candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Fotofanten said:
candyman said:
Crosswind said:
PhotographyFirst said:
Yes! Canon would be very wise to make a Rebel sized and weight FF camera for people who just want something compact but with high image quality. I would buy it for sure. Even the 6D is much heavier and stronger than it needs to be.

This is so true. One can only dream that something like this happens in the near future...
Does anyone expect a 6D mark II to be smaller in some way?

I must say I use my 6D a lot with my 35 f/2 and 50 f/1,4 or 16-35. Bigger lenses go on my 5D MK3
But still, I hope they keep the same size for the 6D MK2 and not smaller. Not for my hands and not to mess up the balance with the lenses

I agree with your size argument. It doesnt have to be any smaller. But there are lots of weight savings to be had if they replace the metal build with something lighter. For me personally, the appeal of mirrorless lies solely in the potential weigth reduction. For comparison:

Canon 6D + 16-35 f/4L IS : 1385 grams
Sony A7R + Sony FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS: 983 grams

I don't have experience with the Sony A7R + Sony FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS: 983 grams
So I can't compare. I do have exprience with a Rebel - I assume this is the size smaller than 6D (which can be compared to 70d). For me, so personally, I like the 6D size also as a light travelcamera

Upvote 0

e17paul

Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
Oct 8, 2013
London, UK
candyman said:
Fotofanten said:
candyman said:
Crosswind said:
PhotographyFirst said:
Yes! Canon would be very wise to make a Rebel sized and weight FF camera for people who just want something compact but with high image quality. I would buy it for sure. Even the 6D is much heavier and stronger than it needs to be.

This is so true. One can only dream that something like this happens in the near future...

I must say I use my 6D a lot with my 35 f/2 and 50 f/1,4 or 16-35. Bigger lenses go on my 5D MK3
But still, I hope they keep the same size for the 6D MK2 and not smaller. Not for my hands and not to mess up the balance with the lenses

I agree with your size argument. It doesnt have to be any smaller. But there are lots of weight savings to be had if they replace the metal build with something lighter. For me personally, the appeal of mirrorless lies solely in the potential weigth reduction. For comparison:

I don't have experience with the Sony A7R + Sony FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS: 983 grams
So I can't compare. I do have exprience with a Rebel - I assume this is the size smaller than 6D (which can be compared to 70d). For me, so personally, I like the 6D size also as a light travelcamera

I'm expecting the 6D2 to be the same build and weight as the current model, but a lighter weight cheaper alternative to join the range.

Neither will be as compact as the A7 or as small as a Rebel. The mirrorless possibility would be the biggest announcement since 1987, requiring a whole new line of lenses.

A new line of lenses was mentioned in an interview with Canon recently.....

Upvote 0
e17paul said:
candyman said:
Fotofanten said:
candyman said:
Crosswind said:
PhotographyFirst said:

I'm expecting the 6D2 to be the same build and weight as the current model, but a lighter weight cheaper alternative to join the range.

Neither will be as compact as the A7 or as small as a Rebel. The mirrorless possibility would be the biggest announcement since 1987, requiring a whole new line of lenses.

A new line of lenses was mentioned in an interview with Canon recently.....

They can get a Rebel sized FF if they just went with EVF mirrorless and kept the same lens flange distance. No new lenses would be needed.

Upvote 0
I remember when people said the 6D would be a yearly Rebel series. LOL.

Having the 6D for two years, It really doesn't do anything wrong for what I use (events, advertising, people), and even in action I can manage to get a few keepers. Also, I really appreciated the GPS and WiFi, and used them a lot more than I was expecting.

I think Canon will sell the 5DIII along with the 5DIV for sometime.

My wishes:

- If a 6DII comes along, it needs to have the same quality as the 5DIV for sure.
The 6D and 5DIII were mostly equal (kudos to the 6D for having less banding).

- Also, the AF points need to be at least as precise as the 6D (more than the 7D/70D, since sometimes I hear people complaining about it)

- Touch, no flip-out, DPAF

Do that, and maybe I will upgrade once the 6DIII arrives :)

Upvote 0
My predictions:

Sensor:
5D4 - 24+MP (maybe up to 28MP to eclipse the D750)
6D2 - 22MP from the 5D3

Focus:
5D4 - 65 all cross like the 7D2
6D2 - 19 all cross (probably dual cross centre on both)
Both get DPAF for Live View as it seems to be the way they are going.

FPS:
5D4 - 7-8FPS to beat the D750
6D2 - 5-6 FPS like the 5D3

Video:
5D4 - 4K
6D2 - 1080P60

Camera Back:
5D4 - Glass Screen
6D2 - Touch/Swivel Screen

5D4 - Joystick and new toggle from 7D2
6D2 - Maybe adds joystick from 5D3

WiFi/GPS:
5D4 - WiFi
6D2 - WiFi/GPS

Processor:
5D4 - Dual Digic 6
6D2 - Single Digic 6 (maybe 6+)

Memory Card:
5D4 - 1CF + 1SD
6D2 - 2SD (I'm going out on a limb with this one. Probably only 1SD)

Viewfinder:
5D4 - 100%
6D2 - 98%

I think the 6D2 finally adds a headphone jack and both cameras get uncompressed HDMI output. Not sure how the 5D4 will handle 4K output as I don't think they would have space for dual HDMI output. It may be a coincidence that this generation (Mark IV) coincides with 4K capability but I think its is a happy coincidence. I bet they announce the 4K capable 5D Mark IV at NAB in April.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
BPLOL said:
I remember when people said the 6D would be a yearly Rebel series. LOL.

No way - the real experts (read: me) said that Canon just put the 6d on the market because they had to counter the Nikon d600 "entry ff", and unless they're losing money with the 6d they won't update it but try to upsell.

BPLOL said:
and even in action I can manage to get a few keepers.

Right, the 6d really teaches you a zen-like tolerance for frustration :). It's just a pity that is only rated for 100k shutter cycles, I essentially take two exposures of every potential keeper in case the af screws up and already arrived at 70k with wildlife.

Upvote 0
My guess is something similar to a 70D mixed with a lessened down version of the 5DIV rumored specs:

• Full frame sensor 20-24mp
• DPAF
• Swivel articulating touch screen
• 19 point AF all cross-type
• Single SD card slot
• Mic input, no headphone output
• 1080p60 but same moire/aliasing underperformance as current 6D/70D
• No 4K
• WiFi/GPS/NFC(?)
• <100% viewfinder coverage
• ISO 100-51,200 (expandable 50-204,800)
• 4-6 fps
• No thumb joystick
• No clean HDMI output

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Coolhandchuck said:
I would like to see a body solely dedicated to still photography. With the removal of the video functions, hopefully canon would add more still functions without an increase in cost. I have never taken a video with my dslr and I am sure that there others out there like me.

Me neither - but it's no good, and the video removal has been suggested again and again.

It's simply that the video functions and live view are a "free" addon as they're inside their standard digic processors. Producing a simplified "stills" version probably would increase r&d cost, not decrease it - never mind saving some cents of licensing fees (if at all). On the 6d, the video already is as basic and bad (moiré, no raw video) as they could make it.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
Coolhandchuck said:
I would like to see a body solely dedicated to still photography. With the removal of the video functions, hopefully canon would add more still functions without an increase in cost. I have never taken a video with my dslr and I am sure that there others out there like me.

Me neither - but it's no good, and the video removal has been suggested again and again.

It's simply that the video functions and live view are a "free" addon as they're inside their standard digic processors. Producing a simplified "stills" version probably would increase r&d cost, not decrease it - never mind saving some cents of licensing fees (if at all). On the 6d, the video already is as basic and bad (moiré, no raw video) as they could make it.

It could be argued that the 5D3 was given too strong of an AA filter to make the video better. In such case it has a very real drawback to guys doing stills only. The 5D2 had a much weaker AA filter and needed less sharpening in post than the 5D3.

I don't mind video on my cameras, and sometimes use it for casual fun, or to record shot notes with the audio. But if the camera stills suffer because of it, I'm not down with that, and neither some other people.

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
K said:
The 6D is in many ways similar to the 5D2, but with a better sensor. Almost the same AF, resolution, speed, and one card slot. 6D is a little better overall though. However, it was the equal in sensor IQ to the 5D3.

At least in terms of noise/banding the 6D has a better sensor than the 5D3, which is largely why when I decided I didn't need both I sold my 5DIII rather than my 6D.

I don't think the 6D needs much improving - faster shutter speed would be nice, as would more AF points covering a higher proportion of the screen (to more easily avoid focus-recompose issues) and a sensor with even better noise performance, but I'm not sure what other changes I would benefit from given how I use cameras. What I would really like to see is something quite different: a mirrorless rival to, say, the Sony a7II. If Canon did that I would buy one immediately, but presumably they won't.

I'll leave speculation as to what Canon would do differently if a 6DII emerges to others, especially since so many features in cameras these days don't interest me in the least (I have zero interest in video, GPS, WiFi, sports, BIF etc.). But it's probably safe to assume they'll change the AF in some non-trivial way.

Upvote 0
andrewflo said:
My guess is something similar to a 70D mixed with a lessened down version of the 5DIV rumored specs:

• DPAF
• Single SD card slot
• No 4K
• WiFi/GPS/NFC(?)
• 4-6 fps
• No thumb joystick
• No clean HDMI output

I don't agree about the headphone jack. Anything that isn't a Rebel should have it and it's an easy addition. All the changes to the 6D can come straight from the parts pin of products they already have. They could even use the sensor and AF from the 5D3 and dumb it down if they wanted less points. Cheaper than developing a new one.

Upvote 0
Apr 16, 2013
andrewflo said:

• DPAF
• Single SD card slot
• No 4K
• WiFi/GPS/NFC(?)
• 4-6 fps
• No thumb joystick
• No clean HDMI output

I pretty much agree w/ this BUT:
No articulating screen

PLUS:
Digic 6+ processor

Upvote 0