Announcement details on the 1DX Mark III

After consulting the pics on the B&H web site, the lens is the 70-300 L. It definitely is not the 100-400. I have one beside me bolted to an R. The zoom ring is longer on the 100-400 otherwise it and the 70-300 are arranged similarly and there is the step down in diameter after the tripod mount.

It seems the camera pictured here does not have the plastic dome or roof over the pentaprism to house the gps and wireless antennas which shows prominently on B&H's 1DXiii photos. Perhaps that roof fell victim to a hurricane or Photoshop.
I don't know, the tripod collar on this image seems to match the 100-400's collar (check out the tightening knob), but the 70-300's collar doesn't seem to match up:
70-300 tripod collar https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/747346-REG/Canon_4429B001_Canon_Tripod_Mount_Ring.html

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
The two-tone raises the question of why a company that made its premium lenses distinctive with white color shouldn't so something similarly bold to make its camera bodies stand apart? Potentially appealing to me.

If it's bare magnesium it's unexpected to have the logo applied.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

MigueEsteves

EOS 5D Mark III EOS 6D EOS 300D
May 24, 2016
Portugal
The two-tone raises the question of why a company that made its premium lenses distinctive with white color shouldn't so something similarly bold to make its camera bodies stand apart? Potentially appealing to me.

They make big white lens because they tend to get very hot, white helps with that.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
After consulting the pics on the B&H web site, the lens is the 70-300 L. It definitely is not the 100-400. I have one beside me bolted to an R. The zoom ring is longer on the 100-400 otherwise it and the 70-300 are arranged similarly and there is the step down in diameter after the tripod mount.

It seems the camera pictured here does not have the plastic dome or roof over the pentaprism to house the gps and wireless antennas which shows prominently on B&H's 1DXiii photos. Perhaps that roof fell victim to a hurricane or Photoshop.

you are wrong, it "IS" the 100-400L II,

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
They make big white lens because they tend to get very hot, white helps with that.

The white is specific to science, not a "lets make it white to stand out sorta thing." White reflects sunlight much better then dark colors, dark colors absorb heat, when you have large areas that can heat up the "tub" of the lens (the inside) light rays bend and distort the image. This is the reason it is a mostly white in color.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018

If real, I think this is an unfinished prototype. While the distinctive look might be cool on the sidelines, wildlife photographers (myself) would hate this scheme because of reflections. I don't see Canon changing the ergonomics of the 1dx III at this stage of the DSLR lifecycle.

Upvote 0
you are looking into this WAY to deep, its the 100-400ii.
I agree with you - it is the 100-400, but when someone suggested it was a different lens I wanted to give them some sort of way of seeing for themselves that it was the 100-400 rather than just saying "you are wrong". Difference in approach to the conversation, but same perspective.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
If the camera is THAT big (seriously, it looks like two bricks taped together) and the sensor is only 20.X I'm going to scream.
Well if the camera is that big there is a 3rd surpise (1: 20mp 2: ugly white/black body) It is a medium format camera hence no 1DxIII !!! :p

EDIT: Which negates the 2nd surprise because in that super rare (CR0) case it does not correspond to 1DxIII at all! Oh well..

Upvote 0
If the camera is THAT big (seriously, it looks like two bricks taped together) and the sensor is only 20.X I'm going to scream.
I would bet that the 1DXIII will have nearly the exact same ergonomics/size as the 1DXII (which is a chunky camera on purpose), and the image seems to suggest that. If there is one thing the 1DX series isn't made for, it's size!

Upvote 0