An EF & RF mount hybrid mirrorless camera in the works [CR2]

That sounds like a great idea. I'm not at all convinced that 24mm of flange depth is worth obsoleting all of my existing EF lenses. Now that Canon has skimmed-off the early adopters (who were going to buy almost any mirrorless solution Canon offered) it would be nice to see a better solution for EF lenses going forward.

Adaptors get old really quickly and I'm guessing the integrated filter thing sounds better than it really works.

If I have to use an adapter anyway, I might as well just buy an S1R or a A7/A9.

edit: I really appreciate the rumors and such but I think it's time Canon gave us some visibility into where they are going. IMO the entire EF vs RF vs M rollout has been a complete cluster that has done nothing but create a lot of uncertainty about the future of the brand.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Why should we care for the DSLR bodies? We might as well see their (pre)last iterations? If 1DX III is around the corner, I doubt it will sport this new hybrid mount. It will also make the bodies thicker? I would probably prefer an APS-C RF mount based mirrorless, than this one ....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
It will be interesting to see if this makes it to market. It would certainly simplify things for people using both DSLRs and Mirrorless at the same time.Also indicates that the EF line is far from dead. Perhaps there is still hope for an R to EF adapter down the line. True interchangeability would certainly be a plus.
If the IDXMKIII is a big hit with 30MP or better or substantially better IQ with stills, it will give Canon a lot of credibility if an R Body could utilize EF lenses with no degradation. I'd spend $8,000 on the MKIII if it was 30MP for stills with an OVF. $4,000 to $4500 if it's just 20MP. It seems to be more of a video camera than for stills. I'm a photographer but know videographers who might be interested.

Upvote 0
Why should we care for the DSLR bodies? We might as well see their (pre)last iterations? If 1DX III is around the corner, I doubt it will sport this new hybrid mount. It will also make the bodies thicker? I would probably prefer an APS-C RF mount based mirrorless, than this one ....
Because there are people who could care about mirrorless. I'll take a robust 1dx size mirrorless that will accept EF and RF lens in a heartbeat.I want the best of both worlds, not what the mirrorless fanboys want.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Because there are people who could care about mirrorless. I'll take a robust 1dx size mirrorless that will accept EF and RF lens in a heartbeat.I want the best of both worlds, not what the mirrorless fanboys want.

So recent EOS-R can't accept EF lens? That's news to me. Have you ever heard about the adapter? Ooooh, and a "mirrorless fanboy" argument, now you are a big boy :)

Upvote 0
My bet is on a movable sensor, which in fact could also be used to add some macro to RF lenses, just like an extension tube, and maybe even tilt/shift.

Stefang, that's brilliant. Every lens a tilt lens. Probably not shift. A movable sensor that could control tilt - wow. Talk about opportunities for computational aids. I could imagine a focus analysis done in a few milliseconds, and optimal tilt executed automatically. Pick 2 or three focus points, rather than just one.

That actually would be worth waiting the extra 2 years. Here is where we get our hopes up for a proper dashing.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
That sounds like a great idea. I'm not at all convinced that 24mm of flange depth is worth obsoleting all of my existing EF lenses. Now that Canon has skimmed-off the early adopters (who were going to buy almost any mirrorless solution Canon offered) it would be nice to see a better solution for EF lenses going forward.

Adaptors get old really quickly and I'm guessing the integrated filter thing sounds better than it really works.

If I have to use an adapter anyway, I might as well just buy an S1R or a A7/A9.

edit: I really appreciate the rumors and such but I think it's time Canon gave us some visibility into where they are going. IMO the entire EF vs RF vs M rollout has been a complete cluster that has done nothing but create a lot of uncertainty about the future of the brand.

I agree. My EF lenses work very well with the adaptor, but it's just one more thing to drag along.

I also agree with the visibility. I got an EOS R to complement my 5D4, mainly for the tilt/flip VF. I love the camera, but am waiting on buying any RF glass until I see exactly what they are doing. I bet a lot of others are sitting on the fence too.

This will just complicate it even more, I suspect, even if its true. I must say though, I strongly suspect EF will be replaced totally by RF over the next few years. It takes a lot of $$ to implement a new mount, and they will want us all to buy them...

Upvote 0

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015
This really doesn't make any sense...they already have an adapter, and no matter the flange distance, or the craziness of a movable sensor, there would still be the issue of the mount itself, which would need an adapter, one way or the other....and they already have that. This would imply a mirrorless EF camera with a moveable sensor and an adaptor to a larger flange mount and that's just coo-coo.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I just got EOS R kit due to a Black Friday offer and because I plan to get 2 2.8L IS zooms next year (since they have no EF equivalent unfortunately). Of course I claim NO expertise on this camera user interface but even after configuring some buttons to my taste I converted it from something mostly inconvenient to something so so.

The one thing like is the size/weight of this combo though.

If they could add the same functionality and the same button layout of the 5 (or 7) series it would be fantastic. Of course if they make an advanced model they might come close to this.

I do like the way the touch screen is being used for focusing point movement. But I cannot spare a configirable button for instant central positioning so there is that (so many functinality needs so few buttons!)

I saw that there is no way to configure a button to change the shooting mode from single to low or high continuous (only through touchscreen) at least using 1.4 firmware. I coulnd't even find it on the menu.
If I am wrong (3 day user so I may very well be) please feel free to correct me.

BUT, I cannot stress enough the size and weight of the combo especially If you want to squeeze it in a bag that also contains a 500mm f/4 lens with a 5 or 7 series camera!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
If I bought an RF mount body I'd want to use the EF adapters to use ND and polarizing filters on bulbous front element lenses, personally the EF15mm, the TS-E17 and the EF11-24, they would all get a new lease of life with those simple filter adapters. I wouldn't want the complexity of a moving sensor and lose that very appealing functionality.

Personally I am generally happy with my 1DX MkII's but am interested in a 1DX MKIII and a high resolution RF body if I can use my EF ultrawides with a filter adapter.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
I just got EOS R kit due to a Black Friday offer and because I plan to get 2 2.8L IS zooms next year (since they have no EF equivalent unfortunately). Of course I claim NO expertise on this camera user interface but even after configuring some buttons to my taste I converted it from something mostly inconvenient to something so so.

If they could add the same functionality and the same button layout of the 5 (or 7) series it would be fantastic. Of course if they make an advanced model they might come close to this.

I do like the way the touch screen is being used for focusing point movement. But I cannot spare a configirable button for instant central positioning so there is that (so many functinality needs so few buttons!)

I saw that there is no way to configure a button to change the shooting mode from single to low or high continuous (only through touchscreen) at least using 1.4 firmware. I coulnd't even find it on the menu.
If I am wrong (3 day user so I may very well be) please feel free to correct me.

BUT, I cannot stress enough the size and weight of the combo especially If you want to squeeze it in a bag that also contains a 500mm f/4 lens with a 5 or 7 series camera!
I use the mfn button to change the shooting mode. You press the mfn first, and then turn a wheel to change the shooting mode... Further, I have one button assigned to change between AI and Single AF, and one button to change focusing mode (point, expanded, etc)

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012

I suspect you will love it.

Once you get used to how to optimally use the touch screen, it is actuall

I bet after using it for a while you will love it.

Once you learn how to optimally use the touchscreen in your shooting style it is actually more functional and can do more than the older bodies. I felt the same way about wishing the 5D layout was preserved, but now not so much. The touchbar is about the only thing I would maybe lose, and add 5D level weather resistance.

Other than needing a new generation Hi-MP sensor, its pretty darn good.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I predicted the moving sensor more than a year ago to explain the 'sexy' mount solution in pre-R rumours.
Such a system can't be done without a sensor on rails.

On the other hand, why on earth would Canon do that now, after the EOS R release?
the R was obviously rushed and at the least an experiment. It was released in a beta state using an old sensor. pretty much an attempt to stop people from switching to other brands because of the mirrorless hype.

Upvote 0