Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
privatebydesign said:
Lee Jay said:
privatebydesign said:
Though how a pro photographer can bitch about $10 a month for THE best, most universally accepted, powerful, taught, understood, supported etc photo software package on the planet does strike to the heart of his professionalism.

PS? It's a POS for photo editing. It's slow to use, clogged full of bloat for graphic artists, and generally has the worst user interface on the planet.

Once upon a time it was for photographers. No more.

No it isn't, it is the benchmark. You might not have the skill levels to get the results you want easily, so what?

I do photo restorations with it. I know how to use it. It's powerful, but horrible to use. I actually prefer using an older version of Elements over CS6 or CC, even though even that is pretty poor.

But that's not for photo editing, it's for restoration and compositing. I use Lightroom to actually edit photos.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 29, 2011
Lee Jay said:
privatebydesign said:
Lee Jay said:
privatebydesign said:
Though how a pro photographer can bitch about $10 a month for THE best, most universally accepted, powerful, taught, understood, supported etc photo software package on the planet does strike to the heart of his professionalism.

PS? It's a POS for photo editing. It's slow to use, clogged full of bloat for graphic artists, and generally has the worst user interface on the planet.

Once upon a time it was for photographers. No more.

No it isn't, it is the benchmark. You might not have the skill levels to get the results you want easily, so what?

I do photo restorations with it. I know how to use it. It's powerful, but horrible to use. I actually prefer using an older version of Elements over CS6 or CC, even though even that is pretty poor.

But that's not for photo editing, it's for restoration and compositing. I use Lightroom to actually edit photos.

"Horrible to use" and "worst user interface on the planet" are entirely subjective, many find it a delight to use and entirely intuitive when put in the context of feature set and growth. It seems a company can never please everybody, but Adobe have made efforts to try, they very rarely remove an outdated feature for fear of annoying people who love the older version, if they were to force you to use the newer tool they would be accused of all sorts, they leave in the old tool and they are accused of bloat. I am so glad i am not a project manager at Adobe!

What can't be argued is the power and capability of the thing, oh, no wait, it is Adobe, you'll argue it..................

Photoshop is still the photo editing benchmark, that you can't get on with it shows a deep misunderstanding of how you can make it work how you want, start making custom keyboard shortcuts and learn to use a Wacom well and the thing is effortless and fast.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 29, 2011
Do what you like, I am just saying that if you keep on and on and on belittling my input whilst questioning my background despite the fact that I have answered you both privately and in public, both pleasantly and rudely, I will react.

I don't understand why you feel the need to pick the scab incessantly, but is you that does it.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 29, 2011
RLPhoto said:
My original comment had nothing to do with you, and just like a lot of these threads, ends up with you. Maybe it's just a Ying-yang thing or maybe it's just we disagree.

That wouldn't be quite so hard to believe if you hadn't included a quote of mine to start it all off.

RLPhoto said:
privatebydesign said:
Marsu42 said:
RLPhoto said:
I'd immediately switch to another alternative for LR.

Reminds me of people (not necessarily you) saying "I'll switch to Sonikon if the 5d3/whatever doesn't deliver xyz" just before upgrading anyway. To what will you switch to? DxO with the inferior library management? Acdsee? Windows Paint?

Adobe have build themselves a near-monopoly buy eliminating or (mostly) buying out the competition, so that's that.

It always makes me laugh, we have pros and keen amateurs with thousands, often 10's of thousands of dollars worth of gear who bitch and threaten to throw their toys out of the pram over $10 a month.
It makes me laugh at users who have tens of thousands of dollars worth of gear and have little to show for it. Oh well. ::)

See? Your comment is directed at mine, mine was directed at Marsu's. It isn't a Ying Yang thing, you take every opportunity to take a pop at me and I don't understand why, sometimes I rise to the bait sometimes I don't.

But I am bored now so have the last word.......

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
privatebydesign said:
RLPhoto said:
My original comment had nothing to do with you, and just like a lot of these threads, ends up with you. Maybe it's just a Ying-yang thing or maybe it's just we disagree.

That wouldn't be quite so hard to believe if you hadn't included a quote of mine to start it all off.

RLPhoto said:
privatebydesign said:
Marsu42 said:
RLPhoto said:
I'd immediately switch to another alternative for LR.

Reminds me of people (not necessarily you) saying "I'll switch to Sonikon if the 5d3/whatever doesn't deliver xyz" just before upgrading anyway. To what will you switch to? DxO with the inferior library management? Acdsee? Windows Paint?

Adobe have build themselves a near-monopoly buy eliminating or (mostly) buying out the competition, so that's that.

It always makes me laugh, we have pros and keen amateurs with thousands, often 10's of thousands of dollars worth of gear who bitch and threaten to throw their toys out of the pram over $10 a month.
It makes me laugh at users who have tens of thousands of dollars worth of gear and have little to show for it. Oh well. ::)

See? Your comment is directed at mine, mine was directed at Marsu's. It isn't a Ying Yang thing, you take every opportunity to take a pop at me and I don't understand why, sometimes I rise to the bait sometimes I don't.

But I am bored now so have the last word.......
It's like me having a conversation with marsu, and some guy yells in the background his opinions, and I yell back something quick and return to the conversation at hand. I mean, did you have to include Marsu's comment at all to say that? I think your point was very clear on its own.

Upvote 0
I have noticed a bit all over in the Northern hemisphere that people are picking fight for reasons I cannot see.
It might be the Celestial Waves produced by the Spring Equinox. Or the fact that the winter has lasted too long.
A mood epidemic seems to be going on there, whatever the cause.
I see mood epidemics here during the cyclone season that is just about to finish. The air here is already lighter to breath. I think we made it...now towards the Austral Winter at an increased speed.

As for LR upgrades, with only one dealer who can deliver, he pretty much calls the shots.
We can hate it all we can, ALLCAPS and flame but Adobe has the image industry hooked up in such a big way that whatever we might come up with here, they will Nike it. ("Just Do It")

Meanwhile, how to take better pictures....

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
privatebydesign said:
Photoshop is still the photo editing benchmark, that you can't get on with it shows a deep misunderstanding of how you can make it work how you want, start making custom keyboard shortcuts and learn to use a Wacom well and the thing is effortless and fast.

So, all I need to do to make a commercial piece of software work well is custom short cuts, a clunky and expensive piece of hardware, and an entire industry of educators built up to teach people how to use this moderate-complexity piece of software.

Yep...sounds like a first-rate product to me.

To put this in perspective, I learned to hand-code assembler faster by a factor of 10 than I learned how to use Photoshop. In fact, I've learned every programming language faster than I learned PS. Matlab is 10 times as new user friendly as PS, and it has a better user interface!

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
AcutancePhotography said:
So just to recap nine pages of replies

Some people like the subscription option for Adobe products.
Some people don't like the subscription option for Adobe products.

Nine pages... so far to say something that only takes two lines.

Gotta love CR.

Total oversimplification.

Some people like other people not liking the subscription option for Adobe products.
Some people don't like other people liking the subscription option for Adobe products.
Some people just don't care.

martti said:
I have noticed a bit all over in the Northern hemisphere that people are picking fight for reasons I cannot see.
It might be the Celestial Waves produced by the Spring Equinox. Or the fact that the winter has lasted too long.

Well, Boston just broke the annual snowfall record, we've had >3 m of snow this season. Ugh. Maybe now that the record has been broken, Spring can come?

Upvote 0
Three meters of snow? I take you are talking vertically, like in depth. Like two quarterbacks, one standing on the shoulders of the bigger one.
Where will you put all the water when it melts?

We only get torrential rains down here, two people reported missing and bodies not found.
A mudslide took down the only highway on the east coast. Falling rocks blocked the same highway on the west coast. The price of tomatoes went from 0.89 to over 3 euros.

While I am pondering whether I should buy the 50mm f/1.2 at 850 euros or not....

The world is so strange at times, just so strange that if you cannot find anything to laugh about, you cry your eyes dry.

Upvote 0
You know, Réunion Island is carrying the World Record of rain in 12 hours and in 24 hours. I thought we had the world's highest rainfall / year also but I cannot find the references so I shut up. It should have been on the east coast where the monsoon rains down something like 13'000mm per year.
Whatever, if you say I should buy the 50mm L, I probably should.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
AcutancePhotography said:
So just to recap nine pages of replies

Some people like the subscription option for Adobe products.
Some people don't like the subscription option for Adobe products.

Nine pages... so far to say something that only takes two lines.

Gotta love CR.

Total oversimplification.

Some people like other people not liking the subscription option for Adobe products.
Some people don't like other people liking the subscription option for Adobe products.
Some people just don't care.

Good point. Who should really care what other photographers chose for their LR license?

I like that Adobe is giving their customers a choice. Choice is good.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.