A new camera not named the R1 is coming in the 2nd half of 2021 [CR2]

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
And to think I used to defend this guy. Now I think he's just a pompous a** with a fantasy existence that rivals Harry Film. 100% keepers. Yeah right.
I actually always had the thought that it was the pros that were good enough to use various and multiple points for autofocus as the circumstances called for. I didn't realize that I was regressing, I started with a single point (it was a 5D afterall), I didn't realize that method was the pinnacle of professionalism.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I actually always had the thought that it was the pros that were good enough to use various and multiple points for autofocus as the circumstances called for. I didn't realize that I was regressing, I started with a single point (it was a 5D afterall), I didn't realize that method was the pinnacle of professionalism.
From my limited experience with the 1DX III the one reason I would upgrade from my MkII is the AF button improvement. That little infra red thing is an absolute killer addition for fast AF point movement.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
From my limited experience with the 1DX III the one reason I would upgrade from my MkII is the AF button improvement. That little infra red thing is an absolute killer addition for fast AF point movement.
I’m most definitely not an expert when. It comes to action photography, nearly all of my experience has been manually focused landscape work. I’ve done some of course, but never consistently and therefore not at the level of quality one can come to expect with experience and practice.

That began to change a little with the 5d4 body (5D and 5d2 previously). I do have the ole eos 3 which had unique tech for its day. In any event it was when I picked up the m62 that I really started choosing different subjects and shooting in nearly a daily basis. I know for a fact that being able to co tell focus point location by dragging my thumb across the back screen was a large part of that. I have the r5 set up the same way.

I realize the 1d series is and was on a different level from an AF standpoint, but even with the inherent drawbacks to and EVF vs OVF it seems impossible to deny what mirrorless tech has done for autofocusing.

And speaking of EVF use, I actually shot a long exposure image with 16 stops of nd filter hanging on front. What’s amazing was I was able to compose AFTER placing the filters because the evf allowed me to see! Then I could change comps without taking the set up off! Never happen with OVF, just isn’t possible.

Sure there are things I think an OVF is better for. Following action being one of them. Everything is a compromise however. With one you can follow action easy but achieving focus where you want it is at least more difficult. With the other you can focus just about anywhere but following is more difficult. Pick you poison.

***Apologize for my grammar and spelling, phones are not the best places to compose responses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
And to think I used to defend this guy. Now I think he's just a pompous a** with a fantasy existence that rivals Harry Film. 100% keepers. Yeah right.
I said "about 100%" but why would a fool who can't read, comprehend facts or even have basic knowledge of photography call one of the best photographers in the U.S. pompous? No doubt you're one of people who comes to us begs for a job and can't meet our standards. We hire the best in the world not amatures who don't produce spot on perfect work at EVERY game.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
A very wise man once told me "if you are that good, you won't need to talk about it others will do that for you". Another one told me something along the lines of that if you have to resort to insults in an argument you have already lost the argument. I don't remember the exact words but...

Both have seemed to be pretty true statements in my experience.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
I’m confused. Is there still an unknown “new camera not named the R1” coming in 2H 2021?

Everybody thought it was going to be the R5s, but the recent rumor pushes that back to 2022.

Is it the R5c? I assumed not because that was teased in a different rumor on March 9, a week *before* this one, but it solidified in a follow-on rumor posted on March 17 (two days *after* this one) for ”announcement in late 2021”.

Is there something else coming this year, or am I the only one who is unclear on the concept?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I still believe that the trademark for THE professional Canon camera is still

EOS-1

so wouldn't it be good tradition for Canon to name tha flagship

EOS-1 R
?
There is a verly long ancestry of EOS-1 cameras since 1989...

They dropped the EOS-1 nomenclature about 20 years ago when they introduced the EOS 1D.

Before the EOS system the top camera was the F1 and then the F1 New (yes, that was the actual model name).

It will be the EOS R1 because Canon wants to put the emphasis on it being part of the R mount and the new RF lenses.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
You can expect the R1 released prior to the Summer Oltmpics opening ceremony July 23rd. Admin originally missed the R5 by a year also. Canan has always released its 1Dx prior to the summer Olympics. You can expect the same. Likely will be deluvered to the Olympic venues first, just as they did in Rio, except no need for shipping.

Canon has never released a 1Dx.

There's never been an event called the Summer Oltmpics, either.

Canan has never made a single camera. Ever.

No Canon camera, including the 1D X series traditionally released in Q1 of Summer Olympic years, has ever had louvers that required them to be deluvered, either.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Actually, they do. Canon (and all the other camera manufacturers) are increasingly dependent on enthusiasts with disposable income to sustain their business. The old user base of professionals is shrinking and is now too small to sustain a market for 1 series bodies.

Sad but true. I've been saying as much for years and being constantly told how the "pros" are the only market Canon cares about for the 1-Series. Yeah, right.

Canon saw the handwriting on the wall a long time ago. That's why the 1Ds series morphed into the 5D Mark III and 5D Mark IV after the 1D X was announced in 2012 with no corresponding higher megapixel 1D Xs. Compare the 2008 5D Mark II AF system to the 2012 5D Mark III AF system that used the same hardware as the 2012 1D X. The 2016 5D Mark IV has the same AF hardware as the 2016 1D X Mark II.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Yep. No plans to purchase anything more expensive than that so I couldn't care less. Will happily replace my current R with one even if the R loses a ton of value as a result. I just want my R with IBIS and a useful control to replace the touch bar. They can even ditch the top LCD and magnesium body for all I care.

It's called the EOS R6.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
The RP does leave Canon with a lot of available names.
There could be an RP5, RP6, RP10, RP100, etc.
The R7 is supposed to be APS-C.
If Canon does that then it does not leave them a lot of room for full-frame mirrorless models starting with only the letter R followed by a number.

Sure it does.

R10, R20, R30, R40, R50, R60, R60a, R70, R77, R80, R90...

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I keep wondering, if it were an R7, what would it have that would be a big step up from an R5? More fps isn't a big great ask (do we need more than is in the R5 or R6? Lower MP? Not sure how much that really matters (20 vs 45, as 30...does that really give us anything?) Any ideas on what an R7 might bring besides a crop sensor?

I would think the high resolution R would be most likely. Bummed about no R1, but it gives me more time to save.

Cropped to APS-C dimensions, the 45MP EOS R5 only gives about 17 MP. An R7 is likely to at least match the 32 MP sensor found in the 90D and M6 Mark III. That is the same pixel density as an 82MP FF sensor.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I just checked my local dealer's online shop (Frankfurt, Germany): the 7DII isn't offered anymore. On Amazon still are several offerings, but this could be just some stocks. Looks a bit like Canon really phased out the production of the 7DII, despite saying that officially. I do hope for an R7, for birding...

The 7D Mark II was officially discontinued about three or four years ago. Since then, only the 7D Mark II + W-E1 stock number has been available. Be sure you're looking for the right listing. A lot of places have that stock number on back order, but say they will be getting more soon. It may be that Canon let production get behind in order to respond to the overwhelming demand for the R5 and R6 at a time when supply chain problems where at a peak.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
It will be a long time before I really hit the limits of what my R5 can do... which is a good thing!
Love playing with 4k120 as a previous stills-only shooter - even with only a 128GB CFe card. Was shooting hot air balloons inflating last weekend and got some nice stills and footage (is that still a term??) of the burns

On the other hand, some of us would prefer not to wear out our new and expensive R5 bodies on "high mileage" sports/action that requires us to crop to APS-C dimensions anyway if we can't justify spending what it takes to get a 300/2.8 or 400/2.8 to use under the (poor) lighting at high school/youth sports facilities. So bring on an R7 for the high mileage assignments and let us save the R5 for when we really need all that it has to offer.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

Not to mention that iTR actually works with the 1D X mark III! It's like cheating! You use the initial AF point to tell the camera what you want it to track and then the camera just tracks it!

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I said "about 100%" but why would a fool who can't read, comprehend facts or even have basic knowledge of photography call one of the best photographers in the U.S. pompous? No doubt you're one of people who comes to us begs for a job and can't meet our standards. We hire the best in the world not amatures who don't produce spot on perfect work at EVERY game.

It's a good thing your job doesn't depend upon you being able to correctly spell amateur even 1% of the time.

For the record, the word amateur means someone who does something for the love of doing that thing. It makes absolutely no inference that an amateur does that thing at an inferior level. On the other hand, the word professional only infers that one does something in exchange for monetary compensation, regardless of the level of performance. Kind of like a w***e.

There are plenty of people who are (or were, at their zenith several years ago) actually at the top of the heap in their field who are rather pompous. Woody Allen has always been a jerk. So has Dan Rather, Alec Baldwin, Howard Stern, and Rush Limbaugh. Faye Dunaway, Barbra Streisand, Steve Jobs, Jeff Bezos, Kanye West, Elon Musk, Tom Cruse, etc. are all known to be rather full of themselves.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0