A BSI APS-C EOS R camera is coming in the second half of 2022 [CR2]

Because if we keep saying the same thing long enough, eventually we’ll be right. Then, we get to say, “I told you so!” Which is the real goal in all these proclamations.
Love Ef-m but I agree it’s dead in the water. No lenses since I can’t remember when, last body was basically I minor update possibly software driven and complete silence from Canon on anything to do with EF-m. The current lens are ok but they are not good enough quality to resolve the resolution on the M6 mk 2, with the exception of the 32mm 1.4 and maybe the 28mm Macro. It also needed a lighter long lens 70-300 or 100-400 and some more interesting primes. Otherwise you adapt lenses and it makes it more front heavy and bulky.

in any case I can no longer recommend EF-m to anyone, a real shame.

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Haven't Canon said they won't be launching any RF-S lenses though? If so, what RF lens will give a superwide angle on an APS-C R?

Canon has never said anything about RF-S lenses or crop cameras. But the rumor-mill has suggested crop camera bodies but without dedicated crop lenses.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Love Ef-m but I agree it’s dead in the water. No lenses since I can’t remember when, last body was basically I minor update possibly software driven and complete silence from Canon on anything to do with EF-m. The current lens are ok but they are not good enough quality to resolve the resolution on the M6 mk 2, with the exception of the 32mm 1.4 and maybe the 28mm Macro. It also needed a lighter long lens 70-300 or 100-400 and some more interesting primes. Otherwise you adapt lenses and it makes it more front heavy and bulky.

It is a shame, because if you know anyone looking for a really compact system with excellent image quality, then the M system is still (in my opinion) by far the best. The lenses are very good quality for the price. Aside from a big telephoto zoom, it has all the lenses the target market would ever need. (and,come to think of it, the target market almost certainly does not need a bigger zoom). So, yes, it is a shame that you wouldn't recommend EF-M to someone looking for a small compact system due to a rumor that does nothing to indicate that the M system is "dead in the water."

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Love Ef-m but I agree it’s dead in the water. No lenses since I can’t remember when, last body was basically I minor update possibly software driven and complete silence from Canon on anything to do with EF-m.

I can no longer recommend barbed wire to anyone looking to construct a fence. It hasn’t been updated in 150 years, it’s dead in the water.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
It is a shame, because if you know anyone looking for a really compact system with excellent image quality, then the M system is still (in my opinion) by far the best. The lenses are very good quality for the price. Aside from a big telephoto zoom, it has all the lenses the target market would ever need. (and,come to think of it, the target market almost certainly does not need a bigger zoom). So, yes, it is a shame that you wouldn't recommend EF-M to someone looking for a small compact system due to a rumor that does nothing to indicate that the M system is "dead in the water."

And even if it were "dead in the water" what would that actually mean?

If it would mean "Canon is about to discontinue it," that's one thing. But there's no reason to believe that beyond the fantasies of certain people who seem to resent its very existence for some reason.

But if all it meant were that they're not going to create new lenses for it...that's no reason not to recommend it. It means us gearheads won't see any news about it...but so what? The lenses are just as good now as they were a few years ago.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
The Silence from Canon is deafening for such a good system and I do love the system but... I also mentioned the lack of decent quality lenses, if you releasing a 32 megapixel camera, M6 Mk2 yet the lenses don't have the quality to resolve, what's the point, go back to 24 megapixel and continue to sell to those that want better then a smartphone, but don't expect the smartphone not to pass you by as they improve sensors, software and zooms. Oh and by the way FUJI is still making quality lenses in the APSC world and seem proud of that. (no I don't use a Fuji).

For the record I have an R6 and M6 mk2

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
I gave up waiting for a high-end APS-C R body from Canon some time around the beginning of this year. While I would love to believe this "rumor", the cynical part of me sees this as a familiar pattern for CR to keep the clicks coming during the rumor void following the R3 release. Last week it was a Cinema EOS post, this week it's APS-C.

I've been reading reports of new high-end APS-C bodies from "good sources" here "in development" and "in the wild" and in "discussion internally" and "actively...doing market research" for four years. CR0, CR1, CR2, no matter. Lots of forum posts have come of it, but no cameras!

*IF* this rumor is true, it might not be the high-end "R7" that many of us (including me) are hoping for. It could be a low cost transition body to help migrate M series users into the R ecosystem. Or it could be somewhere in the middle, a kind of "R90D".

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Brilliant. Does show that the pundits in this forum are 'not' always right. This must be humbling.
For me, this will be bought only if it is lighter, smaller with lighter, smaller lenses.

The vast majority of "pundits" you read in internet forums about any topic are just armchair observers who read the same information as you and I from those same internet forums.

Anybody who's really privy to what's going on inside Canon won't say anything because that's insider information. And anybody who independently analyzes this market professionally won't say anything because their analysis is proprietary information that clients pay for in order to make big money investment decisions. And by "big money" I mean a lot more than just whether they should buy an R3 or R5 now or wait until next year.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Since Canon is starting from scratch with this mount I wonder if they would consider going to 1.5x crop for APS-C.
I don't believe they started completely from scratch. My guess is that they started with the EF mount so that existing EF lenses can work at full performance with a relatively inexpensive physical adapter. For native RF lenses, they added extra pins to allow faster data transfer, new features, and higher power.

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
Sounds like a potential mirrorless version of the 90D. Could be interesting for wildlife. At 30mp it would be like cropping the R5.
uhhhh...that's the M6 MkII.

I'd be surprised if someone hasn't posted this already.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Unless they also make smaller RFS lenses I just don’t understand the appeal of a smaller sensor but FF lenses. Your not gaining anything, but losing IQ. You can always crop FF for more lens reach. I get that some people want a smaller compact kit for travel or convenience for casual shooting but wasn’t there a statement that Canon wasn’t going to make any RFS glass? Or has that changed again? I guess you could adapt EFS glass. They must be planning on smaller lenses for the system otherwise I see no advantage.

Cheaper sensors on a cheaper body makes a cheaper camera to use on the cheaper lenses.
You gain "cheaper" which more people can afford.
Pretty much one of the main reasons the APS-C was created: it is "cheaper".
Cheaper will open it up to a market they are not tapping yet with the R.
I would imagine that is the advantage.

The PC term wouldn't be "cheaper" it would be "affordable".

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
I can imagine a high-end (R6-level) Canon body with an APSC sensor. What I have much more difficulty imagining is Canon RF-S lenses to address ultra-wide angle needs. It seems, at least on this forum, nearly all the clamoring for a crop sensor R body comes the crowd demanding extra reach for bird and long-distance wildlife photography. I never see posts about the urgent need for a crop R body to shoot wide angle. Almost all the appeal seems to be at the long telephoto end. Nevertheless, the recently announced RF 16/2.8 may prove decent-enough for most shooters to cover the wide end on a crop sensor R body used mainly for telephoto reach.
I agree that there's no need to get hung up on the idea of a vast range of "RF-S" lenses.

I know I've said this before, so apologies for repeating myself, but I think an easy path for Canon to take would be to make RF versions of the existing EF-M 11-22 and 15-45 that only provide a cropped image circle. If you want to use them on an FF body, have at it, but it will automatically go into crop mode. If you need something faster or longer for the APS-C body, pony up for a full frame lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0