A Canon RF 70-135mm f/2L USM gets a mention [CR1]

sanj

EOS R5
Jan 22, 2012
[/URL]

please read in its entirety.. there are images that demonstrate some points joestopper have made.
Personally I have a limited experience with the RF 85/1.2 and 28-70/2. just about 30 min each. however, my opinion is that 85/1.2 is an amazing tool.
at F2.0 sharpness, CA levels, distortions, bokeh quality, focus to out of focus transitions, contrast, colours and overall rendition is s.u.p.e.r.b full stop.. just out of this world. amazing lens.

I am going to own this tools when opportunity presented itself.
on the other hand, 28-70/2 while is a unique lens.. I was not convinced enough there.. anyway...
all of the above is only my personal point of view.
Thank you. But it does not really compare it with the 50 mm.

Reactions: CanonFanBoy

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Thank you. But it does not really compare it with the 50 mm.
no, it does not directly compare these too lenses, but look at the B&W shot here:

(Canon EOS R + RF50mm F1.2 L USM @ 50mm, ISO 100, 1/200, f/5.6)

rendition, contrast and punch is amazing.
What else could one expect from a lens (tool) designed to help creatives unleashing their inner talent and creativity?

Admittedly, 50mm is not my thing. However 85mm.. is a completely different story :)

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
A 75-130/2.0 lens with front element as small as 67mm is a possibility.
That'd have severe mechanical vignetting, and bokeh circles would start to change into American footballs as soon as you move away from the center of the photo. I'd prefer Canon go the opposite direction: a front element big enough for round highlights all the way out to the corners.

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
Sigma is well known for building lenses with an excessively large front elements.
Large front elements can reduce mechanical vignetting though. You make it sound like they're doing a bad job but it doesn't necessarily follow. Despite how big the RF50/1.2 is, for instance, the corners are very dark wide-open and the bokeh of out-of-focus point highlights aren't circles, they're shaped like American footballs. That's thanks to the front lens being small. The 50/1.2 would arguably take even better imates if it the front lens were bigger.

Richard Anthony

EOS 90D
Feb 24, 2020
I already have the the 28-70 F2 , so this lens would compliment that and my R5 when it comes , what an expensive year this is turning into lol

<-- start Taboola -->