A BSI APS-C EOS R camera is coming in the second half of 2022 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Ever since the launch of the original Canon EOS R, there has been a burning question as to whether or not Canon would be bringing an APS-C RF mount camera to consumers.
Over the last few years, there have been sporadic reports that this is going to happen eventually.
I have now been told by a good source that Canon will definitely be bringing an APS-C RF mount camera equipped with a backside-illuminated sensor in the second half of 2022.
I have also been told that this new BSI APS-C sensor will appear in more than one camera. The resolution of the sensor is unknown at this time, but I think something in the area of 28mp-32mp is quite likely.
More to come…

Continue reading...

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Jul 21, 2010
I wonder how they will approach lenses going forward.
The rumored/roadmapped RF 18-45mm f/4-5.6 IS STM could serve as an APS-C kit lens or a consumer/inexpensive ultrawide zoom for a sub-$1000 FF EOS R. I highly doubt we'll see an RF equivalent to the EF-S lenses. But then, I doubt we'll see an APS-C EOS R body at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I wonder how they will approach lenses going forward.
Not a problem. Canon only needs 1-2 lenses for an APS-C body: a standard zoom similar to the 15-85 EF-S and a wide angle similar to the 10-22 EF-S. For everything else, standard RF lens focal lengths are fine or even preferred. With the R system, Canon no longer has to worry about separate mounts as they can easily make those crop lenses automatically crop to 1.6 on any R body just as EF-S lenses do now.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
While eagerly waiting for an R7, I recently bited the dust and bought an R6 to start playing with Animal Eye AF. Great camera and great AF, I'm having a lot of fun with it. But I will happily [what I feel like will be an] upgrade again to APS-C to get a more light-weight and convenient kit to walk around with all day. I'm never gonna get a "highend enthuiast quality"/"prosumer" [fullframe equivalent] 16-400mm triple-zoomlens kit down to same weight in fullframe as I do with my APS-C 7DII (even though the 7D is one of the heavier cameras).
But still "only" a long-term CR2-rumor. In these covid-times of supplier, production and transportation crisis, its hard to believe in anything before we see it.

From here also a vote for RF equivalents to the EF-S 10-22mm (or the EF-S 10-18mm) and the EF-S 15-85mm. However I could probably also easily survive adapting my existing lenses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
A BSI sensor doesn't do a whole lot for IQ as we see from the Nikon Z5 vs Z6, but maybe we'll get something more out of it. A stacked BSI sensor as a 7D mirrorless replacement on the other hand would be very interesting and possibly under £3000.
Stacked BSI would of course be better but any BSI will result n less noise and better low-light performance.
Not going with stacked BSI will allow Canon to use the same sensor in more affordable cameras.
Fuji has committed to making an APS-C stacked BSI sensor.
As much as I would love a stacked sensor for the rolling shutter performance, I would choose a Canon BSI over a Fuji stacked.
I am sure Fuji fans would see differently.

Upvote 0