Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
I want to believe but...... :)

View attachment 200434

I agree it has been a long ongoing rumour. But even above could have been the real true plans a year ago, but Covid-related supplier/production/transportation issues has probably forced Canon (and all other manufacturers) to cancel or postpone prior plans several times during the last 1,5 year.

(and sadly the same could maybe be said about todays rumor :-/ )

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Doesn't follow in the slightest. After all EOS-M was actually created while the 7D series was current.

If they saw enough of a demand for EOS-M to create it while there were crop sensor EF(-S) DSLRs being sold by the millions, why would they kill it just because they're creating a crop sensor RF mirrorless?

And it seems as though you hate EOS-M enough to want it dead? Why?
Back then it was another time … mobile phones were not harassing camera market so much … Now we have mobile phone with 1” sensor creaping in. I have apc camera, and I allmost do not use it at all, because of apple in my pocket… Nowadays I think there is room only for unique products. Therefore I think all in high end to unique, and nothing overlaping. I have had the apc experience enough, and so have many other users. Puting attention to overlaping products is just waste of brain resources.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
This math only compares to the equivalent focal length in field of view. The R5 in 1.6 crop mode gives you about 17 megapixels.
I believe that to scale a FF sensor to APS-C sensor the math is: FF Resolution / (crop factor)^2.

For the R5 the numbers would be 45/(1.6^2) = 17.6.

Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
I can imagine a high-end (R6-level) Canon body with an APSC sensor. What I have much more difficulty imagining is Canon RF-S lenses to address ultra-wide angle needs. It seems, at least on this forum, nearly all the clamoring for a crop sensor R body comes the crowd demanding extra reach for bird and long-distance wildlife photography. I never see posts about the urgent need for a crop R body to shoot wide angle. Almost all the appeal seems to be at the long telephoto end. Nevertheless, the recently announced RF 16/2.8 may prove decent-enough for most shooters to cover the wide end on a crop sensor R body used mainly for telephoto reach.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
I can imagine a high-end (R6-level) Canon body with an APSC sensor. What I have much more difficulty imagining is Canon RF-S lenses to address ultra-wide angle needs. It seems, at least on this forum, nearly all the clamoring for a crop sensor R body comes the crowd demanding extra reach for bird and long-distance wildlife photography. I never see posts about the urgent need for a crop R body to shoot wide angle. Almost all the appeal seems to be at the long telephoto end. Nevertheless, the recently announced RF 16/2.8 may prove decent-enough for most shooters to cover the wide end on a crop sensor R body used mainly for telephoto reach.
1) On Canon website, they even state the "focal length" for APSC (they say "in crop mode...") for the 16mm f/2.8.
2) Well, people want it for more reach but some of them still want to use the camera for other stuff. So and low end ultra wide would work. But I don't want to see the aperture.. it's gonna be f/11 again :)

Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
A BSI sensor doesn't do a whole lot for IQ as we see from the Nikon Z5 vs Z6, but maybe we'll get something more out of it. A stacked BSI sensor as a 7D mirrorless replacement on the other hand would be very interesting and possibly under £3000.
It may be a "little R3". Same like the 7D was a small 1D. Then the BSI would make sense for super fast read-out

• Love
Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
I love Canon. There's a shortage of chips and parts etc, but they somehow manage to find the raw materials to make a camera no one was looking for, while some of us are waiting for a new budget FF camera that will be everything that the RP wasn't.
Materials are hard to get and expensive now. So it makes sense to produce high-end cameras first unfortunatelly :(

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I have had the apc experience enough, and so have many other users. Puting attention to overlaping products is just waste of brain resources.
Camera makers have produced approximately 3.7 million APS-C cameras so far this year. But maybe you know better because you have more ‘brain resources’.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
I doubt we will see EFS specific lenses ether. Having said that adapting the EF-S 18-55 3.5 would get you a whole stop of light and more range over the rumored 18-45 4.5. Still the end of 22 is along ways away and I suspect their will be to little to late especially as we won't have confirmation that this isn't just more BS to muddy the water for another year.
I think they could bring something like 10-22 to cover the ultra wide end and maybe something like 17-55 as a good kit lens. It wouldn't make sense to buy the 15(14)-35 as a standard zoom for an apsc camera. Too expensive, too heavy, and short zoom range.

Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
Since Canon is starting from scratch with this mount I wonder if they would consider going to 1.5x crop for APS-C.
I was thinking the same. But they may want it to be compatible with all the EF-S lenses designed for 1.6. Or, they can crop it slightly when EF-S lens is attached. However, all the R bodies do 1.6x, when you choose crop. So I think that indicates that it's gonna be 1.6 again

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Upvote 0