Announcement details on the 1DX Mark III

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Wow, the quality of the rumors on this site has degraded significantly. You posted some image off instagram and tried to pass it off as a new camera?

Also, Fritz is an ambassador. I would guess that his post using the ad hashtag means he's been asked to post the image.

The "ad" hashtag is a reference to his location at the time: Abu Dhabi.

Even if he wasn't asked, considering the fact that Canon has already posted images of the 1D X Mark III exterior with the official "in development" announcement, it's not like he's violating an NDA.

Upvote 0
It will be nice to see how well the illuminated buttons are accepted or not. There were a lot of people on this forum against such an idea on any camera not long ago saying a real pro would have no need because it is all memorized. Of course, that neglects the fact that more than just professionals buy these beasts. Personally, I'd like it if a future R had illuminated buttons.
I like to think I have my buttons memorized pretty well too, but I'd still love illuminated buttons. If I need them illuminated then it is at least dark out, maybe cold. I find that if I've got gloves on, no-matter how well my memory works, I'm still pawing around for some buttons and occasionally hit the wrong one. I'd love if you could just turn them on or off using the button which lights up the top display right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Considering Canon has already released an "in development" announcement that reveals far more, how would this be a violation of any NDA agreement?

These are controlled leaks of information. Come on guys, no one in his right mind would post a photo of a unreleased equipment in testing without an explicit vendor’s permission.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
These are controlled leaks of information. Come on guys, no one in his right mind would post a photo of a unreleased equipment in testing without an explicit vendor’s permission.

Perhaps. But the original post was a fake, not a leak. Someone (other than the owner of the camera in question) tried to pass off a cosmetically modified 1D X Mark II (that's been around for quite some time) as the new 1D X mark III.

In the case of van Eldik, most NDA's have language to the effect that if the holder of the intellectual property or protected information (in this case it would be Canon) publicly reveals anything covered by the NDA, that portion of the NDA dealing with the specific information revealed is no longer in force. Otherwise, signing an NDA to get an advance copy of a camera for revue would mean never being able to publicly discuss anything about a camera, much less publish a revue of the camera, even after it is officially released.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Perhaps. But the original post was a fake, not a leak. Someone (other than the owner of the camera in question) tried to pass off a cosmetically modified 1D X Mark II (that's been around for quite some time) as the new 1D X mark III.

In the case of van Eldik, most NDA's have language to the effect that if the holder of the intellectual property or protected information (in this case it would be Canon) publicly reveals anything covered by the NDA, that portion of the NDA dealing with the specific information revealed is no longer in force. Otherwise, signing an NDA to get an advance copy of a camera for revue would mean never being able to publicly discuss anything about a camera, much less publish a revue of the camera, even after it is officially released.
correct. however, the image that was leaked by van Eldik was a very first image of the camera leaked into the public domain and not by Canon.. so.... it is blatantly obvious in this case. Do you recall any images of the camera available at the time of the development announcement? nope, none.. so.. this is indeed a controlled leak in order to keep Canon audience engaged. timely indeed.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I like to think I have my buttons memorized pretty well too, but I'd still love illuminated buttons. If I need them illuminated then it is at least dark out, maybe cold. I find that if I've got gloves on, no-matter how well my memory works, I'm still pawing around for some buttons and occasionally hit the wrong one. I'd love if you could just turn them on or off using the button which lights up the top display right now.
This. When working in extreme conditions...cold darkness, precarious positions...any amount of aid can be useful. Also the ability to change from a white to a red illumination would be great for night sky shooting. I love the red bulb on my headlamp so my eyes do not have adjustment issues nor any stray light for long exposures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
correct. however, the image that was leaked by van Eldik was a very first image of the camera leaked into the public domain and not by Canon.. so.... it is blatantly obvious in this case. Do you recall any images of the camera available at the time of the development announcement? nope, none.. so.. this is indeed a controlled leak in order to keep Canon audience engaged. timely indeed.

It may or it may not be. You have no definitive proof either way.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
It may or it may not be. You have no definitive proof either way.
What proof are you after? Of images of 1Dx III not previously being released or that person released these images being under NDA with Canon? :)
Let say, it is highly likely that images were released with a permission of the IP holder.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
What proof are you after? Of images of 1Dx III not previously being released or that person released these images being under NDA with Canon? :)
Let say, it is highly likely that images were released with a permission of the IP holder.

Of course they were. The permission is contained in the NDA, though. No additional authorization was needed, so it's not an "authorised leak", for which approval outside the terms of the NDA would be needed.

Notice he did NOT post any photos of the back of the camera, which has not appeared yet in any official public announcements from Canon.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Of course they were. The permission is contained in the NDA, though. No additional authorization was needed, so it's not an "authorised leak", for which approval outside the terms of the NDA would be needed.

Notice he did NOT post any photos of the back of the camera, which has not appeared yet in any official public announcements from Canon.
nope, negative. NDA is in a full force until such a time when images of the actual device have been released by IP holder into public domain or explicit permission to do so. they have not been yet. so....

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
nope, negative. NDA is in a full force until such a time when images of the actual device have been released by IP holder into public domain or explicit permission to do so. they have not been yet. so....

So exactly what are these images, hosted by Canon since the "in development" announcement, if they're not images of the actual device?

As for your "public domain" claim, that demonstrates fairly conclusively you have no idea what you're talking about.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
So exactly what are these images, hosted by Canon since the "in development" announcement, if they're not images of the actual device?

I missed these photos and was under impression that Canon have not released any images yet! my sincere apologies. I stand corrected.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

As for your "public domain" claim, that demonstrates fairly conclusively you have no idea what you're talking about.
It demonstrates fairly conclusive that i was not aware that these images were released and I have apologised for these.
It also demonstrates fairly conclusive that your have no idea what idea I have.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
It demonstrates fairly conclusive that i was not aware that these images were released and I have apologised for these.
It also demonstrates fairly conclusive that your have no idea what idea I have.

Your original comment directed at me about this was to a comment I made to someone else that included the same link to the same images... (which had appeared on this thread at least four times by then if you also count the link to the german language version)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Your original comment directed at me about this was to a comment I made to someone else that included the same link to the same images... (which had appeared on this thread at least four times by then if you also count the link to the german language version)
Does that explain why you call someone “no idea” despite I clearly stated that I am not aware of any official images release for the announcement?
Obviously calling someone “no idea” is rude.
I have apologised for being incorrect. I expect you do the same for calling me names.

P.S. here is the post where I clearly stated that I am not aware of any images of Canon 1dx III being released by Canon do date and asked for a clarification if there are any...

"... Do you recall any images of the camera available at the time of the development announcement? ..."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Does that explain why you call someone “no idea” despite I clearly stated that I am not aware of any official images release for the announcement?
Obviously calling someone “no idea” is rude.
I have apologised for being incorrect. I expect you do the same for calling me names.

P.S. here is the post where I clearly stated that I am not aware of any images of Canon 1dx III being released by Canon do date and asked for a clarification if there are any...

"... Do you recall any images of the camera available at the time of the development announcement? ..."

Sorry if you think it is rude to point out that you are wrong when you say no one can take their own picture of something and publish it unless the creator of the photo's subject has released their intellectual property regarding the subject into the public domain. That's blatantly incorrect.

When this conversation began, I wasn't responding to your comment that says, "... Do you recall any images of the camera available at the time of the development announcement? ..."

I was responding to a comment by slclick in which I included the link to Canon's page. You then replied to that comment and that's how this whole thing got started.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
You miss the point. Again.
The camera was given to a photographer for testing. This is my understanding. he is under NDA and not at liberty to release any information related to its properties: appearance, qualities, functions, price, look, feel, whatever.
That’s if one is under NDA. However, there is no such a limitation if there is no NDA in place.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

Yes, there are images released by Canon of the upcoming camera that continue to be displayed on their web pages with information about the EOS 1D X Mark III, such as the link included in my earlier comment to which you initially responded that led to the conversation including your comment quoted immediately above.

Upvote 0