

I found that ISO 800 was the limit in the T3i, but use 3200 in the 6D with good photos. I shot an event without flash and posted it athttp://www.pbase.com/collink/art__soul] [url]http://www.pbase.com/collink/art__soul [/url] for examples of what the 6D can do in low light.

The autofocus is one area that folks have complained about. I am used to setting on one-shot and using the center point and recomposing on the T3i. On the 6D I find that rather than holding the focus it will refocus. I have gotten used to using the other points. Since I am primarily landscape/architecture this has not been a problem. I have taken good shots of go-cart racing in bright sunlight, but had to frame wide and crop.

I agree with the image quality. The amount of detail moving from the APS-C to full frame sensor is amazing. I also notice that I get much more flexibility in cropping.

The 6D is not the 5DIII. If you are not taking indoor sports then it is a better value.

Upvote 0
Btw I find Dustin's review balanced and helpful for us regular joes. Clearly there are many who got deep pockets but I am not one of them, unfortunately. So I do appreciate any affordable way to achieve decent result. My best purchase for the year was the 6d and the sigma 35 art, which I think are more sensible than their more expensive counterparts.

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2013
abcde12345 said:
1) Ergonomics and size:
This is highly rated by everyone, so I would give my point of view. I find it a lot bigger. MUCH BIGGER. Heavier too. My fingers used to wrap around the grip completely, but now I'm quite sure I don't reach the end of it. However, I guess it depends on individuals.

Do not worry about this. In about a month or two you will get used to 6D's size and weight.

(And when you will take 550D in your hands again, you will be smiling at how small and light it is and wonder "how people can hold this thing steadily, or see anything at all in its toy viewfinder?") :)

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2012
I went from 60D to 6D and found the size/ergonomic/layout change not too drastic. Neither camera feels as bulky or solid as my 40D. IQ and high ISO performance are of course very much better in the 6D. WA capability of FF is worlds apart from crop. The 60D didn't suddenly start taking bad photos, though; it will be modified for astro work and the already modded 40D sold to pay for the modification. I'm no fan of the deer in the headlights look of on camera flash so that wasn't important to me, though powered down for fill it could be handy. The more I use the wifi the more I like it. Used with a tablet it's better than having the articulating LCD of the 60D (a 60D feature I really like and use extensively). I haven't had occasion to use GPS so can't comment. AF is at least as good as the 60D, better if you consider AFMA. The extensive menu feature set of the 6D is impressive. I expect this camera will meet this hobbyist's needs for many years. I've used a T3i, IMO the 6D is a major change from that with respect to size, layout, ergo and feature set. Thinking back to my film days and cameras I've had, I'd rate the relationship between 60D/6D similar to that of Pentax ME Super / Nikon F2 Photomic.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2012
Casey said:
Thanks for your review. I also moved from the T3i to the 6D and am very happy!

I have heard how much better the 5DIII is but I could not justify spending the extra $1K for what I would get, especially since I am not making money with it now. After reading Justin Abbotts review I decided that the 6D was the better option for me.

I found that ISO 800 was the limit in the T3i, but use 3200 in the 6D with good photos. I shot an event without flash and posted it at [url]http://www.pbase.com/collink/art__soul]http://www.pbase.com/collink/art__soul] [url]http://www.pbase.com/collink/art__soul [/url] for examples of what the 6D can do in low light.

The autofocus is one area that folks have complained about. I am used to setting on one-shot and using the center point and recomposing on the T3i. On the 6D I find that rather than holding the focus it will refocus. I have gotten used to using the other points. Since I am primarily landscape/architecture this has not been a problem. I have taken good shots of go-cart racing in bright sunlight, but had to frame wide and crop.

I agree with the image quality. The amount of detail moving from the APS-C to full frame sensor is amazing. I also notice that I get much more flexibility in cropping.

The 6D is not the 5DIII. If you are not taking indoor sports then it is a better value.
I'd suggest trying back button focusing on the 6D. That way you can just hold the button down while you re-compose and not deal with re-focusing issues. Once I switched, I've been hooked.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2012
abcde12345 said:
5) Flash:
Now this is something I miss quite a bit. I would prefer to have even a built in flash at times, but I guess it pushed me to get an external flash. However, it means extra weight and space. Boohoo. =<
I agree regarding all your points on the 6D, and this one still irks me. I use the on-camera flash on my 7D to trigger a couple 430EXII Speedlites remotely. I had to buy a 90EX Speedlite for my 6D to be able to do the same. If it's a prosumer camera, add the pop-up flash Canon.

Upvote 0
Nice review. My first DSLR was a 550D and I had a 7D before buying a 6D last winter. I had some of the same adjustments. Coming from the 550D and 7D I found the 6D size and weight to be a nice compromise.

Zlyden said:
"how people can hold this thing steadily, or see anything at all in its toy viewfinder?") :)

I found the large, bright viewfinder of the 6D to be an incredible upgrade from the 550D. I took some shots with a friends 550D last weekend and was surprised with how cramped and dark the viewfinder was.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
bholliman said:
Nice review. My first DSLR was a 550D and I had a 7D before buying a 6D last winter. I had some of the same adjustments. Coming from the 550D and 7D I found the 6D size and weight to be a nice compromise.

Zlyden said:
"how people can hold this thing steadily, or see anything at all in its toy viewfinder?") :)

I found the large, bright viewfinder of the 6D to be an incredible upgrade from the 550D. I took some shots with a friends 550D last weekend and was surprised with how cramped and dark the viewfinder was.

Yes indeed, cramped dark viewfinder. However, I can't believe some of the discounted prices on refurbed "rebels" here in the states. A T3i body was supposedly $299, a T4i body was around $385, and a T5i was $419 !!! Of course, Canon USA charges tax, so add 10% to those prices...but still, I was tempted to buy one, as a "backup" body for my 6D. Hard to pass up on a refurb price that is well below the price for used units on the open market, even if you factor in the tax. I guess the 6D refurbs are pricing the same way, at least for the holidays.

Upvote 0
I upgraded from the 7D. I think not having a flash is what I missed most. There's no way to trigger off camera units, so I ended up buying a Phottix Odin. Image quality, especially at high ISO, is the most noticeable improvement. Full frame quality was what I wanted, but price was the obstacle. I could afford a 6D (barely). I've had it for almost a year now and am very happy I made the move up. GPS is nice, and I use it, but I could live without it. Wifi is awesome. Quickly transferring photos to my iPad Air makes posting to social media a snap. I've come to really like it. The gimped AF system is the main drawback. While the center point is great, the outer ones are not, which makes composition more difficult in lower light situations. Now I know why people use the 'focus recompose' method. If Canon continues the 6D line, they need to make at least one point on the outer parts a cross type like the center. That would make composition easier in landscape and portrait. A second memory card slot would be nice. I had a San Disk SD card die on me Thanksgiving weekend. It wouldn't let me format it in any device. Fortunately, I didn't lose any photos. First time this has happened to me. Looking forward to another year.

Upvote 0
captainkanji said:
I upgraded from the 7D. I think not having a flash is what I missed most. There's no way to trigger off camera units, so I ended up buying a Phottix Odin. Image quality, especially at high ISO, is the most noticeable improvement. Full frame quality was what I wanted, but price was the obstacle. I could afford a 6D (barely). I've had it for almost a year now and am very happy I made the move up. GPS is nice, and I use it, but I could live without it. Wifi is awesome. Quickly transferring photos to my iPad Air makes posting to social media a snap. I've come to really like it. The gimped AF system is the main drawback. While the center point is great, the outer ones are not, which makes composition more difficult in lower light situations. Now I know why people use the 'focus recompose' method. If Canon continues the 6D line, they need to make at least one point on the outer parts a cross type like the center. That would make composition easier in landscape and portrait. A second memory card slot would be nice. I had a San Disk SD card die on me Thanksgiving weekend. It wouldn't let me format it in any device. Fortunately, I didn't lose any photos. First time this has happened to me. Looking forward to another year.

From a consumer's point of view we all desire a more robust af system than a mere center point. From a business point of view it's hard to blame canon for trying to adequately differentiate 6d and mk3. If the 6d had more than one cross type af point then it'd eat into sales of mk3 even more. For a ff that costs less than 1500 it's hard to ask for more.

I bumped into a friend at a wedding. He was using a mk3. He said that quite often he uses the center point only. So I asked him why he didn't pick the 6d instead. He didn't really have an answer. But he had a mk2 as a second body so I think he's not willing to step down.

Upvote 0
6D is a pretty interesting camera. It seems to be very nearly a 60D with a FF sensor (and WiFi, GPS), complete with the 60D ergonomics (which I liked) and already-outdated AF system. I considered both the 6D and the 5D3 as an upgrade path from my 60D. In the end the key differentiator was AF for the 5D3: far more points, more spread out in the frame, better sensitivity and focus point handoff. Being able to get sharp focus on wiggly children with thin DOF and without sacrificing composition was a priority. If I did mostly landscape/static photography and/or mainly shot at f/5.6 or above, the clear choice would have been 6D.

It would have been harder to choose the 5D3 if the 6D had a wider spread of good AF points, say 9x cross-type spreading as far across the frame, relatively speaking, as the 60D AF points. This very well might have been intentional handicapping on Canon's part to prevent cannibalizing sales of a very profitable camera. My guess is the margins on the 6D are pretty slim given substantial sensor cost and development of the wireless components.

In any event, full frame yields better IQ in basically all circumstances.

Upvote 0
More and more I want to upgrade my 550D to a 6D :)
I just discovered that the price took another jump down, to now Fr. 1995.- here in Switzerland (with the Canon 24-105mm F/4L) which is a low 2211 USD :)
I believe this will be my Christmas present. Now I just need somebody who buys my 550D first....
Looking forward for more experience posts!

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
pato said:
More and more I want to upgrade my 550D to a 6D :)
I just discovered that the price took another jump down, to now Fr. 1995.- here in Switzerland (with the Canon 24-105mm F/4L) which is a low 2211 USD :)
I believe this will be my Christmas present. Now I just need somebody who buys my 550D first....
Looking forward for more experience posts!

I hope you are able to get one and sell the 550D. Do you have something like craigslist over there, or will you use ebay or amazon?

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
CarlTN said:
I hope you are able to get one and sell the 550D.

Personally, I chose to keep my old 60d with 150k+ shutter cycles when I purchased the 6d because it's not entirely an upgrade - the 6d lacks the swivel screen which is great for tripod, and the crop factor is very handy for tele (narrower fov) and macro (less dof). Last not least, not changing lenses but having two bodies is useful sometimes and you always have a failsafe if your 6d should ever break.

If your 550d isn't in pristine condition anymore you might also think about keeping it because the resale value probably probably isn't too great nowadays, the 18mp sensor is aged and newer models have many more features.

Upvote 0
abcde12345 said:
I like how aperture has a dedicated button. I would expect ISO to have one too. It requires you to press the middle button among five buttons (there is a little bump on it so you will be able to know without looking) without spinning the dial, so it's slightly troublesome. I will prefer something like Nikon's mechanism, with two dials.

You can set up the 6D so that you can press the 'Set' button and use the top control dial to change ISO in shooting mode. This has a second advantage of automatically activating the viewfinder head's-down display, which pressing the ISO button does not; if you are trying to do it with the camera to your eye and want to see the changes in the viewfinder, you have to half-press the shutter release.

The quickest way to set this up is probably to open the Q menu, then select the 'Custom Controls' icon (the little camera with the lines to the right). Press 'Set' to open the menu, then scroll over to the Set button icon at the top right. Press Set to open the menu for the Set button, then scroll to the ISO selection. Press Set one last time, then close the menus (press the shutter release halfway is fastest way). Now you can press the Set button when you are shooting, and use the top dial to adjust ISO! The only problem I have with this is my hands are small, so it is a stretch for me.

Something else I use is to set the ISO steps to 1-stop rather than 1/3-stop, which makes it quicker to make changes in the ISO.

Now if they would just allow you to set white balance to some button!

Hope this helps!

Carol :)

Upvote 0
I did a similar upgrade, 60D to 6D. I agree with everything. Most importantly the reduciton in noise, and increase in image quality. I miss the pop up flash not for flash purposes but triggering external remote speedlites. With wifi in this camera I wouldn't be surprised if we see a remote triggering of speedlites through wifi soon. I wonder if this protocol would be fast enough. As for now, I'm looking into extension cords.

Upvote 0