70-200 2.8 II or 100 2.8L and 135 2 and 200 2.8

pk

Sep 18, 2014
+1 for 70-200 2.8 II

It is a great lens for kids on stage (ballet, theater, music) and in sports (soccer). It is bright, has the flexibility of a zoom (although a relatively narrow range), focuses fast (very important for capturing action), and has great image quality throughout the zoom range. It is a big/heavy/white lens that gets attention but does an excellent job in many scenarios.

For stage performances, the zoom allows me to not worry so much about where I sit, since I can adapt via zoom and still have flexibility for composition during the performance. I enable IS, since I don't need to move the lens quickly and shutter speeds of 1/125 to 1/250 are common based on available light and keeping ISO low enough to avoid excessive crop sensor ISO noise.

For sports (mostly soccer), the zoom and fast focusing are both essential and excellent, but I disable IS because I use shutter speed of 1/1000 to stop motion and I move the lens frequently and quickly to track action. The zoom range is perfect for soccer up through 8v8 field sizes and for half of an 11v11 field, but it's too short for the far side of an 11v11 field. Adding a teleconverter slows the focus too much when tracking fast action. The 70-300L focus speed doesn't compare.

For wildlife, it's a great lens within its range, but you may want to add a teleconverter for longer reach on a budget. On African safari, I used this lens on a crop camera with excellent results in most cases. I limited my kit to what could fit in a day pack, so I brought the 70-200 2.8 II, an EF-S 17-55 for wide angle, and 2.0x III teleconverter instead of a longer/bigger/heavier/expensive lens. Shots with the teleconverter were softer and had less contrast but were roughly comparable to the best a 100-400 could do. My keeper rate was about the same with and without the teleconverter, but heat wave distortion was usually the limiting factor on long distance shots.

It's also a good, flexible portrait lens -- although heavy for that purpose.

The 70-200 on a crop sensor is sometimes too long, but the 70-100 range is definitely useful vs the primes you are considering. Even at 70, I can't take a picture of an entire stage, I have to step back far to take full body portraits after a performance (inconvenient when other parents step in the way), and for team photos I have to move far away (and again other parents often step in the way). So, even though the main event requires a long lens, it's good to also bring a shorter lens for after the event.

Upvote 0

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
JohnDizzo15 said:
OR, if you aren't just looking for tele-supertele range, I say the zoom plus the 35/2 IS would be a great rounding out if you are going to be picking up the 7d2.

+1

The 35 2.0 IS is nice lens and complements the 70-200 nicely. For light challenged events, I will use this lens on one body and the 70-200 on another. It also makes a nice "normal" lens for crop bodies. Plus, it's a poor man's macro. Okay, not really macro, but you can get quite close with this lens.

Upvote 0

Tabor Warren Photography

I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
Feb 2, 2012
Tulsa, OK
www.photosbytabor.com
I wish you had listed the 35L as an option, best baby/toddler/kid lens we own (Proud father of a 5 year old, 2 year old, and 9 month old).

However, since the 35L was not an option, I would go for the big tele. Yes it is heavy. Yes it is amazing.

I use "the big tele" at least 5 times a week for weddings and portrait shoots, but the weight really doesn't bother me at all. My wife, however, rarely carries the thing around and has a hard time with it when she does. If we ever split gear, I'll take the big tele, and she'll take the 100 2.8L or the 85 1.2L. We both do just fine, but I definitely prefer the 70-200 f/2.8L ii.

Last little note, I rarely take it out when we go out as a family. When we head out to the park, or spend the day at a theme park/traveling, we only take a 5Diii, and the 35.

Cheers!
-Tabor

Upvote 0
Tabor Warren Photography said:
I wish you had listed the 35L as an option, best baby/toddler/kid lens we own (Proud father of a 5 year old, 2 year old, and 9 month old).

However, since the 35L was not an option, I would go for the big tele. Yes it is heavy. Yes it is amazing.

I use "the big tele" at least 5 times a week for weddings and portrait shoots, but the weight really doesn't bother me at all. My wife, however, rarely carries the thing around and has a hard time with it when she does. If we ever split gear, I'll take the big tele, and she'll take the 100 2.8L or the 85 1.2L. We both do just fine, but I definitely prefer the 70-200 f/2.8L ii.

Last little note, I rarely take it out when we go out as a family. When we head out to the park, or spend the day at a theme park/traveling, we only take a 5Diii, and the 35.
I don't have a 35L now, but do own a 35 f/2 IS and it IS a great lens for little kids. We have a 2 year old and lots of under 5 nieces and nephews running around. 35mm is a great focal length for capturing them around the house, in the yard or at the park.

Upvote 0
tushit said:
I am getting 70-200 f2.8 II for the same price as the following set 100 f2.8L, 135 f2 and 200 f2.8. I currently own a 60D and am planning to purchase the 7DII once it is available here in my country. What do you think is a better buy - the zoom or the set of primes? I love to shoot my kid (a very active toddler, her ballet recitals, outdoor sports, etc) and wildlife.

I own 3 of the 4 lenses you proposed - all but the 200 f/2.8, and have no intention of selling any of them. I probably use the 70-200 the most by a small margin, but my 100L Macro and 135L get lots of use every week. To me there is a place for all of them in my kit. Here are the reasons why I own each of them:

70-200 2.8 II - excellent IQ, versatility, reach (200mm is my longest lens at the moment)

135 f/2 - f/2 and size. This is my favorite portrait and low-light sports lens. Excellent bokeh wide open (which is where is use it 90% of the time.

100 f/2.8 Macro - Short minimum focal distance and macro capability for small stuff. Also reasonably small and light, a nice partner to my 35 IS or 24-70 II

I've never owned or used a 200 f/2.8, from what I've read its an excellent lens, but for me I don't see any advantages over the 70-200 other than size, weight and being less conspicuous. To me the other two primes bring more advantages to the table.

If I were forced to sell 2 of the 3, I would probably keep the 70-200, but I hope that's a decision I never have to make.

Upvote 0

Hjalmarg1

Photo Hobbyist
Oct 8, 2013
Doha, Qatar
tushit said:
Hi,

I am getting 70-200 f2.8 II for the same price as the following set 100 f2.8L, 135 f2 and 200 f2.8. I currently own a 60D and am planning to purchase the 7DII once it is available here in my country. What do you think is a better buy - the zoom or the set of primes? I love to shoot my kid (a very active toddler, her ballet recitals, outdoor sports, etc) and wildlife.

Would love to get opinion from folks here.

Thanks.
Get the 70-200mm f2.8L IS II. The IQ is on the level of the primes and AF of this lens is faster than all of them. I have the 100L and it is a little sharper than the 70-200mm but not much. I used the 100L mostly for macro, because for portrait the 70-200 is on par and gives me flexibility

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Hjalmarg1 said:
tushit said:
Hi,

Would love to get opinion from folks here.

Thanks.

I use my 100L primarily for product photography, at f8.

My 100L is also sharper than my 70-200.
Get the 70-200mm f2.8L IS II. The IQ is on the level of the primes and AF of this lens is faster than all of them. I have the 100L and it is a little sharper than the 70-200mm but not much. I used the 100L mostly for macro, because for portrait the 70-200 is on par and gives me flexibility

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I heard there were still some issues with the 70-200mm F2.8L II IS. For example, the lens does not mount tight against the body. Some owners experience some 'play' if the lens is gently twisted back and forth against the body. There were complaints that some of the lenses were not sharp compared to other 70-200 ... possible quality control issue with Canon(?). Does anyone know if these issues have been resolved? Are these issues a real concern?

I am also looking into purchasing the 70-200 F2.8L II but the shops here does not allow us to open the boxes to test the lens. If you want to open the box, you need to buy it. If you have problems, send it back to Canon. This is what they tell me. It would be nice to spend >$2200 on a lens and not have to worry about 'potential' problems. I guess it depends on your luck!

Upvote 0
TLau74 said:
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I heard there were still some issues with the 70-200mm F2.8L II IS. For example, the lens does not mount tight against the body. Some owners experience some 'play' if the lens is gently twisted back and forth against the body. There were complaints that some of the lenses were not sharp compared to other 70-200 ... possible quality control issue with Canon(?). Does anyone know if these issues have been resolved? Are these issues a real concern?

I am also looking into purchasing the 70-200 F2.8L II but the shops here does not allow us to open the boxes to test the lens. If you want to open the box, you need to buy it. If you have problems, send it back to Canon. This is what they tell me. It would be nice to spend >$2200 on a lens and not have to worry about 'potential' problems. I guess it depends on your luck!

It depends on the body. There is a some play, but the pin locks and it works fine. The play was more on my 5DII than my 5DIII but there is still some. I also have some play in some of my other Canon lenses. It's a tolerance stackup issue, but it's within the specs and everything works as it should.

Perhaps there is a lemon here or there, but there are lot fewer 70-200 f/2.8 IS II complaints than the 50L, 50A, 35A, etc. If your body as AFMA, use it to get the best performance. If it doesn't, then you might have to send both the lens and camera into Canon for them to adjust.

Upvote 0

BLFPhoto

Canon EOS user since '91...
I have had the 80-200 f/2.8L /70-200 f/2.8L and now the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II. I have also had or currently own the 100 f/2.8L, 135 f/2L and 200 f/2.8L.

I would boil your question down to what is more important to your shooting, flexibility, or the specialized qualities of the 100 and 135. The 200L is a wash with the new zoom.

There are times in professional shooting and/or high action situations where I need the flexibility of the zoom to adjust framing on the fly, especially when my mobility is limited by the event or circumstances. This week's paddlesports shoot with kayaks and paddleboards on the Charleston harbor is just such a situation. With choppy water and multiple boats, I needed the zoom capability to maintain a good composition. shooting with the 135 or the 200 would have made a much longer day out of it.

On the other hand, there are situations where I absolutely need the macro of the 100L or the f/2 of the 135L. For their given focal lengths, there is nothing really to choose between the three primes and the zoom. It really is the close focusing ability of the 100L that sets that lens apart. You can really move in on a tight headshot and drop backgrounds out in a way that the zoom can't in close quarters. And, of course, you can get tight on small items like rings, flowers, hands, insects, etc. With the 135, unless you've seen your image at f/2 vs the f/2.8 you can't know how special that is. I love to shoot athletes in forested trails with that lens. Even when the trees are close in, that lens lets me separate the runners at much closer range than the zoom. Same thing in crowded wedding scenarios. I can separate the couple on the dance floor from the sidelines even when they are surrounded by other guests.

Are those two qualities more important to you than the flexibility of the zoom? I think for personal shooting, unless those two things are extremely important to what you want to shoot, the zoom is going to be a better choice for the long run.

With that said, if someone said I had to choose one way or anther on my lenses, I'd drop every zoom I have and go with the 35/85/135 trinity and throw in the 100 for macro. I like the discipline of single focal length shooting.

Upvote 0
Went thru similar choice...still have the 70-200 f2.8 is2, 100L. The 200L 2.8 was virtually identical iq, but black, small, light, inexpensive. But zoom won out in the end, though I really dislike the size/weight of the 70-200, but for me I need the 2.8 for low light... If low light is not an issue, hard to beat a 24- 105 and 70- 200 f4 pair.

Upvote 0
TLau74 said:

The "play" is not an issue, that's a fact. It is normal and doesn't negatively affect images in any way. (Topic has been discussed many many times on this forum). By the way, the play is the same on the Nikon 70-200 so it's not a Canon issue.
Regarding sharpness, I've been using mine straight out of the box without adjustment for three years now and I've found it to be a very sharp lens.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
While we are having this conversation... I'd like to take it right off the rails.

I have a 70-200mm f/2.8L mkii and a canon 1.4 TC mkii. So that gives me 98-280mm @ f/4... So I have an opportunity to buy a 300mm f/4L is for $700... but my question is do I need that for $700? I'm thinking no... Sure I will have 420mm @ 5.6 with the tc... but I'm not sure I need that...

Thoughts?

Upvote 0