A second camera will be announced with the EOS R50 in Q1 2023

I don't think so, sorry. Maybe an R successor.
But if I had a wish, I'd say compact RP successor with actual FF sensor.
Keep fingers crossed. ;)
There is a little to none chances RP will ever have a successor. 1) Every one wants to have a big grip for some reason. 2) All the hype is around the video. Photography effectively dead from business standpoint/doesn't produce revenue. 3) RP is the cheapest FF with a list of modern features. An upgrade will boost expenditure for R&D and production. A successor the R is R6. Entry price for FF with latest features is 2.5k. You'll see, Z6 III will price at around 2.5k as well as a7-4. Again, there is no need to produce a better camera for less money. It doesn't make sense.

You see, I feel like the RP could be better through software updates. Battery could be fixed by making sleeping mode more effective. 1) No need to wake up the camera by its view finder (
). It could wake up by a button or two. 2) Fv could give back user 1 wheel for a switch - this way we could have three wheels for iso, shutter speed and aperture. 3) Silent mode could be exposed. Even if its flawed. There is no need to hide it behind focus stacking. Its all about tossing this and that. I would rather buy such firmware upgrade than a new camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
RP mk2? Long overdue, a compact full-frame at the $1,200 - $1,400 price point, maybe sacrificing IBIS but otherwise benefitting from an improved sensor (better DR rather than more pixels), viewfinder, battery longevity, HEIF files, optional dual battery grip, separate door for SD card, new flash shoe standard, ....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
There is a little to none chances RP will ever have a successor. 1) Every one wants to have a big grip for some reason. 2) All the hype is around the video. Photography effectively dead from business standpoint/doesn't produce revenue. 3) RP is the cheapest FF with a list of modern features. An upgrade will boost expenditure for R&D and production. A successor the R is R6. Entry price for FF with latest features is 2.5k. You'll see, Z6 III will price at around 2.5k as well as a7-4. Again, there is no need to produce a better camera for less money. It doesn't make sense.

You see, I feel like the RP could be better through software updates. Battery could be fixed by making sleeping mode more effective. 1) No need to wake up the camera by its view finder (
). It could wake up by a button or two. 2) Fv could give back user 1 wheel for a switch - this way we could have three wheels for iso, shutter speed and aperture. 3) Silent mode could be exposed. Even if its flawed. There is no need to hide it behind focus stacking. Its all about tossing this and that. I would rather buy such firmware upgrade than a new camera.
I would disagree, the RP has many qualities but the sensor (6D mk 2 from 2016) and EVF are showing their age, and there are some necessary tweaks to the physical camera that would not entail huge R&D while making the camera very current. I think there is definitely a market for a more budget-oriented full-frame, since there are competent lenses at reasonable prices (24-240, 24-105, 100-400, 16, 35, 50, 85 primes) that make little sense if the R6 mk2 is the entry product in FF. IBIS is not a necessity for stills as most of the affordable lenses have IS

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
The problem is that ALL people who review anything on YouTube of course are YouTubers. They use a camera for video and therefore want the best video features. People, who do not like taking videos at all, will never be a YouTube. So there is a heavy bias in favour of video. That fact bothers me more and more, because those few YouTubers have a big influence on how cameras look like. If they convince their viewers that they really need a feature, camera manufacturers might include it.

I am not sure if we would have all those mirrorless cameras today if it was not for video. Of course mirrorless cameras have other advantages, but video is the main one. Even a DSLR turn into a mirrorless camera in video mode.

Even if Canon will not want to spend any more money for the development of new DSLRs, I wish they would at least update their DSLRs, which are still produced, with stacked BSI sensor once they become cheap enough.

If Canon brings a very cheap mirrorless camera with an RF-Mount, I might buy it just to try out mirrorless cameras. However coming from a good DSLR a cheap mirrorless camera might disappoint me.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
RP mk2? Long overdue, a compact full-frame at the $1,200 - $1,400 price point, maybe sacrificing IBIS [...]
I suspect the IBIS adds a significant bit of depth, like multiple millimetres, to the sensor assembly, so to keep it compact you'd have to say no to IBIS.

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
I suspect the IBIS adds a significant bit of depth, like multiple millimetres, to the sensor assembly, so to keep it compact you'd have to say no to IBIS.
Sorry, English as a second language, I did mean indeed to skip IBIS for the entry level cameras, it is expensive, takes up room and drains the battery and if you have IS lenses, it is a "nice to have" but not a "must have". It comes into its own with the expensive large aperture primes (50, 85, etc.. ) and new zooms like the 28-70 f:2L.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
All Canon needed was an M6 II with a side flip screen and a tally light
And a small 15f/2 lens. The Sigma 16 f/1.4 is a bit too large and it isn't a Canon lens.

Update: I wonder about the marketing politics surrounding Canon's transition to mirrorless. When the M-system was first proposed, I would have expected a lively discussion within Canon about the best way to make the transition, resulting in a coherent long range marketing plan. That doesn't seem to have happened.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I´m hoping for a R successor which I would name R8. I predicted an R6 mkii very early (some people in this forum made a lot jokes about that prediction :) ) and I stated it would make sense in order to further differentiate it from an R8/ R successor without cutting in R6 sales. Now, that is has actually happened, I hope for this camera. Since the R is now over four years and admittedly has had some flaws from the very beginning, the time might have come. If it had:

- 30mp (or 32-34)
- IBIS
- 10 FPS mechanical & 18 electronically
- some kind of joystick
- improved AF (of course)

I´d preorder it asap. I don\'t exactly know how the video specs would have to turn out in order of \"market segmentation\" compared to the R6mkii, but I actually don\'t care because I don\'t shoot a lot of video and any form of 4k is already overkill for me.

Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
I would have expected a lively discussion within Canon about the best way to make the transition, resulting in a coherent long range marketing plan. That doesn't seem to have happened.
CanonRumors OP stated before that the M50 was designed by the Powershot group, which I wonder if they will remain a group due to smartphones market share increase. Will the R50 be "their" project or DSLR division??
I wish they would at least update their DSLRs, which are still produced,
Are there any at all being manufactured? I thought I read they were all discontinued.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
When the M-system was first proposed, I would have expected a lively discussion within Canon about the best way to make the transition
I do not think the M-system was ever meant to be a transition.
It seems to be deemed as another product line.
The R-system sure does seem like a transition.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Are there any at all being manufactured? I thought I read they were all discontinued.
There are still a few in production.
I am confident in that because they have run out and been resupplied.
Canon even issued some production delays.
On the other hand, that could theoretically happen due to shipping delays.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
I do not think the M-system was ever meant to be a transition.
It seems to be deemed as another product line.
The R-system sure does seem like a transition.
Another product line with an apparent 10-year life span? The M-mount is virtually the same size as the Sony E-mount and look at what Sony has done with that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
I really hope is an R or RP replacement. Give some love to the entry-level segment please!

R was never entry level and it's replacement was the R5. Similar build quality, magnesium body, top LCD screen, etc. Or the R6.
The RP is the proper entry level and could use an upgrade because it's 3 years old.

Upvote 0