A BSI APS-C EOS R camera is coming in the second half of 2022 [CR2]

Dalantech

Gatekeeper to the Small World
Feb 12, 2015
I am almost always holding on to whatever the critter is perched on with my non camera hand, and then resting the lens on that same hand so that subject and camera are on the same "platform". I focus by sliding the lens on my hand, and can rotate the subject's perch to change the angle of it and/or get it looking into the camera. I will then pick a spot where I want the area of acceptable focus to start, like this Swallowtail Butterfly's proboscis, and then twist my wrist (the one holding the camera) to lay the area of acceptable focus over the critter's leading eye trying to get as much of its face in focus.

Thank you for that detailed response! As a newcomer to macro photography myself, your insight is very much appreciated!
Thanks for taking the time to tell me!

I have tutorials at Deviant art and I blog about macro if you are interested.

Distinctly Average

I'm New Here
Sep 30, 2021
@Dalantech thank you for responding. I didn't notice your links before so I'm glad to see that you have tutorials on your site. Thanks for that. And, I certainly agree with @takesome1
I’ve learnt so much over the years from @Dalantech tutorials and blog as well as lots of great advice on other forums. I started macro in the film era and gave up as I just couldn’t afford it. Also the slow feedback didn’t make learning easy. So when I tried again a few years ago the superb advice from many really got me hooked. When forums work well they are a wonderful resource.

As for your gallery, I have really enjoyed looking through, particularly your bird shots. The mono heron is superb.

Reactions: HenryL

Dalantech

Gatekeeper to the Small World
Feb 12, 2015
I’ve learnt so much over the years from @Dalantech tutorials and blog as well as lots of great advice on other forums. I started macro in the film era and gave up as I just couldn’t afford it. Also the slow feedback didn’t make learning easy. So when I tried again a few years ago the superb advice from many really got me hooked. When forums work well they are a wonderful resource.

As for your gallery, I have really enjoyed looking through, particularly your bird shots. The mono heron is superb.
Happy to help! When I first got into macro there were very few resources, but a few people took the time to help me and the tutorials and blog are my way of paying it forward.