70-200 F2.8 mark I or mark II?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I know this topic probably came up a bunch of times...I'm looking for a 70-200 F2.8 lens.
I've looked at the tamron, sigma and the canon mark i and mark ii...but I cant decide which one!
Anyone have experience with the Sigma and the Canon 70-200 mark i and mark ii that can compare the quality and image quality?!?

Thanks!

BTW I'm shooting with the 5D mark III

I have Canon EF 70-200 mm 2.8L IS II USM and really like results which can be achieved by using this lens. Before bying it i read a lot of info about I generation lens as well as third party providers. I am not professional photographer, however, based on all info that I read it seems that my current lens is the best that could be bought fot money at the moment :)

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Well of course the mk2 is wayway better in every aspect and not just a tad. But if you're like me it's a lens I hardly ever used and therefor completely stupid to pay that price for.. However I just the other day picked up a 70-200 2.8 non-is for $350 and then it suddenly is a super bargain an totally worth to own, even if I use it no more than twice a year..

Never missed the mk1 or the mk2 when I sold them..

Upvote 0

Atonegro

It's not the gear, it's the eye.
Dec 16, 2012
Netherlands
The 2.8-IS mark1 is the worst 70-200 lens Canon has ever made, it is not sharp, and I tried over 20 copies.
So I have been using my non-IS version, witch is much better.
Only recently I bought a mark2 version, and that is an excelent lens, but that comes at a price.
The Tamron seems to be a very good lens too, not as good as the mark2, but better than the other two.
I can not say for myself, because I never worked with the Tamron.

So, if money is an issue, buy the non IS, great money for value.
If you want IS, buy the Tamron.
If you want the best, buy the mark2.

And you also can consider the F4 versions....

Upvote 0
As indicated above, the 70-200 f/2.8 II is far superior, as virtually every review out there will indicate. Significant difference in resolution quality, amongst other things (e.g. bokeh quality). Regarded as one of Canon's greatest lenses.

Yes, pricing is quite steep, and if this is an issue you should consider the 70-200 f/4L IS if the 1-stop difference is acceptable to you. The f/4L is optically superior to the f/2.8L I, and many would argue that it is not far behind the f/2.8L mark II.

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
Having owned the 70-200/2.8 I and the 70-200/2.8 II, and used both on a 40D and 5D mk II, the difference between the two lenses is like night and day.

The mk I, when stopped down to f4 produces quite nice results. The colours and contrast are very nice, but the sharpness isn't fully there. At f2.8 and viewed at 100%, it always has a very ugly softness to it. The mk II however just nails it every time - you only gain DoF by stopping down - the sharpness is simply stunning wide open throughout the zoom range. The IS is better too. I'm unaware of any aspect of the mk I being better than mk II.

I would strongly recommend against the mk I. If you are buying it to shoot at f4 and below, save yourself money, size and weight and get the 70-200/4 IS. According to test chart shots on TDP, it's sharper than the mk I at f4, and the IS is better (4 stops vs 3 stops). It also means if you're ever shooting in Tv, it can't open up to a poor performing aperture. If you want to shoot at f2.8, there is no substitute for the mk II.

Upvote 0
Another vote here for the 70-200 IS USM II

I just bought one the other day to accompany my mkiii after much debate between the Tamron and this, and believe me when I tell you, this lens is amazing. I had been shooting with the 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM, (great lens) but my pictures took a crazy jump in every single aspect. I was definitely worried at first about the price vs performance part, but let me tell you, I am no longer worried and am glad to have invested my money in such a great lens. To quote a friend of mine, "If you don't have this lens, don't buy any other lens until you get it."

Upvote 0
I find it interesting how many people sang the praises of the mkI for many years, calling it one of Canon's great lenses...then suddenly it's a dog when the mkII comes out. Did the lens change? Or our perception of it? Obviously the latter. Certainly the mkII is the better lens, all sources indicate to. The question is, whether you have to spend the additional money for it, or would the mkI or Tamaron work satisfactorily for your needs? Only you can decide. I have the mkI, I find it's satisfactory for most of what I need it for. I'm happy with images from 100mm to 200mm, at 70mm I seem to get less critical sharpness, though not unusable. Fortunately, I tend to use this lens more at the upper ranges, so this isn't a dire issue for me. I do like to stop down to f/3.5 when possible, but I don't shy from f/2.8 if needed, and can get satisfactory results. On portraits (what I mainly use it for) I get detail in eyelashes and such, so it serves it's function, and the bokeh is a wonderful creamy texture (I've heard the mkII is a bit more harsh in that feature). Would I like to have a mkII? Sure, sounds like it would be nice. Do I feel I NEED a mkII? Not necessarily, I'm able to produce completely acceptable and sellable (the last being the most important to me as I'm a full time professional) images with the mkI, so as a business decision it's better for me to just keep the mkI.

Should you get a mkI? If you want the most critically sharp lens, and money isn't an issue, then probably not. If you want a reasonably good performing lens, one that was widely accepted as a quality lens for over a decade when it was a current model, and can find a good copy at a decent price, it may meet your needs. That's for you to decide, don't let others opinions with no perspective on your needs be the only factor in your decision. Calculate you needs and make an educated decision from there.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.