A budget EOS R body is coming in the first half of 2021 [CR2]

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
This will be a camera for the big box stores to sell to new photographers just as the digital rebel was. Its not going to be loaded with bells and whistles or super sensor or even a EVF. That does not mean it won't do a good job in the right hands, but everything possible will be cut out to get the price down. The cost to manufacture a camera is not even close to the selling price. There are so many hidden costs that bump the price up to that big figure. I think Canon would like to get a FF camera / lens kit into big box stores for <$1000.
I agree for the most part, but for some reason I doubt that they would risk not putting in an EVF. It seems they use different qualities of EVF. If the M50 has one, I don't see why this one wouldn't as well. I just think this will be establishing that standard, and finally transition from consumer DSLRs to mirrorless. The Rebel R.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I apologized for mistakenly calling you out in another comment. Joke definitely flew over my head. I lost myself in a dark tunnel vision and now I see... I should take more breaks.

So, basically, if I want to understand your state of mind then, I should bolt a Tamron APS-C lens onto my R5 and get a nice uncropped image circle tunnel-vision effect?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Swerky

G1X Mark III
Sep 3, 2020
Why would the market need an Eos r that is cheaper than the rp? Maybe, if it has features not found on the rp. Ibis? For less than 999$, could Canon release basically an Eos rp with ibis and without evf to make it a realistic offer at such a low price? With ibis it would definitely need a bigger battery. Specially if we have the option to add an external evf. Could Canon still be able to price all that for less than 999?
In any case if it turns out to be an evf less eos rp with no option for an evf, it’s a no go for me. I’ll get the Nikon Z5 to adapt my lovely voigtlander lenses.

Upvote 0

Swerky

G1X Mark III
Sep 3, 2020
What an odd question.

Perhaps because $999 is still a hell of a lot of money?
I’d imagine if one was on the market for a full frame camera, one would have a minimum budget to be prepared to pay. Full frame isn’t a necessity or a desire for everybody. For the same amount of money one can get a better crop sensor camera.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Too many people cry about 6D2 sensor.. its not an issue. I was going over my Lightroom catalog yesterday that has over 200,000 photos from all kinds of cameras including the original EOS M with its super trashy 18mp sensor and the original 6D. The amount of clarity and supreme detail i was able to pull out of those files even at high ISO.. i was thinking... F those dynamic range arguments. WAY OVER BLOWN for real world scenarios. you'll almost never need that. It's nice to have but too many cry about it just cause youtubers cry about it. I was floored at how many beautiful EOS M (ORIGINAL) photos I could crank out.

I've been going over my honeymoon (2013) pics to finally make an album out of them and the M pictures still look great. I've run a few of the high ISO (800 and up) ones through Topaz Denoise and that improved those shots even more.
But I have to say that I do like that I can raise the shadows more in photos from my RP compared to the M, black insects are really hard to expose properly. I never missed 'moar DR', but after getting it in the RP, I've started appreciating it. But for non-macro shots the original M is still more than good enough.

Upvote 0
a $900 camera with no EVF. I fail to see how anyone can be excited by such a camera. De-featured to Olympus E-PL8 levels without the benefit of being compact unless using lenses negating any FF sensor advantage. Obviously there is demand for such a thing though considering how many here and over at SAR get über excited by suggestions of these bulky point-and-shoots.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I’d imagine if one was on the market for a full frame camera, one would have a minimum budget to be prepared to pay. Full frame isn’t a necessity or a desire for everybody. For the same amount of money one can get a better crop sensor camera.

If we for a moment assume that Canon isn't going to make any more Ms and EF-S rebels, what would replace the $/€500 body + lens combo? Is Canon going to cede the sub-$/€1000 market to phones?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I wonder, what is the problem with having cameras at multiple price points, with feature lists that match the price?

Of course we can give Canon some advice about what features would be needed. I personally think that the image quality should be better than what you get from APS-C cameras and phones, otherwise the customers will be disappointed. And that's about it. That would be enough to lure people into the R eco-system.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
I have one wish for a new budget camera - leave the RP design! Naturally, preserving the viewfinder!)
Of course, it would be great if the matrix on it was of a new generation and a little over 20 megapixels.
And release 17-70 / 3.5-5.6 lens!
Agreed. Though, I may be wrong but isn't 17-70 an APS-C lens's range for zoom ? We're talking about FF camera here. So maybe 28-70 or 24-70 is more accurate.

Upvote 0

Swerky

G1X Mark III
Sep 3, 2020
If we for a moment assume that Canon isn't going to make any more Ms and EF-S rebels, what would replace the $/€500 body + lens combo? Is Canon going to cede the sub-$/€1000 market to phones?
The way things are going, the rebel cameras are staying. We’re still not certain wether the Eos m line would be cut off. And if that’s the case can we realistically assume that Canon will only be doing full frame cameras, distributed between high end, mid range and low end?

Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
Won't hold my breath.

The 6D was supposed to be their FF dSLR but was disappointing in many ways.

The 6D Mk2 was supposed to be better but it was a hobbled by its single card, so so number of pixels and lack of 4K video, and its auto focus cluster was basically dropped in from one of their APSC cameras.
6D is and will probably be the best seller FF DSLR forever (and maybe even the best FF SLR seller overall, considering the 2012-2015 "bubbled" market figures vs what's left of them now). I can't figure out what was disappointing about it. It's aged now for sure, and can be considered limited at some points if we compare it to cameras in same price range that were launched few years later, but, as it was the first affordable FF digital choice, it can't be qualified of "disappointing" in any way to my sense.
And I personally always vastly preferred the 20Mp sensor from the 6D than the 26Mp from the 6DII. To me, 30% more things with nearly no benefit is simply a loss, in the end.
The improvement of the screen features were certainly great though and the AF was also a tad better on the 6DII.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2018
Agreed. Though, I may be wrong but isn't 17-70 an APS-C lens's range for zoom ? We're talking about FF camera here. So maybe 28-70 or 24-70 is more accurate.
Thank)
There have been patent applications for the 17-70 and 16-60 full-frame lenses.

Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
Thank)
There have been patent applications for the 17-70 and 16-60 full-frame lenses.
Indeed, though there is a long way between patents and effective real gears. That would be interesting, if also it can be cheap enough. However, looks like Canon has decided to surprise us from now on (I'm thinking of 600mm and 800mm F/11 for instance), so why not.. :)

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Brand new R6 sitting here in the box... Unsure if I really want to open it if it's just going to overheat. Meanwhile, Canon is trying to make other cameras?
I don't know your reasons or thought process for ordering the R6 but clearly you thought there were features that would suite your needs above that of the body your already have.
I have the R5 and despite the deluge of negative comments, decided to not listen to the you tube nay sayers and negative members on this community and actually make my own mind up. I am so pleased I did as the R5 is everything I wanted it to be and more, especially with the new firmware.

My advice for what it is worth, is, unless you are doing long high resolution video clips, I would open the box, experience the camera for yourself and make your own mind up. There will be more firmware updates which I am 100% positive will make the camera better just as they did with the R.

Upvote 0