african safaris body lens recommendations

Hello all,

I have made several two month long trips to Southern Africa in the last year. I carried two bodies, a 5D3 and a 7D2 with two wide angle lens and a 100-400 mark II. I was able to capture some good images, but most of the time I shot in low light conditions at dusk and dawn. The 7DII really let me down on low contrast images and I have since sold it. The 5D3 was much better. So now I am considering buying a 5D4 or a 1DX2 with a 500mm prime lens.

If anyone has experienced the challenges of Africa and can lend some suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it!

Robert

Jan 22, 2012
langdonb said:
Hello all,

I have made several two month long trips to Southern Africa in the last year. I carried two bodies, a 5D3 and a 7D2 with two wide angle lens and a 100-400 mark II. I was able to capture some good images, but most of the time I shot in low light conditions at dusk and dawn. The 7DII really let me down on low contrast images and I have since sold it. The 5D3 was much better. So now I am considering buying a 5D4 or a 1DX2 with a 500mm prime lens.

If anyone has experienced the challenges of Africa and can lend some suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it!

Robert

Dear Robert.
If you can afford it, 1dx2 is a much better camera for Africa. The fps itself is enough reason. There are more: faster response, 1 battery lasting all day.
Have a great safari

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The 5D MK IV is about the same in low light as the 5D MK III. A big issue is using a slow lens in low light. A 400mm f/4 will be better and still portable. Unfortunately, a 400mm f/2.8 is not something you would want to pack thru the jungle.

The other solution is a 1DX II. The Sony A7R II has good low light performance, but I'm not thinking I'd wish it on anyone. Sony does not yet have a 100-400mm FE zoom telephoto lens for it available, but its coming, and can be pre-ordered.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
if you go on (regular) game drives, you don't have to carry the lens. Jungle only applies to those places in Africa where they have it :) (most known safari destinations in East and Southern Africa don't). But: a 400 2.8 is indeed heavy and needs to be dragged along the airport as well. A 400 DO (F/4) is a good alternative. Also because a 500mm in many cases might actually be too tight. Also take into consideration what you are going to do. In a vehicle, you would need enough space for that 500. On a walking safari it's too heavy and a 100-400 would be better.

What exactly are your plans / destinations / interest in specific animals? (mammals, birds?)

5D IV is about the same at 5D3 at high iso, but when downsized to about 5d3 size, it's a bit better. And it holds up color better at high iso's I think. Downsized to 1DX II size, the difference is very small (slightly in favour of the 5D IV). An advantage is the fact that the 30mp files leave you some room for cropping. 1DX II is indeed faster and a very good battery (although one battery on a 5D IV will probably last you a whole morning or evening game drive for sure).

Also the live view and touch screen functions of the 5D IV could come in great, plus you can directly send some images thru wifi to your phone or tablet if you'd like to see them larger.

Upvote 0
edoorn said:
if you go on (regular) game drives, you don't have to carry the lens. Jungle only applies to those places in Africa where they have it :) (most known safari destinations in East and Southern Africa don't). But: a 400 2.8 is indeed heavy and needs to be dragged along the airport as well. A 400 DO (F/4) is a good alternative. Also because a 500mm in many cases might actually be too tight. Also take into consideration what you are going to do. In a vehicle, you would need enough space for that 500. On a walking safari it's too heavy and a 100-400 would be better.

What exactly are your plans / destinations / interest in specific animals? (mammals, birds?)

5D IV is about the same at 5D3 at high iso, but when downsized to about 5d3 size, it's a bit better. And it holds up color better at high iso's I think. Downsized to 1DX II size, the difference is very small (slightly in favour of the 5D IV). An advantage is the fact that the 30mp files leave you some room for cropping. 1DX II is indeed faster and a very good battery (although one battery on a 5D IV will probably last you a whole morning or evening game drive for sure).

Also the live view and touch screen functions of the 5D IV could come in great, plus you can directly send some images thru wifi to your phone or tablet if you'd like to see them larger.
Hello edoorn,
Thanks for your feedback. I mostly self drive in southern Africa, S.A., Botswana, Namibia and Zimbabwe. Next trip later in the year I will add Zambia. I will be setting up a base in Maun or Kasane, Botswana if I receive my residence permit. I mostly look for action/movement of game and predators, but also love raptors in flight. As you might know, most predator action in early morning and late afternoon, so my challenge is low light. L trip I shot only with the 5D3/100-400 with 1.4TC. So at f8 I was mostly at iso 800-1600 and in the shadows the noise was apparent but corrected with DxO software. But ultimately I think I will go for a 500 f4 and a 1DX2. From another thread I started got much feedback about the 5D4 and think I will not buy one. Just seems the difference in IQ/low light performance is worth the upgrade. But the features you speak off are tempting!

I think I might rent a 5D4 and 1DX2 when I arrive in Johannesburg to try them out. Would like to rent them at home, but home is Panama and no rental here.

Upvote 0