Has Canon axed their Canon EOS R7 C plans? [CR2]

I take RAW Light as a given,
I am not sure why the R5 and R3 use Canon RAW Light while the R5 C uses Cinema RAW Light.
Raw light wasn't initially in the R5 release... if it was an option then all the armchair commentators for the overheating issue would have been a non-issue.
What is the difference between Canon and Cinema RAW light?

Upvote 0
It's one of those slightly quirky cameras that polarizes opinions.

I know that @AlanF uses one for BIF and seems to regard it highly. One of my butterfly photography pals also has one and also rates it very highly. On the other hand, one of the people I met on a recent safari bought one and quickly sold it, considering it to be too small and the controls too cramped.

I considered getting an R7 as a backup to my R5, but have decided to wait until the R5 price drops further, and will then get a second R5 body.

If it were me I would have the R5 and get the R7 or R6 II as the backup, that way you can diversify instead of having 2 of the same bodies, but if you would prefer two R5's then go for it :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I wouldn't be surprised if the price of the R1 is 10k lol
My guess is €2000 more than the R3, which keeps it below 9k. Having said that, the Nikon Z9 is €500 cheaper than the R3, I hope that increase the pressure on Canon to keep the R1 below Leica pricing.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
What is the difference between Canon and Cinema RAW light?
As far as I know, the R5 was the first camera with Canon RAW Light.
Canon RAW first debuted in the C500 while Cinema RAW Light debuted in the C200.
I can't say for sure all of the differences but comparing the R5 to the R5 C Canon RAW Light files are smaller than Cinema RAW Light ST but bigger than Cinema RAW Light LT.
Cinema RAW Light LT debuted with the C70.
Not many of us expected 4K RAW would be possible to SD cards, let alone 4K 60.
There is also a Cinema RAW Light HQ which seems to be what is just called Cinema RAW Light in the C300 III if we compare the C70 to the C300 III.

Upvote 0
Maybe a firmware update for the R7 at ~ 99 dollar/euro to give it more cinema capabilities? The switch is there and the processor might be good enough for more than the standard features.
I would really like to have FullHD generated from the full sensor pixels and open gate capability + some masks/grids for cinemascope aspect ratio. Just that would let me pay for a CinemaReady firmware.

Upvote 0
With all due respect but it seems that CR has been swinging and missing a lot lately.
Maybe but I think the world is going mad a little bit at least in economics - green transition, high inflation, effects of law and limited resources, maybe some pills against GAS - and therefore development is slowing down/finds some weird directions to meet "our demand" (or what companies think our demand might be).

Upvote 0