AFMA Reikan FoCal vs Lens Align vs anything else

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
The line that bothers me is highlighted below, we take the time to set up our cameras to fulfil our needs (wants) then we get told the only way to get reliable shots is to have the camera in its default setting (extrapolated from the fact that they want the test done without any customisation). Plus the resets don't clear down certain settings, afma being one of them if my memory serves me well and the one most likely to affect results. Yes I know that afma is mentioned separately in the setup.
I do hope that once you have gone to these lengths they ask you to send the camera in for them to sort out and that when you get it back it can match or exceed the results Alan is getting (after all in a just world (yeah I know that it is often not just) the premium you payed should get you premium results :) ).

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
Because of my ongoing issues with the 1DX2 AF and AFMA Canon has requested I send RAW files for them to analyze. This is a little more detailed/specific than what they have on-line as a guide so I thought some CR folk might like to see it.

Jack

Here is an example of a focus test that you can follow, if you want.

2. Use the ?Clear all camera settings? and ?Clear all Custom Functions? of the camera to reset the camera to its default factory settings.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Valvebounce said:
we get told the only way to get reliable shots is to have the camera in its default setting (extrapolated from the fact that they want the test done without any customisation).

I may have misunderstood your comment but IMO Canon know that AFMA should not be needed and they want to be sure any inaccuracy is not down to the customer firtling with it.

How often have we had bit of technical equipment and played with settings then layered change on change and not wondered how we go to where we ended up. In my brief excursion with technical assistance it is surprising how often errors are caused by the user thinking they are dong the right thing.

Also, I have read several comments with zoom lenses (which have more compromises than prime lenses) where
the have used AFMA then reset to factory and realised that they actually preferred the 'factory' version. Human perception is a devil of thing sometimes.

So I can understand why Canon have said to reset everything.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Appreciate the comments Graham and Mike.

I can save my settings to my card, and yes, it is a lot of fiddling to go through otherwise. I know because I had already tried that trick before contacting Canon but it is actually a good practice activity since it is easy to forget the process required to achieve certain desired customization. The 1DX2, maybe even more than the 5D4/7D2, has great options, especially for AF relative to different buttons. You can switch instantly between 4 or 5 AF modes/points by "rocking" fingers/thumb on buttons you've chosen to program to AF. In all cases the 1st finger shutter AF operation gets overridden. It's very well thought out.

One super big frustration is cloud and snow when theoretically it's now spring! I might have had this all sorted out long ago if not for winter and needing great light for F8 testing of 800mm.

Not to mention that last February a contracted tiling job in my home was botched and I had it aborted and proceeded to correct my severe floor unevenness/level issues (that the contractor should have stated as a reason he would not attempt the job!). At the moment I'm beginning the dry layout of my new tiles and if I can gather courage, I'll do the job myself. IOW I'm close to a nervous breakdown. :'( ;)

Pretty frivolous complaints/excuses, I know.

Jack

Attachments

• Floor_4813.JPG
    Floor_4813.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 179
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
H Mike.
I wasn't so much meaning the afma needing to be reset as all the other customisations that one wouldn't necessarily link to poor af performance. However I do understand the problem with layers of customisation and the unknown problems interactions may cause.

Cheers, Graham.

Mikehit said:
Valvebounce said:
we get told the only way to get reliable shots is to have the camera in its default setting (extrapolated from the fact that they want the test done without any customisation).

I may have misunderstood your comment but IMO Canon know that AFMA should not be needed and they want to be sure any inaccuracy is not down to the customer firtling with it.

How often have we had bit of technical equipment and played with settings then layered change on change and not wondered how we go to where we ended up. In my brief excursion with technical assistance it is surprising how often errors are caused by the user thinking they are dong the right thing.

Also, I have read several comments with zoom lenses (which have more compromises than prime lenses) where
the have used AFMA then reset to factory and realised that they actually preferred the 'factory' version. Human perception is a devil of thing sometimes.

So I can understand why Canon have said to reset everything.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
It looks like your floor is going to be nice when you are finished, don't let these things push you over the edge.

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
Appreciate the comments Graham and Mike.

I can save my settings to my card, and yes, it is a lot of fiddling to go through otherwise. I know because I had already tried that trick before contacting Canon but it is actually a good practice activity since it is easy to forget the process required to achieve certain desired customization. The 1DX2, maybe even more than the 5D4/7D2, has great options, especially for AF relative to different buttons. You can switch instantly between 4 or 5 AF modes/points by "rocking" fingers/thumb on buttons you've chosen to program to AF. In all cases the 1st finger shutter AF operation gets overridden. It's very well thought out.

One super big frustration is cloud and snow when theoretically it's now spring! I might have had this all sorted out long ago if not for winter and needing great light for F8 testing of 800mm.

Not to mention that last February a contracted tiling job in my home was botched and I had it aborted and proceeded to correct my severe floor unevenness/level issues (that the contractor should have stated as a reason he would not attempt the job!). At the moment I'm beginning the dry layout of my new tiles and if I can gather courage, I'll do the job myself. IOW I'm close to a nervous breakdown. :'( ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

there are times to be picky and times not to be. A floor you'll be looking at for the next 40 years (maybe more) must be right.

My gran accepted a tiled fireplace with a duff tile in the top left corner. She lived in that house for 50 years and that tile annoyed her all that time. (replacing the tile wasn't an option, it would have had to be a whole new fireplace)

You'll get it right and you'll have a story to tell, and you'll always be happy you did it.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks guys, I really need the encouragement. BTW the tile I chose for the botched job was not nice :( so I am thankful to be rectifying that with the new choice. I agree looking at a serious flaw for many years is not exactly compatible with my personality. The floor has been leveled and bolstered as best I can and it's an awful lot better than it was so ....I hope?

I have deer visiting at dusk to eat my bird's corn that I scatter on the ground so I've set up flash 2 outside and flash 1 on camera at 200mm to shoot out my window, hss. I'm going with 400 DO II in this case so maybe more of a head shot. Here's hoping they show up; it's my break from the tiling. :)

Jack

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
My limited experience with birds suggests that if you keep using the flash they will grow accustomed to it and it will not be such a problem, however the birds are fed and not hunted (by man), I don't know if the deer are familiar with hunting near you. If you can get the master flash off camera, use a YN-E3-E3 (the YongNuo has an AF assist grid and I believe the canon doesn't, (I do remember that you have the 600EX don't you)), the red / steel eye should be much reduced if not completely eliminated. I'm sure that you probably know all of this, but sometimes we get caught up in the minutia and overlook the obvious. :)

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
Well, the deer visited after dusk so my plan went off track with harsh flash and not pink but "blue eye". :(

Never the less fun to watch. They were not exactly thrilled with the flash.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Hey Graham, I used two Canon 600's - all I have. I can place the remote tripod mounted flash in a better orientation but the trigger flash is on camera. I could, using a cable, get the flash off camera but I'm not presently set up for this (I'm shooting through a circular cutout in a painted plexiglass insert in my open window because the deer spook easily). The remote was set to 24 mm and the master 200mm and I was using the 400 lens, which was actually too much for close proximity. Maybe I'll try 70-200. This was supposed to be fill flash but it was pitch black when they came.

Now, I better stop posting off topic.

Alan, I can't sleep thinking of me botching the renewed tiling effort but I'm forging ahead, regardless.

Upvote 0