Not open for further replies.

trulandphoto

Upstate NY photographer and retired atorney
CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
trulandphotography.com
Polansky said:
Eagle Eye said:
Entry level? Really? Do you even use one? In what ways, apart from autofocus, is the 5d mark ii an entry level dslr? As for putting a 12mp sensor from the 5d into a new body, do you really think canon would market a camera with iso 3200? They'd use the sensor from the 5d mark ii and stretch the technology. Everyone who was going to buy a 5d ii has pretty much bought one. Some will upgrade to a new higher end body, others will buy a second body on the lower end. Still others would upgrade from the rebel, 60d, or 7d. It would be shrewd of canon to puruse this.

Yes Mister, I use 2 5D mark II's as I am a professional wedding photographer. Feature wise the 5D MKII is nothing more then the 5D MK I except for a higher pixelcount and the added video (which is not being used by many photographers - not said videographers who love the 5D MKII).

If the 5D MKII hadn't had the video it would have been a 6 year old camera with just a higher MP sensor.

Compare the 5D MK II ISO performance with a Nikon D3 or D3x and you know that your 5D2 is not that special anymore... 5D MKII for these days is just old technology. As for the autofocus of the 5D MKII that has always been a big laugh. Just one central AF point which easily causes OOF pictures when you need to recompose (at big apertures) or when you are in low contrast conditions.

This seems like pure BS. Digic II vs. Digic 4, live view, almost twice the pixels with great IQ, sensor cleaning, etc. It's hard to believe you actually use cameras at all.

Upvote 0
Dave said:
Yeah, but I don't think so... If take a 7D going FF you have a 5D (or even more). And I wouldn't call a 7D "entry level" at the current pricing.

I can't understand why canon is spreading the line so much. If I were Canon I would reduce the number of product lines instead of increasing it.

1DS
1D
5D
7D
XXD
XXXD
XXXXD

Indeed! There's definitly missing a cheaper FF camera, but imo there is not that much room for a new line.

Agreed

I dont understand why they can't take the 60D as we have it today and stick the FF sensor of the 5D2 in there.
That could make the xxD series the entry FF cameras and differentiate them from the xxxD line better.

They really need to either drop or merge a few lines so they can refine their products to particular markets more.

eg
1D m4 (1D + 1Ds lines merged full frame PRO photo camera)
5D m3 (high end video rich DSLR)
7D (high end APS-c line)
60D m2 (budget FF line)
600D (basic APS-c line)
1100D (beginners DSLR line)

That way the xD series are the pro cameras, the xxD are the semi pros or advanced amateurs, xxxD is where the money is with the bulk of retail sales and hobbyists, xxxxD my first DSLR people (also in funky colours to sell to younger generations).

Upvote 0
B

Bokehmon

AG said:
Dave said:
Yeah, but I don't think so... If take a 7D going FF you have a 5D (or even more). And I wouldn't call a 7D "entry level" at the current pricing.

I can't understand why canon is spreading the line so much. If I were Canon I would reduce the number of product lines instead of increasing it.

1DS
1D
5D
7D
XXD
XXXD
XXXXD

Indeed! There's definitly missing a cheaper FF camera, but imo there is not that much room for a new line.

Agreed

I dont understand why they can't take the 60D as we have it today and stick the FF sensor of the 5D2 in there.
That could make the xxD series the entry FF cameras and differentiate them from the xxxD line better.

They really need to either drop or merge a few lines so they can refine their products to particular markets more.

eg
1D m4 (1D + 1Ds lines merged full frame PRO photo camera)
5D m3 (high end video rich DSLR)
7D (high end APS-c line)
60D m2 (budget FF line)
600D (basic APS-c line)
1100D (beginners DSLR line)

That way the xD series are the pro cameras, the xxD are the semi pros or advanced amateurs, xxxD is where the money is with the bulk of retail sales and hobbyists, xxxxD my first DSLR people (also in funky colours to sell to younger generations).

you clearly don't understand that the cost of producing a full frame sensor would mean that they cannot maintain the 60D price point. also, canon isn't can't just combine cameras, they need to compete against the competition at certain price points and features, which means that a one shoe fits all scenario is unlikely.

Upvote 0
G

gene_can_sing

I have a feeling this might be the Video optimized full frame.

Why? Because video works best with lower mega-pixels. I've read that for the best video, the camera shouldn't go above 12 mega pixels because it starts to introduce line skipping.

That would be awesome because I just want a full frame video camera with a flip screen (which many stills people hate) that has lower megapixels and better ISOs, kind of like the Nikon D700, but with good video.

This is what is needed. 1) A video based full frame, and also 2) a still based full frame 5D3 for those who hate video (but it will probably still have video because it's become a huge part of Canon's strategy). Video was a HUGE reason for the 5D2 success, so sorry stills people, but it's here to stay.

Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
Eagle Eye said:
It's only a matter of time until Canon follows through on this. Like they did with the 7d sensor, they'll place a full frame sensor in multiple bodies, stretching their profits from the r&d and actually reducing costs for the consumer in the long run as well. I wouldn't be surprised, given that the 5d mark ii is fairly frequently backordered, if Canon simply placed the same sensor in a plastic body, stuck a digic 5 in there, and pulled a bunch of features out. The cost of producing it would not be staggering and i surmise it would sell well as a prosumer camera at around 1600?
I love this idea, and hope entry level is actually really accessable.

Upvote 0
pwp said:
7DII with FF just won't happen. It would shut out too many potential upgrade customers with a current 7D and a bag full of EF-S glass.

Paul Wright

I can count 4 EF-S lenses that would make people possibly hesitate at FF and nothing more:
EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM

I own and use the last 3; they wouldn't stop me from getting a FF camera. The above lenses resale isn't all that bad, if you got them at a reasonably good price to start with.

Whatever the badge is, an entry level FF is DEFINITELY aimed at the 60D/7D owners and potential buyers.

We also don't know what's going to happen with the next gen of cameras. I've seen more than a few people on this forum mention that they do not like the articulating screen for robustness reasons, but it'd be hard for a company to explain why an articulating screen isn't added to any 'entry' level camera in almost any camera.

Personally, I like the rumor but won't get my hopes up . . . I wanted a 7D but could not force myself to pony up the cash and not get FF. I guess we'll see.

Upvote 0
I agree that many of the ef-s lenses are very good. Often the 1.62x crop offers a really nice reach advantage and with the rise of affordable and optically good ultra wides there is often little to choose between the two crop formats. But full frame does offer better pixel clarity and contrast and then there's the whole depth of field debate. If I want less dof....ff rules, if I want more dof....the 1.62x crop rocks.
Personally, I use both formats and love em both.

Upvote 0
U

UncleFester

trulandphoto said:
Polansky said:
Eagle Eye said:
Entry level? Really? Do you even use one? In what ways, apart from autofocus, is the 5d mark ii an entry level dslr? As for putting a 12mp sensor from the 5d into a new body, do you really think canon would market a camera with iso 3200? They'd use the sensor from the 5d mark ii and stretch the technology. Everyone who was going to buy a 5d ii has pretty much bought one. Some will upgrade to a new higher end body, others will buy a second body on the lower end. Still others would upgrade from the rebel, 60d, or 7d. It would be shrewd of canon to puruse this.

Yes Mister, I use 2 5D mark II's as I am a professional wedding photographer. Feature wise the 5D MKII is nothing more then the 5D MK I except for a higher pixelcount and the added video (which is not being used by many photographers - not said videographers who love the 5D MKII).

If the 5D MKII hadn't had the video it would have been a 6 year old camera with just a higher MP sensor.

Compare the 5D MK II ISO performance with a Nikon D3 or D3x and you know that your 5D2 is not that special anymore... 5D MKII for these days is just old technology. As for the autofocus of the 5D MKII that has always been a big laugh. Just one central AF point which easily causes OOF pictures when you need to recompose (at big apertures) or when you are in low contrast conditions.

This seems like pure BS. Digic II vs. Digic 4, live view, almost twice the pixels with great IQ, sensor cleaning, etc. It's hard to believe you actually use cameras at all.

I love drive-by rumors - instant flame-war. ;)

@Polansky - I hear what you're trying to say but price-wise alone place the 5D and 5DII well above entry-level.

If Canon comes out with another ff and categorizes it as "entry-level", it may very well feature higher tech specs than the current 5D, but will have a plastic body, pop-op flash, flip-out lcd, etc. In hand it will feel much cheaper and perform accordingly.

@Truland- you have some nice photos on your site.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2011
dstppy said:
pwp said:
7DII with FF just won't happen. It would shut out too many potential upgrade customers with a current 7D and a bag full of EF-S glass.

Paul Wright

I can count 4 EF-S lenses that would make people possibly hesitate at FF and nothing more:
EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM

I own and use the last 3; they wouldn't stop me from getting a FF camera. The above lenses resale isn't all that bad, if you got them at a reasonably good price to start with.

Whatever the badge is, an entry level FF is DEFINITELY aimed at the 60D/7D owners and potential buyers.

We also don't know what's going to happen with the next gen of cameras. I've seen more than a few people on this forum mention that they do not like the articulating screen for robustness reasons, but it'd be hard for a company to explain why an articulating screen isn't added to any 'entry' level camera in almost any camera.

Personally, I like the rumor but won't get my hopes up . . . I wanted a 7D but could not force myself to pony up the cash and not get FF. I guess we'll see.

Don't forget 3rd party crop lenses like the Tokina 11-16mm. The FF ultrawides are not cheap.

Upvote 0
R

robert55

For the foreseeable future 7D [with mark#] will be the name of Canon's top crop camera. There is a clear place for such a camera. Making it FF would turn it into a sort of 5D]

This newest rumor is in two ways consistent with earlier rumors about the 5D3:
- the price of the 5D3could go up significantly, which leaves more room for a ceaper model [a 60D equivalent with FF]
- the new 5D would get a sensor with fewer pixels than the new 1Ds would get

The unlikely thing with the second part is that Canon would have to make three different sensors for FF. Even if they rework the 5D2 sensor for the cheapest camera that is a lot compared to the use of basically the same sensor in three crop camera's and Sony using the same sensor in its SLT and Nex lines and selling versions to Pentax and Nikon

Upvote 0
M

martijn

Interesting thought...but I think this is just a pipedream.

Apart from the extra R&D costs involved (for an 'entry level' product that, as such, would probably sell at lower profit margins), production facilities are still recovering from events earlier this year.
Refresh cycles have been delayed across the board as it is-I doubt whether there would be enough headroom for an extra level in the range.

If they really would want to do something like this, it would be far simpler to lower prices on the 5DII, keeping it current alongside a new, and much more expensive 5DIII. But they can't make enough 5DII's as it is...I don't see that happening either. And you certainly can't just stick an FF sensor into an existing APS-C design, the metrics and dynamics are very different.

Actually, FF cameras aren't entry-level product by definition-they do require bigger and better glass too, and longer tele's to make up for the lack of crop factor...and, just in case you hadn't noticed (ouch!), quality glass is getting more expensive by the minute...

Upvote 0
this is most probably a pipe dream

unless the camera is an 8D catering to video users, with a very small megapixel count (<12) but getting rid of all the current issues (line-skipping, rolling shutter, etc)

because this could make sense, and because they could share the R&D cost for such a sensor with the video division

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The 5D MK II is already the photosite density of the Canon 20D. Thats very low. even Nikoon executives admitted that their low pixel count would not happen again.

This sounds like it was made up by someone who likes the old 6mp Canon D30, because thats what we would have density wide if there were a 12mp FF camera like the D700.

I'd certainly never downgrade to one from my 5D MK II or trade out my 7D either for that matter.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.