Airliners

Dec 25, 2015
It was a lovely day in June last year. Time for a trip to the airport. Then, a thunderstorm was forming, turning the evening sky to a real spectacle full of colours. It was a perfect time to test my new 7D II and - what can I say else? - i was not disappointed.

Three 'sunbirds' first.

;)

snowleo

Attachments

• sunbird1.jpg
    sunbird1.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 305
  • sunbird2.jpg
    sunbird2.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 295
  • sunbird3.jpg
    sunbird3.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 300
Dec 25, 2015
After the sunbirds, the 'after-sunset-bird' and the 10'000 ISO-bird.

After-Sunset-Bird:
ISO 6400, aperture 5.6, 1/25th sec., exposure + 0.7, handheld at 400 mm

10000-ISO-Bird:
ISO 10000!! (just testing), aperture 5, 1/160th sec, exposure -1.7, handheld at 124 mm

taken with my 7D II and the 100-400 L II

Attachments

• aftersunset01.jpg
    aftersunset01.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 307
  • 10000isobird.jpg
    10000isobird.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 313
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Snowleo.
A very nice series of shots, the colours of the sky are stunning.
How did you process the high ISO 10000 image? What are your thoughts on the usability of this ISO, to me it looks very usable, though others seem far more critical of the high ISO noise I think the 7DII has quite a reasonable appearance to the noise, far nicer to look at than the 7D for sure.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2015
To Graham (Valvebounce)

Hi Graham

Thank you for your comments and compliments. Indeed, I really like the 7D II, which, in my opinion, has far better and different noise than the 7D. I often use it with ISO 1600 or even 2000 when taking pictures of animals in winter at low light. There is a huge difference between the older and the new 7D - especially in sharpness (e.g. fur of animals).

I was just curious to see how the 7D II performs in high ISO when taking shots after sunset. I did not expect miracles but was surprised by some outstanding pictures - especially when thinking of all those pictures taken without a tripod I was really really surprised by the results. Of course, the new 100-400 II is an outstanding lens, too.

To your question about how usable these high ISO pictures are, well, let me say this: you surely won't enlarge it as big as 10 feet tall! ;) But I can imagine that it would be very usable for smaller prints (1 foot?? ;) )
You can make your own decision when looking at the pictures below. The first two are 100% crops of the original photo of the Holiday Jet Airbus A319. Picture 903_5198orig1 = jpeg from original unprocessed raw file (no noise reduction, no increase of contrast - just original), the ...pro1 file shows the same processed by Canon's digital photo professional-software version 4. Noise reduced in brightness level 11, in colours level 14. +1 in contrast that's all.

The second series shows the Iberia-Airbrus A320 at ISO 6400, the same like the first two pictures - first the unprocessed original, second processed by Canon's digital photo professional. No other software used.

I think, those results could be worse, could they? ;)

Snowleo
(my real name is Marcus)

Attachments

• 903_5198orig1.jpg
    903_5198orig1.jpg
    902.9 KB · Views: 289
  • 903_5198pro1.jpg
    903_5198pro1.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 276
  • 903_5220orig1.JPG
    903_5220orig1.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 280
  • 903_5220pro1.jpg
    903_5220pro1.jpg
    864.9 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2015
To TexPhoto:

Thank you for your compliments. I like the Avro as well. It is comfortable, nice view out of the windows without disturbing wings underneath. Unfortunately Swiss will replace all of them by the new Bombardier C-Series - just another plane that follows the A300-rule! ;)

To Neuroanatomist:

all pics taken at Zurich Airport (north end of the two main landing runways). And yes, we had extremely nice weather last year. But there can be different times as well. No snow in the mountains without snowfall, no water in the lakes without rain, this rule also applies to Switzerland. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
snowleo said:
To Neuroanatomist:

all pics taken at Zurich Airport (north end of the two main landing runways). And yes, we had extremely nice weather last year. But there can be different times as well. No snow in the mountains without snowfall, no water in the lakes without rain, this rule also applies to Switzerland. :)

Thanks, I generally fly into Zürich.

Here in New England we have snow, but no mountains. Oh, the locals call them that, but compared to the Alps or the Sierra Nevada of my native California, they're mere foothills.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Marcus.
Thank you for your in depth reply and the effort you put in to the examples, I too have tried the high ISO's including 16000 (only indoors of some furniture) and found that although the image was grainy it was at least ok for an I saw this shot and perhaps more useful than that.

Cheers, Graham.

snowleo said:
To Graham (Valvebounce)

Hi Graham

Thank you for your comments and compliments. Indeed, I really like the 7D II, which, in my opinion, has far better and different noise than the 7D. I often use it with ISO 1600 or even 2000 when taking pictures of animals in winter at low light. There is a huge difference between the older and the new 7D - especially in sharpness (e.g. fur of animals).

I was just curious to see how the 7D II performs in high ISO when taking shots after sunset. I did not expect miracles but was surprised by some outstanding pictures - especially when thinking of all those pictures taken without a tripod I was really really surprised by the results. Of course, the new 100-400 II is an outstanding lens, too.

To your question about how usable these high ISO pictures are, well, let me say this: you surely won't enlarge it as big as 10 feet tall! ;) But I can imagine that it would be very usable for smaller prints (1 foot?? ;) )
You can make your own decision when looking at the pictures below. The first two are 100% crops of the original photo of the Holiday Jet Airbus A319. Picture 903_5198orig1 = jpeg from original unprocessed raw file (no noise reduction, no increase of contrast - just original), the ...pro1 file shows the same processed by Canon's digital photo professional-software version 4. Noise reduced in brightness level 11, in colours level 14. +1 in contrast that's all.

The second series shows the Iberia-Airbrus A320 at ISO 6400, the same like the first two pictures - first the unprocessed original, second processed by Canon's digital photo professional. No other software used.

I think, those results could be worse, could they? ;)

Snowleo
(my real name is Marcus)

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2015
heavy traffic...

Today, I think I have to post a very special photo taken at Zurich Airport during a very special occasion. There was heavy traffic, very heavy traffic at Zurich Airport.

;D

Well, there is a story coming along with that photo. A friend of mine, (www.ginifoto.ch), has had a good idea once. She's a nice lady, except she's a 'Nikoneer and not a 'Canoneer'. She went to Zurich Airport to take photos of landing airliners. The idea was simply to take a series of pictures of the same landing airplane and stick them together with a panorama software. So she made it. After more than 2 hours of work at the PC at home, she was very pleased by the result, and, honestly, I was really surprised by the result as well and thought: what a good idea! But, well, I couldn't understand why she made a 'panorama-shooting' and did not take multiple exposures. Hm. I was curious, very curious. So we went to Zurich together. She explained how to do it, but the old pal snowleo did not so as she told him to do. I took my 5DIII and my 7DII and put them on a tripod, triggering up to 7 pics by the multiple exposure feature of my Canons - the result was immediately seen on the screen of the camera. It was one of those moments, a Nikoneer was speechless because of a Canoneer!

;D ;D ;D

The reason was that the D810 was simply not able to do the same! Multiple exposures: yes, in the Canon way: no!

So this is my result:

7D MkII on a manfrotto tripod, 15-85mm lens at 31 mm, multiple exposure (7 pics). So I can truly confirm: there was heavy traffic at Zurich Airport that evening, real heavy traffic!

;) ;)

Attachments

• heavytraffic1.jpg
    heavytraffic1.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 283
Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
lion rock said:
Oh, I can't believe it, Mr Surapon!! You can't be flying in economy cabin?! 8) ;D ;D. ;D :D
-r

Ha, Ha, Ha, Dear friend Mr. Lion rock.
No, I can not fly on First class or Business Class , Because I will get drunk before the airplane take off. That why just buy the ticket on Economy class, and try to get the Window seat as best as I can + eat the many bags of Peanuts.
Nice to talk to you again, Sir.
Have a great work week.
Surapon

Attachments

• SK-34.jpg
    SK-34.jpg
    589.9 KB · Views: 258
  • SK-21.jpg
    SK-21.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 264
  • SK-19.jpg
    SK-19.jpg