6D Autofocus not impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2013
babiesphotos canada, why do you need shallow DOF when shooting lively toddlers from up close? That's just impossible to nail sharp focus on the eyes very often. I would close down to at least f/3.5 or something, when shooting near them. Pull back to 7 feet or so and then maybe try wide open, then crop later?

siegsAR, I'm sure the 7D's AF is faster than the 6D's. But again, I don't care. What we seem to have here with the 6D, is a supremely good file generator. Again, I am bumfuzzled that the luminance noise in the range between ISO 2000 and 10,000, seems to be far less than the 5D3's. I like to shoot in low light. In bright light, I certainly see no noise of any kind in the lower ISO range, but I guess technically there must be some. My hand hurts, I have shot 1000 pictures in less than a week...getting to know the camera and have become addicted.

I also bought the Canon 40mm pancake lens, and I just cannot believe how sharp to the corners it is, wide open on the 6D. The color is a bit subdued, not up to "L" standards...but certainly it seems to exceed all other "non L" Canon glass I have tried/owned. The contrast is fantastic. The AF is faster than I thought. But, I must agree with those who have said it is a tight fit on the body...be careful when mounting. The key is to slowly screw it on, don't force it quickly. This aspect does make me wonder why it needs to be that way, but optics wise, for $150 it's a long term keeper. I even like it far better than the "nifty fifty" f/1.8 I sold last year. It seems to AF faster, and I prefer the field of view of 40mm, to 50...for general shooting on a full frame. Barrel distortion also seems not too problematic.

Today I tried my Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 on the 6D. Its color, contrast, and sharpness, are truely world class. It and the 135 f/2L, are my sharpest lenses. I like its color better than the 135's, which can be on the cool-ish side. The 135 is better in all other aspects, though, with smoother bokeh than every other lens on earth, it seems to me (the 200 f/2L might be smoother still, is obviously more extreme...but there's that problem with the double images within the background bokeh). Being a fully manual Nikon-mount lens, the Voigtlander seems to light the AF points accurately, as it did on my 50D (via the adapter with "dragonfly" chip or whatever it is). Alas, the Nokton does vignette on the full frame, where it did not on the 50D. It goes away above f/2.5 or so, so nothing unusual. It also has what looks to be some spherical aberration at the full-frame corners, but it's not bad. I've seen far worse. It certainly has none of that within the crop frame, where other 50 primes have. I also managed to coax some rather unusual lens flare out of it, while pointed into the sun but at an angle. It goes away when the angle decreases (when the sun is more directly shining into the lens). Also problematic is getting remotely accurate metering once you start closing down the aperture...but then that's true of any manual-aperture lens. No lens is perfect I guess. If I had to rely on the 50mm range for busy event shooting, I would just decide between the Tamron and the Canon ii 24-70 zooms, and be done with it.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
Mark D5 TEAM II said:
Have the 6D AF bashers actually used the camera extensively? :p Otherwise it's more likely regurgitated talking points from the social media echo chamber that originated from the ID-10-T department.

From this scientific and repeatable test, it is blindingly evident that it has more consistent & precise AF than the D800, 5D2 & 7D:

http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/2012/12/af-consistency-comparison-nikon-canon-phase-detect-contrast-detect/

Very scientific.... ::)

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Chuck Alaimo said:
Also, got to shoot an event with the 6d today - dyngus day...there was dancing..

Thanks for the pics, but the most important information for me is to get real life impressions about how the 6d feels in real life, stress shooting conditions where different camera bodies do make a difference.

Some good or bad shots alone don't mean anything, you can get them out of any half-decent dlsr, though the keeper rate, constraints by limited fps/af system & the trust into the gear is much more important. But the 6d seems to do ok - and it should, in 2013 even @€1800 this is pretty damn expensive for what it is.

Upvote 0
CarlTN said:
babiesphotos canada, why do you need shallow DOF when shooting lively toddlers from up close? That's just impossible to nail sharp focus on the eyes very often. I would close down to at least f/3.5 or something, when shooting near them. Pull back to 7 feet or so and then maybe try wide open, then crop later?

siegsAR, I'm sure the 7D's AF is faster than the 6D's. But again, I don't care. What we seem to have here with the 6D, is a supremely good file generator. Again, I am bumfuzzled that the luminance noise in the range between ISO 2000 and 10,000, seems to be far less than the 5D3's. I like to shoot in low light. In bright light, I certainly see no noise of any kind in the lower ISO range, but I guess technically there must be some. My hand hurts, I have shot 1000 pictures in less than a week...getting to know the camera and have become addicted.

I also bought the Canon 40mm pancake lens, and I just cannot believe how sharp to the corners it is, wide open on the 6D. The color is a bit subdued, not up to "L" standards...but certainly it seems to exceed all other "non L" Canon glass I have tried/owned. The contrast is fantastic. The AF is faster than I thought. But, I must agree with those who have said it is a tight fit on the body...be careful when mounting. The key is to slowly screw it on, don't force it quickly. This aspect does make me wonder why it needs to be that way, but optics wise, for $150 it's a long term keeper. I even like it far better than the "nifty fifty" f/1.8 I sold last year. It seems to AF faster, and I prefer the field of view of 40mm, to 50...for general shooting on a full frame. Barrel distortion also seems not too problematic.

Today I tried my Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 on the 6D. Its color, contrast, and sharpness, are truely world class. It and the 135 f/2L, are my sharpest lenses. I like its color better than the 135's, which can be on the cool-ish side. The 135 is better in all other aspects, though, with smoother bokeh than every other lens on earth, it seems to me (the 200 f/2L might be smoother still, is obviously more extreme...but there's that problem with the double images within the background bokeh). Being a fully manual Nikon-mount lens, the Voigtlander seems to light the AF points accurately, as it did on my 50D (via the adapter with "dragonfly" chip or whatever it is). Alas, the Nokton does vignette on the full frame, where it did not on the 50D. It goes away above f/2.5 or so, so nothing unusual. It also has what looks to be some spherical aberration at the full-frame corners, but it's not bad. I've seen far worse. It certainly has none of that within the crop frame, where other 50 primes have. I also managed to coax some rather unusual lens flare out of it, while pointed into the sun but at an angle. It goes away when the angle decreases (when the sun is more directly shining into the lens). Also problematic is getting remotely accurate metering once you start closing down the aperture...but then that's true of any manual-aperture lens. No lens is perfect I guess. If I had to rely on the 50mm range for busy event shooting, I would just decide between the Tamron and the Canon ii 24-70 zooms, and be done with it.

Good points here, that in many ways mirror my feelings about the 6D. I love the camera, and actually somewhat dislike using my backup 5D2 when I need (I carry both bodies into some shoots). I plan to soon replace the 5D2 with either a 5D3 or perhaps another 6D. The 6D feels fabulous in my hands, and, above all, as Carl said, it just produces great images!

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
Albi86 said:
Mark D5 TEAM II said:
Have the 6D AF bashers actually used the camera extensively? :p Otherwise it's more likely regurgitated talking points from the social media echo chamber that originated from the ID-10-T department.

From this scientific and repeatable test, it is blindingly evident that it has more consistent & precise AF than the D800, 5D2 & 7D:

http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/2012/12/af-consistency-comparison-nikon-canon-phase-detect-contrast-detect/

Very scientific.... ::)

If Rich doesn't know how to test AF scientifically, I dont know who would ::) ::)

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:
Why would anyone buy a 6D when a refurb 5D3 is only a few bucks more?

This isn't true at the moment, unfortunately. Canon's discount of the 5D3 refurbs is off at the moment. That being said, as I and others have documented, there are actually several things that the 6D does better than the 5D3, and it's lower weight is appealing to many people. The 6D is much more of a camera than the specs suggest. I have yet to find a person who has actually used one that strongly dislikes it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
RLPhoto said:

This isn't true at the moment, unfortunately. Canon's discount of the 5D3 refurbs is off at the moment. That being said, as I and others have documented, there are actually several things that the 6D does better than the 5D3, and it's lower weight is appealing to many people. The 6D is much more of a camera than the specs suggest. I have yet to find a person who has actually used one that strongly dislikes it.

I'm sure the 5d3 refurb sales will return but only issue is I found is the 6D bad value for $$$$.

Skirball (agreeing that 50's vehicles are steaming metal death traps) that malibu is front engine/trans/drive thus has more metal/weight in the front to crush the on-coming car. Just a note. ;D

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:
RLPhoto said:

I'm sure the 5d3 refurb sales will return but only issue is I found is the 6D bad value for $$$$.

Not everyone considers $500 - $600 to be "a few bucks".

And as many have said (with upturned nose), many buying 6Ds are coming from Rebels or xxD, and need a decent wide angle zoom to go with the jump to FF. If I was to buy a new 24-105 from a reputable dealer I'm looking at $1000. So I could say I picked up the 6D for $1400 in the kit. A grand less than a refurbished 5d3. I know you just can't seem to accept this, but not everyone feels they need to have a 5d3.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Skirball said:
RLPhoto said:
RLPhoto said:

And as many have said (with upturned nose), many buying 6Ds are coming from Rebels or xxD, and need a decent wide angle zoom to go with the jump to FF. If I was to buy a new 24-105 from a reputable dealer I'm looking at $1000. So I could say I picked up the 6D for $1400 in the kit. A grand less than a refurbished 5d3. I know you just can't seem to accept this, but not everyone feels they need to have a 5d3.

Your decision is fine. 6D is a good camera, but for 2000$? Eh, If I had to do it over again... I could see a 5D2 with some lenses or a 5Dc with alot of lenses and flashes or even a d700.

6D for 2000$ new or a Canon 5d3 Refurb (Basically new) for 2379$? It's a few dollars more, for alot more camera.

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:
Skirball said:
RLPhoto said:
RLPhoto said:

Your decision is fine. 6D is a good camera, but for 2000$? Eh, If I had to do it over again... I could see a 5D2 with some lenses or a 5Dc with alot of lenses and flashes or even a d700.

6D for 2000$ new or a Canon 5d3 Refurb (Basically new) for 2379$? It's a few dollars more, for alot more camera.

So.... you didn't read anything I wrote?

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Skirball said:
RLPhoto said:
Skirball said:
RLPhoto said:
RLPhoto said:

Sure I read it, did you understand mine?

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:
Skirball said:
RLPhoto said:
Skirball said:
RLPhoto said:
RLPhoto said:

I did, and I understand that you're incorrect. It's not a few dollars more, it's anywhere from $600 - $1000, depending on your needs.

And it's only a lot more camera if it's something you're going to use; despite the mantra on here that you have to have the best. It's a lot more AF, the other points are debatable, again depending on your situation and needs (a concept you have a hard time understanding). I like the size/weight, I like using SD cards, I like and use the WiFi. I guess I'm just a Rebel user, so you can dismiss my opinion, but I like these things. And based off a review of what I've shot for the last two years, I'm not going to miss the advanced AF much. I think a lot of people on here are in denial about that.

Upvote 0
CarlTN said:

Why? Well, at first I didn't know better, then, I LOVE shallow DOF look when I nail the focus, and finally, we have twins, so I'm often outnumbered, and my kids love camera (ok, boy does), and they came, reach for the camera, look at the pictures etc. Honestly, unless kids play with their mom, I can't keep the distance. Camera trumps any other toy, so they'll abandon whatever they were doing to be 'active participants'. I find that 40 2.8 works quite well in these circumstances.

And finally, I love 6D. As I said elsewhere, I sold 5D MKIII and bought 6D, so money had influence on my decision, but if I were silly rich and truly disinterested in monetary questions, I STILL MAY CHOOSE 6D over 5D Mk III, as long as it's not "one camera until the rest of your life". No, it's not better, but it's close enough for my needs, and it's lighter enough that it makes difference, and it fits better in my hand (I'm 5-7, so no giant for sure). My hand hurts less after wielding 24-70 for couple hours. And there is also GPS and WiFi, which I didn't care for initially, but I find them really interesting now.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Skirball said:
RLPhoto said:
Skirball said:
RLPhoto said:
Skirball said:
RLPhoto said:
RLPhoto said:

I did, and I understand that you're incorrect. It's not a few dollars more, it's anywhere from $600 - $1000, depending on your needs.

And it's only a lot more camera if it's something you're going to use; despite the mantra on here that you have to have the best. It's a lot more AF, the other points are debatable, again depending on your situation and needs (a concept you have a hard time understanding). I like the size/weight, I like using SD cards, I like and use the WiFi. I guess I'm just a Rebel user, so you can dismiss my opinion, but I like these things. And based off a review of what I've shot for the last two years, I'm not going to miss the advanced AF much. I think a lot of people on here are in denial about that.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892349-REG/Canon_8035b002_EOS_6D_Digital_Camera.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892354-REG/Canon_8035b009_EOS_6D_Digital_Camera.html

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=13301.0

6D KIT - 2700$
6D Body - 2100$
24-105L - From 750$-1100$ depending where you shop.

At best you get the 6D body for 1600$ in a kit, assuming someone will pay exact value for it (Which no-one will)

At worst, the 6D body will cost around 2000$, assuming someone will pay the average price of 750$ for the 24-105L.

I've seen deals on ebay & craigslist for mk2 @ 1200-1400$.

Budget - 2700$

5D2 - 1200$
24-105L - Bought from a 6D users kit - 750$
100mm F/2 - 450$
50mm F/1.8 - 100$
430EXII - 200$

Both 6D & 5D2 numbers can be cheaper depending on where you are. Overall, I'd choose the latter. Thats how I view the 6D for value per $$$.

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:
Skirball said:
RLPhoto said:
Skirball said:
RLPhoto said:
Skirball said:
RLPhoto said:
RLPhoto said:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892349-REG/Canon_8035b002_EOS_6D_Digital_Camera.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892354-REG/Canon_8035b009_EOS_6D_Digital_Camera.html

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=13301.0

6D KIT - 2700$
6D Body - 2100$
24-105L - From 750$-1100$ depending where you shop.

At best you get the 6D body for 1600$ in a kit, assuming someone will pay exact value for it (Which no-one will)

At worst, the 6D body will cost around 2000$, assuming someone will pay the average price of 750$ for the 24-105L.

I've seen deals on ebay & craigslist for mk2 @ 1200-1400$.

Budget - 2700$

5D2 - 1200$
24-105L - Bought from a 6D users kit - 750$
100mm F/2 - 450$
50mm F/1.8 - 100$
430EXII - 200$

Both 6D & 5D2 numbers can be cheaper depending on where you are. Overall, I'd choose the latter. Thats how I view the 6D for value per $$$.

Add it to the cart, the price drops.

Amazon:

Body: $1760 No Tax for most.
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-20-2-Digital-Camera-3-0-Inch/dp/B009B0MZ8U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364921363&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+6D

Kit: $2350. No tax for many.
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Camera-3-0-Inch-EF24-105mm/dp/B009B0MZG2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1364921363&sr=8-2&keywords=canon+6D

As I said in my post, I needed to buy a 24-105. It's a matter of perspective, but in my situation it was another $1000 to add to the cost if I was to buy new.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
there are actually several things that the 6D does better than the 5D3, and it's lower weight is appealing to many people. The 6D is much more of a camera than the specs suggest. I have yet to find a person who has actually used one that strongly dislikes it.

+1 ... I "strongly" like my 6D :) I think it'll be even better with the 17mm TSE, I plan to get next month ... The 5d3 won't matter ;)

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Skirball said:
As I said in my post, I needed to buy a 24-105. It's a matter of perspective, but in my situation it was another $1000 to add to the cost if I was to buy new.

24-105L's are dime a dozen now. Many people are stripping the kit lenses out and selling them second hand for 750-850$ brand new in box. Even the 2350$ kit from amazon, when selling the 24-105L for the market price, at best its 1600$ for the body, Minus the effort and time to sell the kit lens.

While If you purchase the 5D3, sure its a few more dollars but your getting alot more camera for not alot more monies. If you really want value per $$$, a used 5D2 is unbeatable. So, where does the 6D fall in? A market where users who NEED Wifi Controls and GPS built in camera. (Considering Eye-fi cards are a good compromise but don't allow control)

You situation also assumes that the person must buy a kit. What if they don't want the kit lens? :p

I'm not knocking any 6D users, I just feel canon didn't do it justice.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.