Has Canon axed their Canon EOS R7 C plans? [CR2]

Jul 21, 2010
UWA is available for full frame but not for RF-S/APS-C sensors unless you adapt EF-S UWA lenses.
Also lacking are UWA L prime lenses.
CANON RELEASE EVERY LENS FOR THE RF SYSTEM NOW OR ELSE YOU'RE D00MED. CANON ARE YOU LISTENING??? ;)

1681352262977.png

The RF system is 5 years old and has 31 FF lenses, the first APS-C RF camera was announced less than a year ago and there are three RF-S lenses. The others will come.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Interesting, my experience has been quite the opposite. In spite of the limitations (buffer, slower scan rate, controls, etc.) I really appreciated the R7 for its compact size, light weight, and battery life. Attached to the 100-500 it was the killer, compact combination for hiking or portability. Unfortunately, compared to my R5, the AF is not as consistently accurate and IQ is not as good (in spite of the higher pixel density) due to pixel noise and loss of a stop of DR. I still prefer my R5 which is usually wedded to a long prime with the R7 on my shoulder with the 100-500 for spontaneous/closer action.
My experience aligns with yours. The R5 locks on faster and more accurately for BIF, of which I do a lot, than does the R7. I get consistently sharper images with the R5 and I find also the 1.6x wider field of view much easier to handle. For perched birds, I am more than happy using the R7. Its noise is very well cleaned up by DxO PL software. I am very happy to own both bodies. The R5 has a much faster sensor than R7, as seen by its being much less affected by rolling shutter in ES mode, and I guess that its AF responds faster than the R7’s.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
CANON RELEASE EVERY LENS FOR THE RF SYSTEM NOW OR ELSE YOU'RE D00MED. CANON ARE YOU LISTENING??? ;)

View attachment 208415

The RF system is 5 years old and has 31 FF lenses, the first APS-C RF camera was announced less than a year ago and there are three RF-S lenses. The others will come.
True but all long EF/RF lenses work perfectly on RF-S bodies for reach/working distance etc.
The only missing (and to me obvious) lenses are UWA RF-S lenses. It is the only lens gap that requires adapted EF-S lenses which is not a great solution.. even if it works.
Repackaging EF-M or EF-S lenses to RF-S would make sense and shouldn't need a lot of R&D and could just use the EF protocols and would meet the market gap.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The only missing (and to me obvious) lenses are UWA RF-S lenses. It is the only lens gap that requires adapted EF-S lenses which is not a great solution.. even if it works.
Repackaging EF-M or EF-S lenses to RF-S would make sense and shouldn't need a lot of R&D and could just use the EF protocols and would meet the market gap.
I’m sure an RF-S UWA zoom will be released at some point. I wonder why Canon would leave such an obvious market gap, and has chosen to release RF-S lenses in the order they have. It’s almost as if they know something we don’t, like how many of each type of EF-S and EF-M lenses were sold and when. Naaah, no one could know that.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
what if R5ii comes first?
I think the R5ii is at least a year away.

If I can afford to, I'll get a second R5 prior to my next safari in October.

It doesn't make sense for me to spend 4.5-5K on a R5ii, when I could get another R5 for half the price. I'd rather save the money and spend it on travel.

Sure, it would be nice to have stickier AF, 90MP, stacked sensor and other goodies that might arrive with the R5ii, but the R5 is pretty amazing as it is, and my main need is for a second body with identical handling to the R5.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK

View attachment 208415

Haha, but half of us will be dead before they release the RF 180mm macro that a lot of folk are begging for...

No, I'm not going to define "a lot" of folk ;)

Upvote 0
I'm extremely unlikely to get the R5 Mkii, as the R5 does just about all I need it to do, and will be half the price of the R5 Mkii by the time the latter is launched. Upgrades to AF, fps etc would be nice, but I don't think I'd be tempted until Canon bang out a version with a 90MP (ish) sensor that has DR and noise characteristics as good or better than the R5.
90 mp sounds like a crazy number :) I've been toying with the idea of a R5mkii if it does indeed have 61mp because it would give me 23,8 ≈ 24 MP in crop mode and thus more "reach" and could use fewer lenses e.g. on a school trip or city travels. A 24-105mm would be a do-it-all lense for of the time. But for reasons I've explained in other posts, I'm not in the market for R5mkii.

90MP would be around 35 MP in crop mode, more than my R has now and it have a higher pixel density than the R7 That would be a crazy amount of MP (think of IBIS Pixel shift ) and I would definitely need to upgrade my MacBook pro for that amount of data. But the flexibility does sound tempting... :) But if I had the choice I'd go with 61/24 MP.

Upvote 0
Sure, it would be nice to have stickier AF, 90MP, stacked sensor and other goodies that might arrive with the R5ii...
Those specs actually sound more like a R1 camera. I keep wondering if they could really pull of a stacked sensor with 80MP (or more) on it...
Then again, I figure they'd start with around 55-62 MP to beat the competition and save 80MP for the R1 mk II in 2028 to outlet Sony/ Nikon again.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Those specs actually sound more like a R1 camera. I keep wondering if they could really pull of a stacked sensor with 80MP (or more) on it...
Then again, I figure they'd start with around 55-62 MP to beat the competition and save 80MP for the R1 mk II in 2028 to outlet Sony/ Nikon again.
I wouldn't be surprised if the R1 gets a global shutter and stays below the 50MP mark.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
90 mp sounds like a crazy number :) I've been toying with the idea of a R5mkii if it does indeed have 61mp because it would give me 23,8 ≈ 24 MP in crop mode and thus more "reach" and could use fewer lenses e.g. on a school trip or city travels. A 24-105mm would be a do-it-all lense for of the time. But for reasons I've explained in other posts, I'm not in the market for R5mkii.

90MP would be around 35 MP in crop mode, more than my R has now and it have a higher pixel density than the R7 That would be a crazy amount of MP (think of IBIS Pixel shift ) and I would definitely need to upgrade my MacBook pro for that amount of data. But the flexibility does sound tempting... :) But if I had the choice I'd go with 61/24 MP.
I figure 90MP would be a good number, as it means a 50% increase in linear resolution, which would make heavier cropping more feasible while retaining high image quality. It would also put Canon a jump ahead of Sony in the MP race. They may put a 60MP-ish sensor in the R5ii, but it's not a big enough jump to make it worthwhile for me, not even if they also upgrade the AF, fps etc. Personally I think that 90MP with an option for pixel-binned 22.5MP would be a good choice.

I think Canon will go the R3 route with the R1, namely it will be a fully gripped battleship designed for harsh pro treatment, whereas the R5ii will be mainly an enthusiast/hobbyist machine with an option for a bolt-on grip. Likewise, my bet is that the R1 will have modest resolution, possibly around 40MP - sufficient for 8K, but low enough to allow really fast burst speeds with a limitless RAW buffer. Could be completely wrong, of course.

Upvote 0
I’m sure an RF-S UWA zoom will be released at some point. I wonder why Canon would leave such an obvious market gap, and has chosen to release RF-S lenses in the order they have. It’s almost as if they know something we don’t, like how many of each type of EF-S and EF-M lenses were sold and when. Naaah, no one could know that.
sarcasm aside, releasing the kit lenses was a normal first step.

Upvote 0
I figure 90MP would be a good number, as it means a 50% increase in linear resolution, which would make heavier cropping more feasible while retaining high image quality. It would also put Canon a jump ahead of Sony in the MP race. They may put a 60MP-ish sensor in the R5ii, but it's not a big enough jump to make it worthwhile for me, not even if they also upgrade the AF, fps etc. Personally I think that 90MP with an option for pixel-binned 22.5MP would be a good choice.

I think Canon will go the R3 route with the R1, namely it will be a fully gripped battleship designed for harsh pro treatment, whereas the R5ii will be mainly an enthusiast/hobbyist machine with an option for a bolt-on grip. Likewise, my bet is that the R1 will have modest resolution, possibly around 40MP - sufficient for 8K, but low enough to allow really fast burst speeds with a limitless RAW buffer. Could be completely wrong, of course.
The pixel-binned option (assuming 30+fps) would be a unique feature and meet 2 target markets for very high res and sports.

Canon releasing the first 12k hybrid video camera would be another but the sensor resolution would be ~100mp (12288 x 6480 video, 12288 x 8100 @ 3:2).
The only issue is how to record it. HDMI 2.1 can handle 8k/60 and 10k but I don't think that the standard includes 12k (yet). Internal recording of 12k/30 raw would be a bit crazy but not as bad as 8k60 raw. Raw light would be another choice.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
sarcasm aside, releasing the kit lenses was a normal first step.
I’d argue that the chosen ‘kit lenses’ were influenced by Canon’s sales data, as I suspect is true for the most recent lens and the (not yet launched) UWA zoom.

The RF-S kit options are the 18-45 or the 18-150. The EF-M 18-150 launched in 2016, four years after the system launched. The EF-S superzoom (18-200) launched 5 years after the mount. But the RF-S 18-150 was in the first APS-C R kits. Most likely Canon learned something from past sales.

The third RF-S lens was the 55-210, launched less than a year after the mount. The EF-M 55-200 launched two years after the mount, the EF-S 55-250 four years in. Both became very popular in Japan paired in a two-lens kit with the wide/standard zoom (in fact, such kits with a Kiss DSLR or M50 remain very high in Japan sales rankings to this day). Most likely Canon learned something from past sales.

For both EF-M and EF-S, a UWA zoom launched the year after the mount, as the third lens in the series. We’re three lenses into RF-S, and no UWA zoom. Most likely Canon learned something from past sales.

Upvote 0
I’d argue that the chosen ‘kit lenses’ were influenced by Canon’s sales data, as I suspect is true for the most recent lens and the (not yet launched) UWA zoom.

The RF-S kit options are the 18-45 or the 18-150. The EF-M 18-150 launched in 2016, four years after the system launched. The EF-S superzoom (18-200) launched 5 years after the mount. But the RF-S 18-150 was in the first APS-C R kits. Most likely Canon learned something from past sales.

The third RF-S lens was the 55-210, launched less than a year after the mount. The EF-M 55-200 launched two years after the mount, the EF-S 55-250 four years in. Both became very popular in Japan paired in a two-lens kit with the wide/standard zoom (in fact, such kits with a Kiss DSLR or M50 remain very high in Japan sales rankings to this day). Most likely Canon learned something from past sales.

For both EF-M and EF-S, a UWA zoom launched the year after the mount, as the third lens in the series. We’re three lenses into RF-S, and no UWA zoom. Most likely Canon learned something from past sales.
makes sense. From what I have seen the EF-M wide angle zoom/prime have good reviews for image quality. It looks like Canon repackaged the 18-150mm which is commercially reasonable... just need to have the others repackaged as well to complete the set. Simple! :cool:

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
makes sense. From what I have seen the EF-M wide angle zoom/prime have good reviews for image quality. It looks like Canon repackaged the 18-150mm which is commercially reasonable... just need to have the others repackaged as well to complete the set. Simple! :cool:
Agreed, and I hope they do. The M11-22 is my most-used lens on the M bodies, with the M18-150 a close second. Both are very good lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0